FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
67diesel

My dog stumbles

67diesel

My GSP stumbles when we go on a walk in the evening.  Just going down the road on his leash and he will clearly stumble then recover and keep going.  He will be 13 in a few months and is arthritic in his front shoulders.  I am not sure it is the arthritis because he still has a pretty good bounce in his step.  Could it be neurological?

He's gonna go with us this fall for 20 or 30 minutes at a time on our out west trip as he is a gamer and would be upset not to go.

Jim 

406dn

There comes a time every animal's life, when it is finished with its athletic career.

One of my dogs from days gone by had hip dysplasia with which I had a femoral head osteotomy preformed by my vet. "Sarge" had a limited career consisting of short hunts and no expectations or formal training from me. He enjoyed it and I always took him with the other dogs on hunts.

On days when I ran the dogs from horseback,, I'd let him run with the other dogs. One day,,,,, he was no longer with the pack and I had to go back and find him. His day had arrived where he just couldn't do it. That was the last day he ever hunted.

The realization while riding the best horse I will likely ever own, was that he was struggling to carry me. That was the last time I ever rode him.

If your dog is stumbling just while walking,,,,he might well be at the end of the line in his hunting career. There are still good times when they transition to being a retired pensioner. 

Dogwood
3 hours ago, 67diesel said:

My GSP stumbles when we go on a walk in the evening.  Just going down the road on his leash and he will clearly stumble then recover and keep going.  He will be 13 in a few months and is arthritic in his front shoulders.  I am not sure it is the arthritis because he still has a pretty good bounce in his step.  Could it be neurological?

He's gonna go with us this fall for 20 or 30 minutes at a time on our out west trip as he is a gamer and would be upset not to go.

Jim 

He's just gettin' old.  Take him anyway and use common sense he'll love it.

Cooter Brown

Both perfect responses.

If he's almost 13 and still gettin at it in any way he's in the 95th percentile.

Count your blessings, remember the joys, and give that boy a hot dog.

By the way, I stumble.  Regular.  Without drink.

C.J.L.

I got one in the same boat and is 13.  Sucks seeing your buddy getting old and knowing that day is coming.  

ryanr

How is he in the yard or a field? Old joints and hard macadam don't do well together. Injuries during my days as an athlete 'cause my knees to suffer if I try to run on the roads but I can do it on grass with much less difficulty and I can walk all day in the woods.

DonT
15 hours ago, C.J.L. said:

I got one in the same boat and is 13.  Sucks seeing your buddy getting old and knowing that day is coming.  

Same here, My Vet thinks it's neurological but at this age it doesn't really matter what it is.   It's sad but "you can't fix getting old"  she sleeps all day, needs to go outside in the middle of the night, can't climb stairs, doesn't always eat well, can't hear but when she sees me and wags that little tail, it makes me happy.  

MUSTANGER7

Four out of my six are starting to have problems but they still want to go out. I just shorten the distance and keep them close, one is loosing her hearing, two will be sore the next day and the other just moves a lot slower. All get all excited when they see that I'm going out, I just have made it a point to take more pictures and videos. Love these bird dogs.

67diesel
22 hours ago, ryanr said:

How is he in the yard or a field? Old joints and hard macadam don't do well together. Injuries during my days as an athlete 'cause my knees to suffer if I try to run on the roads but I can do it on grass with much less difficulty and I can walk all day in the woods.

He does OK as long as the ground is somewhat level.  U.P. grouse woods are not level and he is done there, no more, that is where he came in limping.  He didn't go last year and was not happy about that.  He's on Rimadyl which seems to help.  

birdhuntervet

Try to find a Veterinarian who is certified in canine re-hab or sports medicine. Such a person might be able to help your dog.