Sign in to follow this  
RuffChaser

Arthritis

RuffChaser

Our oldest setter Haze is nearly 12 and has arthritis pretty bad in a few joints. He is on Rymadil (spelling??) daily and it general helps but lately he's having a very hard time getting up after lying down and going down steps. Any suggestions for other things we can give him to help ease the pain and/or make him a little more mobile? We'll ask the vet as well but i wanted to see what else may be working for others.

Peent

Lose weight and daily chondroitin.  This added abut a year and a half of pain free living to a hurting dog I had.    Easy on the pain pills or you will have other issues.  Use it only when you think it's needed.  

Mundo

you can give him chondroprotec incjections (Polysulfated Glycosaminoglycan) .  It is a subcutaneous injection and pretty easy to do with bird dogs since they have such a high pain threshold, they are pretty easy to inject.  Your vet will probably school you.   I've used it and it seemed to help tho it is pretty hard to determine how effective it is when there is a a natural decline. I believe you can give it with rymadyl.  Once you get thru the breakin period (twice a week for a month, then once a week for a a month) you only need to do it every other week. 

RuffChaser
27 minutes ago, Peent said:

Lose weight and daily chondroitin.  This added abut a year and a half of pain free living to a hurting dog I had.    Easy on the pain pills or you will have other issues.  Use it only when you think it's needed.  

He's never really been too heavy, for a Ryman, and the last 2 years he's stayed at a very good weight. In the past he only got the Rymadil a few days week, just before a day or so and after hunting. The food he used to eat had Chondroitin in it but the new stuff doesn't. We'll see about getting him back on it.

27 minutes ago, Mundo said:

you can give him chondroprotec incjections (Polysulfated Glycosaminoglycan) .  It is a subcutaneous injection and pretty easy to do with bird dogs since they have such a high pain threshold, they are pretty easy to inject.  Your vet will probably school you.   I've used it and it seemed to help tho it is pretty hard to determine how effective it is when there is a a natural decline. I believe you can give it with rymadyl.  Once you get thru the breakin period (twice a week for a month, then once a week for a a month) you only need to do it every other week. 

Thanks. I thought I had read about some injections but wasn't sure what they were. I'll talk with the vet about them.

Hub

I supplemented glucosamine and chondroitin to my dogs before I switched to foods that contain it.  As my dogs age I tend to give them aspirin for general creakiness after hunts.  As far as  getting around in general I find that staying on top of having nails trimmed on old dogs is key.  They also start losing muscle control so having them stand on slick floor like tile or cement is tough on them.  I make sure they are standing on rugs to eat etc.  Usinga fabric handled log carrier (cheap at Mendards) is a good way to allow folks who aren't strong enough to pick and old dog up to help them on stairs (like maybe your wife or daughter).  I hate to tell you, but there isn't a magic bullet.  A 12 year old dog that has spent a lifetime hunting has a lot of miles on it.  I am envious of folks on here, most of mine have been gone by 12.

Dogwood

If he's on Rimadyl twice daily  his pain issues have been sorted and it's doubtful that any additional meds or supplements will make much of a difference.   More likely he's having additional mobility problems via muscle weakness/atrophy with some neurologic degeneration.  No meds for those issues.  Keep him moving the bet you can.  We'll all be there some day.