REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
MAArcher

Do I need a new remote training collar?

MAArcher

I have a Garmin Alpha, but I'm told its too much for daily training and a Delta XC is more convenient and suitable for a young dog.   What do you think?

Checo

Sounds a little foolish to me that the Alpha is too much for daily training. You have it, so use it when pup is old is enough. You may find you don’t need to use an e-collar at all.

CzechSM

I would think an Alpha would meet your needs for daily training. If the person was referring to the size difference that shouldn't be an issue with your pup. I assume you are referring to the Deutsch Drahthaar pup you will be getting. Early stages of the puppy should not require an e-collar and when if you choose to use one later on the Alpha will be just fine.

I have been told that the Alpha e-collar is actually the same as a 550 Tritronics/Garmin. That is a good collar. I have found that with proper foundation without the e-collar and with proper e-collar conditioning very seldom will the e-collar be used and when it does it will be at a very low correction level and usually you will only use a couple of levels at most. I have collar conditioned SM's and setters. All have responded nicely on a 1 or a 2 low. I assume that will be easy to do on the Alpha. Also the Alpha will be great to use on your versatile drags and blood tracking if you choose to go that route. I have been around a lot of versatile training in the past 20 years. I have seen a lot of heavy e-collar training. Think out your training, choose your training partners carefully. The e-collar is a great tool but it needs to be used properly. 

Jim Vander

I have used a 500 for years. When I got a setter I bought an alpha and love it but don't consider it a training collar. You can set  the buttons but its not nearly as flexible as say a 500. It may meet your needs but the ability to change stimulation very quickly is huge for me. So it depends on how you use a collar and your experience level.

readgriff

I also use a Garmin 500 very easy to use

Use a Garmin 320 for tracking 

Really like the versatility of having two collars

Cooter Brown

The Alpha is a good product but I think a dedicated ecollar is better for working with a dog.  The Alpha is great for hunting in case the dog gets after a deer or something, but you have to look at the thing to change levels, dogs, to do anything really except press one of the buttons.

With a good dedicated collar you can change dogs, intensity etc. very quickly without looking at anything other than the dog.  The controls are tactile.

I've found with more than one dog that you have to be very careful with the Alpha, and look at the thing to make sure you're correcting the right dog.  Of course it matters less if you have only one dog set up on it, and you can set up three different levels of stim with the three buttons, but overall if you can afford it a dedicated ecollar is a better tool for dog work.

Urban_Redneck

In my experience, the Alpha is great in the field, but is cumbersome for training. Unless you keep the screen locked, you cannot trust the the stim levels are where you last set them.  Changing stim on the fly is not intuitive and requires taking your eyes off the dog.

I recently switched from a Sport Pro to a Dogtra Edge RT for training, I think it's more consistent, and definitely more intuitive.

Dave Erickson

Ditto what the last two posters posted.