Dave Quindt

Wisconsin DNR shortens Ruffed Grouse season

Dave Quindt

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-smith/2018/06/27/resources-board-shortens-ruffed-grouse-season-cites-disease-concernsciting-disease-concerns-nrb-shor/736777002/

DNR changed the close date on zone A(where virtually everyone hunts) from Jan 31st to Nov 30th.  No change to bag limits.

Gotta admit, this is kinda strange to me.  Not sure what this accomplishes other than to keep the masses appeased.  Certainly will impact local hunters more than ones who travel to the grouse woods to hunt.  To me a bag limit reduction would have made more sense.

FWIW,

Dave

Hub

Wow.  I don't typically hunt Wisconsin until later in the year.  I will not be springing for an out of state tag this year.

dogrunner

I would say open it up a week later and then close it a week later. Sept 15 it’s to hot and too many leaves. Looks to me like they are trying to cut down on the road hunters once the covers down.  Wonder if Minn and Mi is going to follow.  Have any of you guys that hunt there ever been polled on how many birds you have taken?  I have hunted Mi for 42 years and never been asked how many grouse I have taken, either has my dad or anyone else I know of.  

troutchops
12 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

I would say open it up a week later and then close it a week later. Sept 15 it’s to hot and too many leaves. Looks to me like they are trying to cut down on the road hunters once the covers down.  Wonder if Minn and Mi is going to follow.  Have any of you guys that hunt there ever been polled on how many birds you have taken?  I have hunted Mi for 42 years and never been asked how many grouse I have taken, either has my dad or anyone else I know of.  

The Michigan DNR has a voluntary form you can print up and send in at the end of the season. It tracks county, flush rates, and woodcock and grouse taken.  

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/grouse_woodcock_cooperator_report_499947_7.pdf

MilRob

Seems like a very knee jerk decision IMO.   The grouse were down in MN, WI, and MI last year with pockets of good hunting.   Natural cycle, spring nesting, WNV, avian predators, other predators, and lack of habitat management for grouse...So many factors can play into the decline for last year.   To cut 60 days out of the hunting season seems drastic.    How about more fair chase and requiring road/atv hunters to be 250 ft from the vehicle before shooting.   How about 3 birds until Nov 30 and 1 bird after.   How about put together a comprehensive grouse study for a full year and try and get a handle on the real effects of WNV and have a voluntary program to donate birds or blood.   

Just seems like a really drastic decision to cut 60 days out of a season without having some science behind it.    

Really hope MN doesnt follow suit unless they can give me some scientific data showing the reasons why ending the season sooner will have a significant impact on grouse population.

caleb

What a bummer from a hunting perspective.  Like Hub, I usually focus on Wisconsin late in the season once traps and snares become an issue in Minnesota, and of course in January once Minnesota is closed up.  I would have rather seen the three bird limit than the shortened season.

I'll still buy a Wisconsin license, but I'll probably do more pheasant hunting here in December, and might need to finally go south to hunt quail in January.

More broadly, what is this "citizens advisory board" business?  Is this like wildlife management by popular vote rather than science?

Don Steese

They did the same thing here in Pennsylvania, closing the late season. Seemed to me to be more of an attempt to convince the masses that they were "doing something" than a science driven answer to the problem of crashing bird numbers. I was surprised at how many bird hunters were willing to accept this "solution" without much question.  One of my favorite sayings is, "Do something....even if it's wrong!"  Sounds like some people have finally taken my advice. 

Kre

Can I get a rebate on my small game license? O.o

(Sarcasm)

WI Outdoor Nut

I will state I am glad grouse reductions in population are at least on the radar.  I am one to believe WNV is the culprit, and now we need to follow the science.  There are many different approaches to make on what should be done, this is one.  I personally would have like to see a reduction to 3 birds, but overall, hunters have little to do with the overall grouse population.  It has more to do with recruitment than anything else.  And that is the bigger concern.  But in this case, something is better than nothing. 

oak stob

A different deal in many ways from Ohio but, Lord how I wish the ODNR had cut off Jan. and Feb. from the ruffed grouse season long about 1975....or before.

Ultimately, it would only have forestalled reality but....losing February(alone) was a wise move done too late. February’s ease of hunting was reckoned to represent 40% of the harvest so.... sadly it alone saw the axe fall. 

I question that percentage at times but....there it was.

That hunter’s “suffered” was and remains of no concern, to me.

Folks here should have been working on the decline or, more correctly, taken the decline and ALL of it’s factors seriously. 

Instead the DNR focused on deer/turkey and hoped the grouse would recover until retirement hit, while the grouse hunters blamed a non-existent grouse cycle and yelped “it’s not, me!”

However, whether WI’s recent move has a sound foundation or is just a bit of “uh-oh! what the heck”, I have no way of knowing.

I do know that DNRs take a good amount of flak from the cognoscenti...some deserved and some not.

I also have lived the reality that it is never too soon to express concern for change, never too soon to address all that prods change along.

Too late...is just that.

To dumb ol’ me, the entirety of the UGLs, generally speaking, offer the blessings of time/cover for ruffed grouse and so provide for future good days but, let the hammers pound away and let they horns blare “no need”, as that is the way of the past.

And, while there is likely some truth in each......the question is always one of missing....missing due to wanting something....too much.

Fingers crossed for WI grouse and the folks who hunt them.....and for those who are tasked to care for them.

nobirdshere

Welp, at least I can now dedicate myself exclusively to the pursuit of bobwhite quail for the first two weeks of December and pheasants and huns all the way to 1/6! There's certainly no shortage of those birds in WI.. This seems ridiculously knee jerk after one bad season following a pretty good one at the lower end of the cycle. I guess it will impact the late season roadside limb swatters the most, but seems really misguided. Given science no longer seems to have any place in the DNR, I guess we can rely solely on irrational emotion. 

gunut
3 hours ago, Hub said:

Wow.  I don't typically hunt Wisconsin until later in the year.  I will not be springing for an out of state tag this year.

well then their reasoning is working.....B|

Reilly Auld
44 minutes ago, oak stob said:

cognoscenti.

Is that like a member of AA?

oak stob

Sadly yes.....and, a step program could provide an answer.

C.J.L.

The reason for closing it later is that those birds are survivors and the best brood stock.  Early season birds are young and dumb for the most part and their chance to make into the next spring isn't high to start with.  Come December a grouse still alive has dodged just about everything that wants to kill it so I say give it a chance fellas.  Long term, I think it's a good thing.  Contrary the popular belief, hunters DO have a major factor on bird populations.  Doesn't a take a math magician to figure out that if your best spot has ten grouse living in it at the start of the season and you kill ten grouse how many are left.   And it's always real easy to bash the state biologists but they do do this stuff for a living.  We just do it for fun.  But I do get a kick out of the guys who think they are smarter than biologists lol.