FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
atticus

New truck on the way

Brad Eden

Billy, I see you chose the double cab model similar to your old Tundra rather than the crew cab. Any particular reason for that? Just wondering since thats a quandary I have had when looking at new Tundras. My '06 Tundra has what amounts to a crew cab with full size 4 doors etc.I really like that extra room but figure the new Tundras are so big the double cab like you bought would still work.

C.J.L.

Brad is sending you new stickers right? :P Didn't I read that in the rules someplace?  

Brad Eden
Just now, C.J.L. said:

Brad is sending you new stickers right? :P Didn't I read that in the rules someplace?  

Good call! All new vehicles should be adorned with a UJ Decal... (A UJ decal is sent to first time Donators and then are always available to current Contributing Members for the asking. Grouse or Woodcock. They are also sold on the UJ Gear Page )

atticus
32 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Billy, I see you chose the double cab model similar to your old Tundra rather than the crew cab. Any particular reason for that? Just wondering since thats a quandary I have had when looking at new Tundras. My '06 Tundra has what amounts to a crew cab with full size 4 doors etc.I really like that extra room but figure the new Tundras are so big the double cab like you bought would still work.

So the reason is the crew max was just too big for my needs (its only Sharon and I now) plus the loss of a foot in the bed (camping) and I don't really like the look.  The back seat of this version is pretty big--huge by comparison to my old access cab model, with ample under seat storage for what few tools I carry--tow strap, tire plugs/pump, jumper cables, etc.  The "double cab" in this version seems more than ample for a dog or two or a short ride with an adult in the back.   I think I could even fit a crate or two in there but that's what the cap on the bed is for.

I think I have an extra UJ sticker hanging around for when the Cap arrives.  My daughter and her fiancé were lamenting the loss of my stickers with the old truck--UJ, Labrador and Namibian flags, Setter profile, Local fly shop, her college, etc.  I'll get new ones as the years roll on.

Side note about stickers--On every vehicle I have ever owned I have refused to let the dealer put their name/logo or plate holder on.  When I arrived Wednesday, I told the salesman that-- unless they gave me another $1000 off for advertising over the next 17+- years-- I wasn't taking delivery until they were removed.  They took them off promptly--  No free advertising unless I authorize or get paid.  Nothing I can do about the Toyota logo though...

gunsrus

I hate name , logo .....dealer stickers too . They get what they want for money when I buy it , over and out !

gunsrus

Get all the dealer "promises in writing now too . "you get the first 5 oil changes on us" , "wiper blades free for as long as you own the car".

BS , I had a dealer right up the street from me promise inspection stickers for the life of the car . They were $15 . Two years later the state increased to $30 . They refused to honor their promise . I said I would pay the additional $15 and they declined all the way up to the owner . 

They went out of business a few years later . I still see the owner in town now and then and he runs the other way .

atticus

After visiting several of the national chains and seeing their higher prices, this morning I stopped at the local truck cap place and ordered an ARE Z series cap for the truck. I was leaning towards the V series but for a few hundred more ( and less than the chain places were asking), splurged for the better look, fit and finish.  I think there may have even been a sale that ended today.  I got the optional front slider that also flips down for cleaning, 3 port power and a roof rack--although I'll buy the bars later.  With the Massachusetts tax holiday only 6 weeks away I saved a couple hundred in tax.  Fact is it will be on the truck for the better part of the next 2 decades and a few hundred extra now won't matter in the long run.  It comes standard with the carpeted finish and pop out vent windows--which I'm not too thrilled with but they'll be fine. One last thing to call them about is adding LED lights which I forgot to ask for.

River19
On 6/30/2018 at 5:31 PM, atticus said:

After visiting several of the national chains and seeing their higher prices, this morning I stopped at the local truck cap place and ordered an ARE Z series cap for the truck. I was leaning towards the V series but for a few hundred more ( and less than the chain places were asking), splurged for the better look, fit and finish.  I think there may have even been a sale that ended today.  I got the optional front slider that also flips down for cleaning, 3 port power and a roof rack--although I'll buy the bars later.  With the Massachusetts tax holiday only 6 weeks away I saved a couple hundred in tax.  Fact is it will be on the truck for the better part of the next 2 decades and a few hundred extra now won't matter in the long run.  It comes standard with the carpeted finish and pop out vent windows--which I'm not too thrilled with but they'll be fine. One last thing to call them about is adding LED lights which I forgot to ask for.

Yes you want the lights.......I use mine more than I thought I would.

blanked

Snug top caps fit like a it’s an SUV.  Ask an ARE / snug top dealer which one is the best fitting cap

atticus
28 minutes ago, blanked said:

Snug top caps fit like a it’s an SUV.  Ask an ARE / snug top dealer which one is the best fitting cap

They don't sell the snug tops in the east.  The closest dealer appears to be in Missouri.  

Jazz4Brazo

I have a SnugTop with a bedrug...great cap but Billy is right...no east coast dealers and getting parts is a PIA but doable...next truck/cap will be the set up Billy has...sweet ride :-)

jeff88
On 6/29/2018 at 10:38 AM, atticus said:

Side note about stickers--On every vehicle I have ever owned I have refused to let the dealer put their name/logo or plate holder on.  When I arrived Wednesday, I told the salesman that-- unless they gave me another $1000 off for advertising over the next 17+- years-- I wasn't taking delivery until they were removed.  They took them off promptly--  No free advertising unless I authorize or get paid.  Nothing I can do about the Toyota logo though...

Agree!  Especially about the stickers.  

Another item I don't like are the stickers describing the vehicle such as TRD, 4X4 or Raptor -- they seem to junk the looks up too much.  They also start aging the vehicle faster as they look crappy before too long.  

Billy, nice looking truck.  I especially like the metallic dark gray, that color seems to show dirt and grime less while looking really good when clean.

atticus

Thanks for all the comments.  Its been just over a week and 800 miles in.  The truck is really nice and I am getting used to all the new gadgets.  I like the color too, but still wish they came in green--my last 2 green vehicles booth lasted over 300k.  I am somewhat discombobulated without the cap---I usually keep all my fishing gear in the truck but can't until the new cap arrives.  Yesterday I realized I had forgotten my bug spray after I was already on the river...again.