FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
SelbyLowndes

Any Frankophiles here?

OldColonel
6 hours ago, Dave in Maine said:

One of my neighbors spent an entire summer on that kind of project.  Stripping, sanding, putty, prime, paint, one wall at a time.

OTOH, he had summer of domestic tranquility seeing as how he was out from underfoot around the house.

It is a brick house with detached brick garage.  The garage, which was in power shape than the house took two weeks alone and the complex front door eight days to get to priming.  I figured I better start before I got too old to do it myself.  You can’t find people here to take it all the way back to the wood.  The stuff I finished so far looks like new construction finish.

OldColonel

Back to Francophile guns.

I also have a French 24 ga BLNE.

I assume Belgian guns count too.  I am blessed with five best SLE shotguns by Jules Bury, four of which were made for Louis Christophe, and a 16 SLE from the Jules Bury/Britte hoard.  Plus a Jules Bury made Louis Christophe SLE Double Rifle.

Other Francophone guns I only have one American double (M21), a pair of Scottish SLEs, and one London SLE; so it can be safely said I favor Francophone guns.

MDash2
1 hour ago, OldColonel said:

Back to Francophile guns.

I also have a French 24 ga BLNE.

I assume Belgian guns count too.  I am blessed with five best SLE shotguns by Jules Bury, four of which were made for Louis Christophe, and a 16 SLE from the Jules Bury/Britte hoard.  Plus a Jules Bury made Louis Christophe SLE Double Rifle.

Other Francophone guns I only have one American double (M21), a pair of Scottish SLEs, and one London SLE; so it can be safely said I favor Francophone guns.

Impressve !!! Feel free to share photos of this Jules Bury guns. 

Ted Schefelbein

Do these count?

V19 Darne in 28 gauge, and R10 Darne in 12. The R10 was restocked to fit me when I was last in St. Etienne, France, at the Bruchet shop. Wish they would have used nicer wood! Just kidding. 1946 vintage, and once owned by the outdoor writer Stephen  Bodio. The story of how I ended up with it appears in the spring of 2003 Double Gun Journal article “A Jungle Gun for the 21st Century” by Steve Bodio.

The V19, 1964 vintage, laid on a basement shelf for half a century, in it’s original box, and was unused until I owned it. I had the original, shrunken, organic plastic horsey hoove buttplate replaced with checkered ebony, a factory available option, and had an original, bretelle Darne sling built in France, and fitted to the gun by Geoffrey Gournet. Because, I could.

I have owned and shot many Darne and Charlin guns, and will offer this. They must fit you.

54514_600x400.jpg

Best,

Ted

SelbyLowndes

Welcome Ted.  Nice to see your first post here.  Mr. Schefelbein is a former importer of the Bruchet built Darne shotguns and will likely be a valuable member here.  I've never met him but I have followed his posts on other forums for years, and i can vouch that he's one of the good guys!...SelbyLowndes

Ted Schefelbein

Thanks. I’m doing the posting with my Son’s tablet thingy, and find it a bit frustrating. An old dog learning new tricks, very slowly.

Best,

Ted

Rockdoc

There goes the neighborhood... LOL! Welcome Ted.

Steve

Dave in Maine

Ted, those Darnes are about as French as a Citroen DS

1024px-Citro%C3%ABn_DS_20%2C_Bj._1974_%28Foto_Sp_2016-06-05%29.JPG

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

OldColonel

Some of my pictures, some are from the website when I purchased them

16ga Louis Christophe (Jules Bury made) SLE (my favorite)

406430961.jpg406430957.jpg

20ga Louis Christophe (Jules Bury made) SLE before I cleaned it up

413942655.jpg

413942654.jpg

12ga Louis Christophe (Jules Bury made) SLE before I cleaned it up

406430956.jpg

10.75x52R Springer (240grns at 2200 FPS) Double Rifle Louis Christophe (Jules Bury made) SLE

413448458.jpg413448457.jpg407357203.jpg

16ga Britte / Jules Bury SLE from the Jules Bury find

413942310.jpg

413942308.jpg

Don’t have any pics of my other 20ga Christophe, it is in excellent condition compared to the 20ga above.

and you can see why I believe Belgian guns are a great bargain if you search hard enough

Jazz4Brazo

All I can muster is WOW!!!

Thanks for sharing.

J4B

Billwolfe

Late to the party, but definitely a Francophile, at least when it comes to wine and double guns!  I'm a big fan of the minimalist one-piece swamped rib common on light French field guns.  Seems to provide less room for moisture to penetrate into places you can't see and also reduces weight on the ribs.  

Three field-grade boxlocks,

54582_1024x768.jpg

top to bottom:

12ga St. Etienne guild gun (1920s-30s?), 65 mm (2.5") chambers, 70 cm (27.5") barrels choked .003" x .015", 5 lbs 15 oz

Manufrance Robust, model 20-202 (1931) 16 GA, 65 mm chambers, 70-cm barrels chokes .020" in both, 5 lbs 14 oz--in shop to open chokes

Verney Carron Model "Sologne" (1959) 20 ga, 67-cm (26.4") barrels chokes .003" x ,010", 70-mm (2.75") chambers, 5 lbs 6 oz

A pair of Darnes

T54583_1024x768.jpg

Top:  Darne Halifax no. 3, 12 ga, 70-cm barrels choked ,007" x.020", 70-mm chambers. 6 lbs 4 oz

Bottom: Darne R15 20 ga (1970), 65-cm (~25.6") barrels choked ,005" x .020", 70-mm chambers, 5 lbs 10 oz

The best gun I currently own

53413_1024x176.jpg53416_800x600.jpg

Darne V21 12 ga (1970, 75-cm (29.5") barrels choked .001" x ,015", 70-mm chambers, 5 lbs 15 oz

Finally, a really sweet Manufrance Ideal 16 gauge recently sold to help pay for the V21

54584_1024x768.jpg

54585_1024x768.jpg

Scar

I am considering purchasing a French shotgun.  I'm attracted to the unusual styling and relative scarcity.

I'd like to learn more about the makers before making a purchase.  Where might one find readily available literature about French gunmakers?

When looking at specific guns are there trouble areas to check prior to purchase particular to specific makers?

caleb

Since his death, my wife and I have been going back and watching some of Anthony Bourdain's shows that we've missed.  Last night we watched one about Lyon, and there's a bit about duck hunting and hunting camaraderie.

Here's a clip that shows the guns (and cuts out right before Bourdain sluices a duck on the water like a philistine):

Bourdain's gun looks like a fairly standard boxlock o/u, but his partner/host has what looks to me like a very nice sidelock o/u.  Can anyone here identify the guns?

canvasback

Well, I hardly ever come over to this board but nice to see some familiar names. Bill, that was a lovely 16 Ideal you sold. Mike, that was a lovely 16 Ideal you bought!

Here is mine, for those who are interested in this sort of thing.

Right%20Action%20Oct%207%202017_zpsov1xj

MF%20Ideal%20Right%20Stock%20from%20Rear

Trigger%20Guard%20Oct%207%202017_zps0kx4

Right%20Fence%20Oct%207%202017_zps4lfmyj

Ted Schefelbein

I really like Bill’s 21. I like looking at James’ Ideal, but, I’d need lessons for three months, and, I’m far enough off the reservation with a Darne.

Best,

Ted