Crazy Horse

Thirst quencher for dogs:

Crazy Horse

Whenever I hunt in warm weather, usually the early season, I generally carry a small bottle of "Gatorade" with me, for me. It's supposed to add electrolytes to the body and help retain moisture....or something like that. ( I figure if it's good enough for those numb skull football players, it's good enough for moi.) I always have a separate bottle of water for me and for my dog. 

My question is, is there a "Gatorade" like product for dogs and/or is it wise to give the dog a shot of "Gatorade" once in a while? I know there are a couple of Veterinarians who plug into this thread and would welcome their opinion.

Dogwood

Plain water is better than Gatorade for dogs as they don't lose electrolytes/salts via perspiration.   Hydration alone is critical however given the amount of water they lose via panting, even on cool days, so water bottles on your person for frequent sips are essential. Some supplement plain water with maltodextrin for energy which is ok but my dogs won't drink it period, so I use maltodextrin treats instead.

dogrunner

What kind of treats? Do you make them yourself?  

BlacknTan
43 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

Plain water is better than Gatorade for dogs as they don't lose electrolytes/salts via perspiration.   Hydration alone is critical however given the amount of water they lose via panting, even on cool days, so water bottles on your person for frequent sips are essential. Some supplement plain water with maltodextrin for energy which is ok but my dogs won't drink it period, so I use maltodextrin treats instead.

Yeah.. I was sorry to see the Purina Performance bars go .... I really don't know why they went away.

grouse28

Gator aid hype. Very few individuals exercise to the extent that this would be helpful.

Gator aid has turned into a marketing golden egg. Many kids walking around with Gator Aid, it’s a cool factor.

As Dogwood said similar drinks for dogs are another way to separate you from your money.

Water. How in the hell did us old farts make it through football, track, etc, practice without Freakin Gator Aid?

Yes I am a cranky old man.

DocE

Gatoraid is JUNK.....Both for humans and dogs.

If (as a human) you need electrolytes, use Coconut Water.

A small splash of Coconut water in your dog's water is fine, and

they like the flavor.

Don Steese
10 minutes ago, DocE said:

Gatoraid is JUNK.....Both for humans and dogs.

If (as a human) you need electrolytes, use Coconut Water.

A small splash of Coconut water in your dog's water is fine, and

they like the flavor.

Whenever I see Coconut water on sale I grab all they have on the shelf. Got hooked on it in Mexico. It's so darned expensive up here though.

C.J.L.

Know how they make coconut water?  Well they get a coconut and they get some water and.................:P

Dogwood

What's so special about coconut water anyway?

rawhide

Maybe it is analogous to Perrier? After all aren't we talking about a French Brittany?  

Brad Eden

What, you Fuddy Duddy Gatorade bashes never had a colonoscopy Mirilax/Gatorade prep?...:/

co_setter
56 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

What, you Fuddy Duddy Gatorade bashes never had a colonoscopy Mirilax/Gatorade prep?...:/

I have heard that adding vodka (in moderation) makes for a better prep experience.  Too much could make the bathroom dashes a high risk endeavor.

steveziv
5 hours ago, grouse28 said:

Very few individuals exercise to the extent that this would be helpful.

This, is what I've read.  Still I cut my water 50/50 with Powerade Zero because I like the taste.

Sometimes Tucker and I just share the same water bottles.

gunsrus
5 hours ago, grouse28 said:

Gator aid hype. Very few individuals exercise to the extent that this would be helpful.

Gator aid has turned into a marketing golden egg. Many kids walking around with Gator Aid, it’s a cool factor.

As Dogwood said similar drinks for dogs are another way to separate you from your money.

Water. How in the hell did us old farts make it through football, track, etc, practice without Freakin Gator Aid?

Yes I am a cranky old man.

I remember all us football platers drinking water from the same huge jug . Just reaching in with cup in hand and scoop what you want . 

And...............always taking salt pills !     I too am an old bastard .