FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
shoot-straight

World Cup

shoot-straight

Anyone watching? Regardless if the US is in it or not, in a not so nice Russia, watching players take dives and fake injuries -  I love it. Love the passion and pride the fans have for their national teams. 

Its the only soccer I watch for the most part. 

I wonder how good we could be if our top basketball and football players decided to play soccer instead. I  think pretty darn good.

idcut

I usually don't watch soccer at all. However, during the world cup, I marginally follow it. My BIL is a rabid soccer fan and when in the Tacoma WA area this weekend visiting my wife's Father, who has Alzheimer's and her brother who helps take care of him, her brother had the TV blaring with World Cup games and would give me the play by play almost non stop, and gave me the low down on upcoming games and who were favored, etc..

I would have rather watched the U S Open!

WhatsDaPoint

Love it.  Watch every game I can. This includes EPL, MLS, USA national team etc. 

I can’t get enough. Favorite clubs: Chicago Fire, Boca Juniors and the greatest club in the world : Glasgow Celtic!

Jazz4Brazo

Yep...Interesting scores in the openers...Brazil and Argentina tied and Germany lost! I taped the Portugal-Spain game and thoroughly enjoyed the draw...real fun starts next round unless the surprises keep up!

Dakota Dogman

Love the sport, not to interested in tv or pro sports. So caught about 10 minutes of the Brazil game today in between commercials of the Jimmy Stewart Western.

As to US football and basketball players... I don't think it would help much. Too different of a skill set. 

God bless,

Yukon1

Soccer is my favorite sport and I've watched every world cup match so far. I primarily follow the English Premiere League, (Liverpool supporter) but I keep tabs on some of the other leagues as well, along with the US men's and women's team. 

ruff hunter

Mexico beat the defending champion Germany....... major upset!!!!!!

jeff88
2 hours ago, ruff hunter said:

Mexico beat the defending champion Germany....... major upset!!!!!!

Agree.  That better be a wake up call for Germany.  Can't believe sports editors think the US fans would root for Mexico just because we're neighbors.  We are viscous rivals!  Yankees - RSox, Pens - Flyers, MI - Ohio State -- get a clue!

Though I played two years of college soccer, coached it a ton, played men's leagues until my late 50's, played indoor too, I have a hard time watching it on TV.  Playing it is another story, fantastic game.  Still, the WC holds my attention but I only watch select games, GER/MEX was one of them.  Iceland is my team this year since the US flamed out, hope they go far.  

fishvik

I don't have cable so I've been watching on the Fox channel and Telamundo. Sometimes they are covering the same game. Fox has British commentators that are a reserved and very analytical, Telemundo's coverage is much more passionate even though I have no idea what they are saying because my Spanish is very limited. It is more fun to watch.

shoot-straight

Really wish the timing was better to watch the games, and there's not a lot of chances to see them on a replay. Missed all the games yesterday....

barna
6 hours ago, jeff88 said:

Agree.  That better be a wake up call for Germany.  Can't believe sports editors think the US fans would root for Mexico just because we're neighbors.  We are viscous rivals!  Yankees - RSox, Pens - Flyers, MI - Ohio State -- get a clue!

Though I played two years of college soccer, coached it a ton, played men's leagues until my late 50's, played indoor too, I have a hard time watching it on TV.  Playing it is another story, fantastic game.  Still, the WC holds my attention but I only watch select games, GER/MEX was one of them.  Iceland is my team this year since the US flamed out, hope they go far.  

I never coached but played a lot until injured calf that never recovered about 10 years back.  Will watch the world cup and the EU cup, but that's about it.  I am with you, cant root for Mexico, would rather see Brazil win again.  :D

Germans will come around they are too good of a team to fold early, I am pulling for Iceland as well, great underdog story.

Barna

Speedgoat44

From a population perspective, watching Iceland play is like watching a team fielded only from the state of Wyoming compete in the World Cup...pretty incredible.  Pulling for Argentina - Messi is simply out-of-this-world. We've been lucky to have witnessed two players like Ronaldo and Messi in the last 15 yrs...sort of like in tennis with Rafa and Fed.  

ruff hunter

I’m pulling for Germany.... I really got into them 4 years ago ( I know band wagon jumper ) and have kept up with them the past 4 years ( somewhat lol ) ...... Jeff88 I would agree they have to get their act together!!

shoot-straight

Argentina is pretty much toast now, both Croatia and Serbia are legit for sure.