Sign in to follow this  
blanked

Telescoping fishing rod wanted

blanked

To fit in my daypack during hikes.  Not into the fly rod stuff.  Spinning rod reel for this outing .  A breakdown rod for back pack is an option also

Fire Marshal Bill

I don't know about spinning rods but I brought 2 telescoping baitcasting rods at Cabelas last year. You won't find them on line but I did find them at the store. 

bill
1 hour ago, blanked said:

To fit in my daypack during hikes.  Not into the fly rod stuff.  Spinning rod reel for this outing .  A breakdown rod for back pack is an option also

Anyone remember those Dawai Mini cast system break down rod came in a case it was great for stuff like ( Haven,t saw one like it for years for sale).  I have telescoping rod but not very sensitive.

robp

I have  both eagle claw and a fenwick break down rod sets from the 70's. I have had the eagle claw since I was in high school, bought that at Appalachian outfitters on Oakton Virginia. I picked up the Fenwick off ebay a couple years ago for my wife.The eagle claw has a penn spinning reel and the fenwick has a Phlueger. I bought them for the BWCA and backpacking trips. The eagle claw is a combo spinning fly rod I've never tried using it as a fly rod. I'm very happy with both

Flush
18 hours ago, bill said:

Anyone remember those Dawai Mini cast system break down rod came in a case it was great for stuff like ( Haven,t saw one like it for years for sale).  I have telescoping rod but not very sensitive.

Google and/or Amazon are your friend:

Daiwa mini spinning rod

max2
14 hours ago, Flush said:

Google and/or Amazon are your friend:

Daiwa mini spinning rod

My dad had one of those. I think a salesman gave it to him as a gift.    

TimJ

Almost any 4 or 5 piece takedown rods is much better than any telescoping rods I've handled.

I have a cheap Shakespeare travel rod that I will take on bike rides. Works ok for impromptu fishing chances. 

Diawa up to St Croix all make acceptable travel rods depending on budget. If it doesn't come with a hard case make one from PVC for the rod.

Tim

Dave in Maine

The best rod case I've come across is an appropriate length of 2 inch schedule 40 PVC pipe with the soft caps you use to protect stubs.  Leave the pipe clamps off, stuff the ends of the pipe with a piece of spongy packing foam about an inch thick, and you're in business.  

WI Outdoor Nut

I have found the multiple break down rods better than the telescoping rods.  Both in strength and sensitivity.  Now, my go to travel rod is a 6'3" two piece St. Croix avid.  It packs down small enough for all but the tightest type travels.  Even backpacking I just strap it on the side of the pack and good to go. 

Mike da Carpenter

Bought the Zebco telescoping rod with their 202 (I believe) reel and used it in Ontario on Walleye, and out in Utah/Wyoming for trout.  Worked perfect each and every time.

SODAKer
On 7/2/2018 at 7:06 AM, robp said:

I have  both eagle claw and a fenwick break down rod sets from the 70's. I have had the eagle claw since I was in high school, bought that at Appalachian outfitters on Oakton Virginia. I picked up the Fenwick off ebay a couple years ago for my wife.The eagle claw has a penn spinning reel and the fenwick has a Phlueger. I bought them for the BWCA and backpacking trips. The eagle claw is a combo spinning fly rod I've never tried using it as a fly rod. I'm very happy with both

AO: that was a cool store back in the day; my last purchase was  Mad River Duck Hunter canoe back in 94, I think. I still run that canoe.

polecat

ZingRo popped up in my feed today.

shoot-straight

X2 on the pack Diawa rod. I bought one a few years back and it is great. Lots of travel rods out there.

spinfly

How about the Ron Popeil Pocket Fisherman? I remember those ads form years ago. Going back more than 30 years I used to have a Daiwa breakdown rod, think it was a 5' Ultralite with matched spinning reel, at least 8 pieces as I recall. Packed down into a small plastic box that would fit in a pack, may still be one out there somewhere.

Dakota Dogman
On 7/5/2018 at 6:25 AM, Dave in Maine said:

The best rod case I've come across is an appropriate length of 2 inch schedule 40 PVC pipe with the soft caps you use to protect stubs.  Leave the pipe clamps off, stuff the ends of the pipe with a piece of spongy packing foam about an inch thick, and you're in business.  

This is basically what I ended up with. Went on a week long backpacking trip into the Bighorns. Weight was an issue for everything, but I really like walking sticks. So I took a bit of PVC, put a spike (bolt & nut) thru then glued 1 cap on, only put the other cap on by friction. Mine held a 9 foot 2 piece light rod, and assorted tackle in the  tube. Reel went in my pack.  Worked well for me.

God bless,