REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
blanked

Do you rotate your tires yourself or take it in

rosies dad

I dont rotate tires or want my tires rotated. If a tire shows uneven wear, time to get a alignment. Seems like lots of unnecessary work to me.

Our family car is FWD, and the rear tires last the life of the car (we dont keep forever) but may replace the fronts for better traction in snow.

Ive found unless you do them regularly you may wind up with odd symptoms/noise that werent there before rotation. I just leave em on and run em till they need to be replaced.

trust me

I change my own oil and rotate my own tires.  I know it gets done, and if something goes wrong,I know who to blame.

Twice I've been stuck on the side of the road with a flat I couldn't remove, because an "impact jockey" ran them up so tight they wouldn't budge.  Once I walked into a shop waving a badly bent tire iron, asking the guy if he could guess how that happened. He knew, and apologized.  I told him this incident cost him all my future business. I doubt it changed his habits.

There's something to be said for maintaining at least some level of self-reliance in this automated world.

topdog1961

You can really put the hurt on lug nuts with one of these. It expands out really long and is very solid. They fit standard and metric and it all goes in a small bag. I keep one in every vehicle so I don't have wrestle with crap stock lug wrenches on some dark rainy backroad. 

They also make practical, thoughtful, and I've found, welcome gifts. 

image.jpeg

pa'tridge hunters

The place we buy our tires from rotates them for free.

RDG

Do my own oil changes and rotate my own tires on all our vehicles.  

At at the very least so this guy learns how to change a tire himself. He helps me change the oil too. 

FE6E9B0A-2C64-4605-9370-1768D8D2BD80.thumb.jpeg.e2eed1d8e932893b635c2e22c6b44d09.jpeg

The impact gun is set to low and usually gets me about 1/2- 1 full turn of the torque wrench clicking. 

11 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

What are torque sticks?

Basically an extension that's also a torque wrench with one value. 

Impact on and torque in one step. 

settem
52 minutes ago, NECarson said:

Basically an extension that's also a torque wrench with one value. 

Impact on and torque in one step. 

It might pay to check after the torque sticks. I’ve heard the actual torque can vary with them...

I do my own rotation every other oil change. The impact takes the lug nuts off and lightly snugs them back up, but I’m a big believer in using an actual torque wrench to tighten them up.

I tighten them to half the factory spec first, and then go around the vehicle again to spec, it just takes a few more minutes to do it right...

kgb

Always best to check with a torque wrench even with torque sticks, and a beam-style wrench never needs calibrated like the clicker on occasion do.

oak stob

Done it and had it done, with a standard lug wrench...in 50 years or so, never have had a wheel that was unremovable or one that the lug nuts spun off heading elsewhere.

I did have a wheel shear off once, right front...left the lug nuts and ring of the wheel under the nuts stay nice and tight.

Kind of an odd sight to witness the wheel bounce above the hood when driving down the interstate.

Brad Eden

I go to a small town mechanic, so can hang out in the bay, and even lend a hand now and then. No sitting on my thumbs in a waiting room. So I get to see him tighten all my lugs. But if I wasn't watching I'd be sure to check all the lugs after having my tires rotated. Mistakes can happen.

10 hours ago, settem said:

It might pay to check after the torque sticks. I’ve heard the actual torque can vary with them...

I do my own rotation every other oil change. The impact takes the lug nuts off and lightly snugs them back up, but I’m a big believer in using an actual torque wrench to tighten them up.

I tighten them to half the factory spec first, and then go around the vehicle again to spec, it just takes a few more minutes to do it right...

I know... But I still want a set. Because. 

Fur and Feathers

The tire business that I normally buy tires from will rotate them free for the life of the tires. We make an appointment and usually are in and out in 10-15 minutes.

kgb

Several years ago a station wagon passed me on I-80 and I could smell axle lube as well as see light smoke from the rt rear wheelwell. Over the next rise I saw that alxe/wheel/tire combo bouncing across the lanes and off the road. Lugs held fast on that one, and the car made it to the left side breakdown area with a small flame from the axle hub. That guy had been in a hurry.

WI Outdoor Nut

I have three vehicles and rotate on a regular basis, almost every oil change.  Two vehicles are mine (Honda pilot, F150) and a third vehicle is my wife's (Toyota Avalon).  She did not rotate her tires and it cost us.  She had major cupping, which I thought was a bearing it was so loud.  She is terrible at maintenance and I am realizing I can't rely on her to even tell me what is going on with her car. 

caleb
On 6/17/2018 at 8:07 AM, terrym said:

Word of caution here for the shade tree mechanics. You need a proper torque wrench to finish the job and also recheck the nuts a few days after install. Over tightening can make them impossible to remove with an emergency wrench if you get a flat tire. Most nuts need 100-130 lbs. I bought a torque wrench when I bought my electric impact gun because it's rated to 200lbs which can be a problem. 

The recommended torque on my VW is only 89 pounds.  That's with bolts rather than nuts, though.

Oh, and to the original question, I swap summer/snow tires every spring and fall myself, so they're rotated every 10k or so.