fourtrax57

Bird Hunting Rig Lite ... Question for the collective..

WI Outdoor Nut
20 hours ago, 25/06 said:

Absolutely do not do this!

I am assuming this is simply written incorrectly but running even a small trailer without adequate tongue weight is dangerous and at highway speeds will cause you to crash!

A rule of thumb is 10%-12% of Trailers total weight on tongue as a minimum. Once you have this, drive and adjust to make trailer behave.

This rule is for all vehicles and the repercussions for not following it are immediate as soon as the vehicle breaks 50-55mph. Sometimes the trailer wagging is so severe people are not able to get vehicle back below speed in time to recover from a wreck.

This does not matter if you are pulling a small trailer with a small vehicle or a relatively light trailer behind a heavy vehicle.

A good friend of mine's wife picked up some hay with a regular car trailer. The people loaded the trailer level and not that heavy. At interstate speed the trailer began to violently fishtail and took the whole trailer and truck into the ditch. This was a crew cab 3/4 ton Diesel pulling a 1600lb trailer with maybe 1000lb of hay. Car trailers are notoriously biased to pull front engined cars, so even loading the trailer fairly even caused a light tongue.

My Neighbor went to a landscape store and picked up patio pavers. The store loaded the trailer wrong and the whole works ended up in the ditch. This was a 1/2 ton with a two wheeled trailer and about 1500lbs of block. Not overloaded at all just loaded wrong.

Your car should be able to pull a small trailer  but make sure it is loaded properly. On a little car like yours add an aftermarket brake controller and proper wiring. It will make for an enjoyable safe pull. I do not enjoy pulling trailers without their own brakes.

I was thinking the exact same thing.  You will start to get the tail wagging the dog situation and you will be out of control in a few seconds and tough to recover. 

grousehunter 61

The wife just got her Subaru and she loves it, driving on the winter roads is no problem with the all wheel drive. Its her car and I ride in it but find it a little bit to small for me to drive, but as I said, it was bought for her, not me..... I on the other hand found a Toyota 4 runner with a blown motor for $500.00 put another 3,000. in it and it is great, with the v6 motor and the few improvements I installed. It doesn't get the milage that the Subaru gets but I use it for hunting and general use. Still have the 71 chevy truck ( and always will ) 10 mpg.

QCopFbXl.jpg

Changed a few things under the hood

Ae3NsZll.jpg  

Marc

Another Outback user. I love it as a hunting vehicle, no problems on forest roads and comfortable on the highway to and from the woods. 

However.... 

My 2004 had the headgasket fail at 139,000 km. Lots of warning, could see the oil spray on the engine and it was fixed before truly failing. The car was reliable after that until it rusted away. 

I just won the head gasket lottery again. My 2012 had the headgasket fail last month while on a road trip, 132,000 km. There was no sign of a leak externally.  The car overheated and had to be towed to the shop. I was under the impression the whole headgasket issue had been fixed. Apparently not, it is a problem with the engine design that makes it more susceptible to head gasket corrosion. Maybe the gaskets are better now, but they can fail.  Just wish I had more warning signs of a pending problem.

airmedic1

Not to many years ago, Ford marketed their F-150 with an 11,000 pound towing capacity. I like Ford pickups but would never pull 11,000 pounds with any 1/2 ton pickup.  I know someone will say they have done so without an incident but I will always maintain that it isn't safe.  Most vehicles have enough power to get the load moving and get it up to highway speeds but problems occur when you have high side winds, uneven road surfaces, have to make an emergency evasive maneuver or stop emergently.  Believe me when I tell you that tow vehicle weight makes a big difference as does heavy duty suspension and brakes along with trailer brakes.

I know an individual that purchased a 30' Baja boat and tried to pull it with his two door JEEP Cherokee sport with catastrophic results.  His argument was the boats weight was under the vehicles towing capacity. 

I would think the OP's Subaru could safely pull a 700 lb dog trailer balanced correctly with adequate tongue weight.  Trailer brakes with a good electronic controller would make it even safer but is probably not mandatory. 

AM

terrym

Not sure if this an issue down there but up here insurance companies will disallow a claim if you go over vehicle towing specs and get in accident. Just sayin.....

fourtrax57

Seriously, in reality if you take "towing ratings" for most any vehicle and reduce it by 50% you are far closer to being safe towing something. 

The vehicle manufacturers are rather optimistic on what they quote as tow ratings. Obviously it is considered a selling point to beef up said ratings.

Hell, you can get a railroad box car moving with a pickup and good traction but I don't think you want to tow it far!😬