FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Ted Schefelbein

A gun I don’t use much, but, can’t sell.

Tim Frazier

12191478_918581211531058_185792361144048321_n.thumb.jpg.ffdf735bac2d8a7d0004ebee4b2bf101.jpg

This is my great grandfathers 97 and it mostly sits in the safe but it comes out on occasion.  It's a killer.  It was my dads only shotgun for most of my youth and has taken a lot of game.  It would be the last gun I own to be sold, and likely I'd have to be dead!

fourtrax57

Still, very thoughtful of you & it says your friend had a warm spot for you in his heart.

quailguy
On 7/4/2018 at 5:08 PM, Ted Schefelbein said:

It is a 3” 20 gauge, with all the styling traits popular at the time-white line spacers, open pistol grip, beaver tail, recoil pad, and 6 1/2 luscious pounds of weight, good, I suppose, to tame use with 3” loads. 28” tubes MOD/IM MOD chokes. Beautiful bores to the thinking of one Francis E. Sell, back before nontoxic shot shuffled the deck and pretty much made the 20 obsolete for waterfowl. The case colors, engraving, barrel polish, bluing, and checkering are all well above average in execution and quality.

Ted,  I normally shoot my bespoke 20 gauge Perazzi (7 lbs) for pheasants using 2 & 3/4 inch Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #5 shot. That 7 pounds help soak up some recoil and of course its a fitted gun so that helps a lot.   I'm sure you do have better pheasant guns, but that nice P&G gun deserves to be used and I bet old Francis Sell would love to see you mess about with that gun and then shoot it.

Best !

Ted Schefelbein

My 12s all weigh less than the P&G. Weight shouldn’t be the only consideration. I will attempt to exercise the old girl, but tend toward more open chokes, most of the time.

A few eye opening pictures.

54531_600x400.jpg

The P&G is actually over 6.5lbs.

The Browning BSS in 12, is actually under 6.5.

54532_600x400.jpg

I’ve used this gun to take many pheasants and grouse. Darne R10, 12 gauge. Just a bit over 6lbs, with it’s sling.

54533_600x400.jpg

I’ve got this one, if I’m really worried about weight. 26” tube, under 6 lbs, with a recoil pad.

I should use it more. Model 17. 20 gauge, of course.

54534_600x400.jpg

Best,

Ted

OldSarge

I also have a gun that I can’t sell but that I don’t shoot well at all. It was my Dad’s Citori field 12ga. 26”. He shot a train load of game with that gun, but for some reason I just couldn’t hit squat with it. I could never sell it because it was one of the few prized posessions he passsd to me when he died in March this year. 

Tonight my daughter came over to shoot some clays at my back yard range. She doesn’t currently have a shotgun since getting split from her husband. Anyway, I let her shoot the Citori tonight. Well, after a brief familiarization period, she shot it lights out. She is a strong country girl so no problem holding or swinging that 8 1/2# 12ga. It would seem that the gun was meant for her to inherit instead of me, so I sent it home with her tonight along with a case of pink Federal breast cancer awareness shells. We will be doing some more shooting again soon. 

Dakota Dogman

OldSarge, I think that is the best ending for that gun.  I am actually looking forward to the day I can hand down a little of my dad to the next generation.

God Bless, 

Ted Schefelbein

Outstanding!! My son will be taking his gun safety this September. His Colombian born mother will be in there with him, perhaps she can give it a try on clays-she would never fire at a bird. The boy has his eyes on a few other guns, one is a Beretta Silver Snipe 12 that belonged to his Grandfather, who died when he was three. I saved two of Dad’s deer rifles, but, neither has been fired in many years, and I don’t see us evolving into big game hunters.

I’ve made my peace with the gun my friend gave me. If I can shoot it, I may exercise it a bit, and I’ll let the boy have a run with it, and perhaps his mom.

But, if it goes down the road, so be it. It really should be used by someone who enjoys it.

Best,

Ted

tut

Seems like that little gun would make a good gun for the clays games at that weight.  Would have to open up the chokes I'm thinking.  Light 20 gauge guns can beat you up if you shoot 100 rounds in a day. 

jeff88

The gun that fits this thread is a mid 80's Charles Daly 12 o/u made in Italy.  By no means a great gun, whippy thin 26" barrels and not well-balanced.  It was a wedding present from my younger brother who at the time was trying to get me back into hunting with him.  It worked.  That was my main upland hunter until the mid 90's when I picked up the citori lightening 20 ga.  Haven't used the CD much for a long time but last fall it accompanied me to PA and it saw a lot of use.  My 1st morning at camp it brought down a ruff and a ringneck.

Anyway, without question, it was my favorite wedding gift and still means a lot.

MilRob

My wife’s grandpa gave me a Marlin 39A and a browning A5 sweet sixteen before he died.   Don’t shoot either very often but I won’t sell them either.  

terrym

When my wife and I got married she wanted to buy me something I would keep. I chose a nice old P64 Win 94 .30WCF. Truthfully with my eyes I need a scope. Doesn't matter, I bring it to deer camp but rarely use it. That and the .22 I got from my father are the only guns in my safe that won't be sold while I'm above ground.