FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Wirehair

Smartphone trail tracking app?

Wirehair

I'm not super tech savy and my handheld GPS is really old so i'm looking to us my phone(samsung) for tracking my routes for when I ride my mules. I'm sure some type of hiking app would work but i'm at a lose cause there's tons of different apps.

I'm looking for a free app, with decent topo map that shows local roads and creeks,  that tracks my trail and keeps track of distance, time, speed, and bearing.

Appreciate any advice, Thank you!

Up North

Wikiloc is what we use. It’s free but you must sign up for it. It lets you download the state you will be using it in, and then you have access to maps/trail tracking without having cell service. You can even turn your phone to airplane mode, and it will track your routes.

C.J.L.

No clue on the app but mules are really cool. The only farm animal I haven't eaten (and won't be eaten) besides a dog. Got pics?

browndrake

I've been using backcountry navigator (paid version) for a few years now and really like it.  I have used the tracking feature very little, mostly just use it to mark and find coordinates. Although the tracking feature has worked well the few times I have used it. 

Most of the people I work with use gaia and like it for both purposes.

Wirehair
On 6/24/2018 at 10:08 AM, C.J.L. said:

No clue on the app but mules are really cool. The only farm animal I haven't eaten (and won't be eaten) besides a dog. Got pics?

Here's a recent picture after hair cuts. Mine is the white one and my sons is the other one.

a%3E

C.J.L.

Very cool

duluthUPLAND

OnX maps does this very well. It is a paid app/subscription however you get a lot of bang for your buck. From landownership detail, public access info, trails and even some timber cutting information it's well worth the money in my opinion. 

Jim Vander

Gaia GPS works well. Big fan of Onx maps as well

Pomoxis

Guided a guy last year that had relive.cc on his phone. It is a super cool app that mapped out our course on google maps with time and distance walked. If you don’t have an Alpha, I’d go with this app.

rideold

Here's a second for OnX.  The yearly price is really pretty cheap considering what you get.  I've been using it for wildfire info the last month or so.  Keeping an eye on the areas I big game hunt.

mccuha
On 6/30/2018 at 7:25 AM, Jim Vander said:

Gaia GPS works well. Big fan of Onx maps as well

When I downloaded Wikiloc on my phone Gaia came up to.  Do these work together some how

Jim Vander

I think Wikiloc will share your Gaia tracks if you want it to but I have never used it.

bill
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:15 PM, Wirehair said:

Here's a recent picture after hair cuts. Mine is the white one and my sons is the other one.

a%3E

Nice looking mules smart critters more so than some horses I have met