FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
martyg

Gunner Kennels

martyg

Mine arrived yesterday. So far, I am super impressed with design and engineering.

I'll post a link to a review here when it happens.

grouse28

Each to his own, but seems to be the Yeti of dog kennels. Maybe for use for intensive use by a professional guide.

I have a cheap-a$$ Pet mate that has worked for 20 years and another for 15 years.

Of course I can’t get the cool logo wear or a $25 chrome decal to advertise my choice of gear.

I am an uncool cheap bastard.

troutchops

I have the big one for our lab. Great product, that will never fail. I believe they are rotomolded just like the Yeti cooler. The only down side is it weighs a lot. I didn’t buy the stickers or baseball hat yet, maybe later..

oak stob

I like the slam latch....the one weak point for me with RuffTough are the pinch latches but, otherwise, few real world advantages to purchase newer options.

The subject box simply appears to be a nice, tough and safe, with all that delivers, dog box.

Personally, I’m glad to see new options and change in dog kennels. 

By RuffTough going to a side entry, for example, I was able to slide in two Intermediates behind the front seat in the Tacoma. Nice.

Refining a product from design to materials can help us all...dog and man, imo.

Funny, Yeti is the latest in the list of names that strikes all sorts of sour notes.

Near the top of any hill should make for a nice view rather than guilt by comparison.

paul frey

I have the Ruff Tough and I only travel a short distance with my dogs and never overnight them in the kennel so I don't need the lock.  I have a Pet Mate for the other dog that is going to be replaced with a Ruff Tough soon.  The Pet Mate cracked this winter in the cold weather.  Both have Mud River kennel covers on them.  A good friend of mine has the gunner Kennel and likes it a lot. 

martyg
3 hours ago, oak stob said:

I like the slam latch....the one weak point for me with RuffTough are the pinch latches but, otherwise, few real world advantages to purchase newer options.

The subject box simply appears to be a nice, tough and safe, with all that delivers, dog box.

Personally, I’m glad to see new options and change in dog kennels. 

By RuffTough going to a side entry, for example, I was able to slide in two Intermediates behind the front seat in the Tacoma. Nice.

Refining a product from design to materials can help us all...dog and man, imo.

Funny, Yeti is the latest in the list of names that strikes all sorts of sour notes.

Near the top of any hill should make for a nice view rather than guilt by comparison.

Damn Oak.... That is poetic. I like it.

I adore my YETI cooler. Living in the SW, guiding 6 day river trips where temps can hit 100.... I like being able to confidently keep ice at the end of 6 days.

Having been a product developer in the industry I get the costs of tooling to create something new, and get the costs of establishing value to consumers.

Tom Avent

Funny......I like the look of these kennels. Anything that could help protect or keep my canine partners more comfortable I am in support of.

Yes, I have resisted the urge to get a Yeti cooler. Not because of product backlash. More because I don't need that much of a cooler. However, I've never understood the resistance to having better, more reliable products. If you need and use something everyday and it is built to last longer than less expensive products, why the hell would you not suck it up and spend the money.

Also, don't bash a company that can brand and market better than average unless their product does not deliver.

Brad Eden

I looked at their website. Very well done which is a reflection on a superior product.

As far as purchasing? It all depends on need. IMO. Whether you crate your dog or dogs at home, or particularly in a truck/vehicle a lot, and for long trips, or just use a crate for puppyhood and house training. Or if you use a cooler all the time on camping and hunting and fishing trips, or use a cooler a few times a year to keep things cold while at camp or at a cookout. I'm the latter in both cases. Crate gets put away when puppy is around 7-8 months old, and my cheap Coleman cooler does just fine the few times a year it goes into service. I like well made and well designed and well marketed products and spent a career designing packaging and ads, and was involved in trade shows and marketing for such products. I will gladly spend the money if I really need that product. Otherwise I'm too cheap and pragmatic to buy an expensive product just cuz I can afford it, when a cheaper product does just fine.

NECarson
On 6/27/2018 at 5:49 PM, Brad Eden said:

I will gladly spend the money if I really need that product. Otherwise I'm too cheap and pragmatic to buy an expensive product just cuz I can afford it, when a cheaper product does just fine.

Saving money where you can, mean that you have it to spend where you need it. 

snapt
On 6/29/2018 at 5:16 PM, martyg said:

Full disclosure, did you get one for free in return for your review on GJ?

grouse28

Well done review, Marty.

ScottGrush

Another option. Dakota 283 https://dakota283.com/

I have the G3 framed door kennels in large and medium. Great doors! Keyed locks, very durable stout crates. 

20180617_134306319_iOS.jpg

oak stob
1 hour ago, ScottGrush said:

I have the G3 framed door kennels in large and medium. Great doors! Keyed locks, very durable stout crates. 

Those are nice-looking kennels.....couple questions, Scott.

How many season’s use and any issues with the door latches....the locking ability does not interest me much but the tightness and finger room does.

Also, the doors are spring-loaded in...correct?

Thanks.

Curt
1 hour ago, ScottGrush said:

Scott, what about the sizing?  My largest dog is a 45 pound Brittany, long legged, built like a setter.  In your opinion would I need the large or medium for him?  Just curious, I like the look of these.