FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
WPG Gizmo

Drone Photography

WPG Gizmo

Many years ago I was really into taking pictures it was all 35mm stuff back when I was in the Marines I took pictures all over the world using a Canon A1 and F1 platforms then everything went digital and I just could not get into it like I did with 35mm sure it was easier take a bunch of pictures and delete the one that you didnt like but it just did not have the same feeling so I got out of it for many years.

Lately I have been flying drones mostly just cheap ones with the Grand kids and they have been fun.  I can also see the possibility of getting some really interesting pictures that I would never get from the ground.  So after doing a ton of research on the different Drones I soon knew that I was not going to drop several thousand on a high end camera drone but I did find one that looks like it will do just what I want.  I ended up with a DJI Spark it has a 12 mega pixel camera and takes video in 1080P.  As soon as I am comfortable flying this Drone it is not one of the cheap ones I was playing with I will see what I can do with it.  Kind of cool that I can see things on my tablet while the drone is flying it has obstacle avoidance sensors built in and it will tell me just how close I am to a object on the tablet.  The camera is adjustable from directly in front to 90 degrees straight down by a switch on the controller and it is stabilized in flight using the same software as the higher priced ones.   

While this may not be everyone's cup of Tea I figure anything that gets me off the couch and doing another thing outdoors cant be all bad

Remo

Sounds like fun. We aren't allowed to use them for game hunting here but I would love to see the hawk's eye view over the dogs.

WPG Gizmo

We can not use them for hunting either and even though it weighs just over a half pound I have to register it with the FAA they have their owns set of rules you have to follow.  The drone I have is smaller then a grouse bigger then a woodcock :D

NW River Mac

Your neighbors are going to love you Gary!

C.J.L.

The use of drones is becoming big business.  We use them to inspect our towers and the videos are invaluable.  Huge files though

WPG Gizmo

It really is fairly quite but I dont intend to fly much around the house.  I think back to all those years when I would have to climb a ladder to inspect a roof of a house when I could have had this and stayed on the ground.  I know that the state is using them now to do video inspections of bridges.   

Fire Marshal Bill

States are using them to inspect bridges and etc. Less expensive and just as reliable as a person in a bucket truck. And safer!!!

Grouseman_1

Good luck Gizmo I’d like to see your videos. I’ve also taken an interest in drones as well. Have only made a couple of videos with my DJI Mavic Pro. I’ve made a couple videos around my house, but don’t fly it here to much. I’m planning on taking footage of my hunting property and photos to help establish food plots, trails etc... I’d also like to get arial footage of some waterfowl hunts during the set-up and takedown of our hides to add a different perspective to the photo memories. My son occasionally takes GoPro footage of our hunts and his dog’s work so he’d have the hunting action which I’d like to merge into the drone footage. But with most things it sounds like a good idea now... but I won’t find/take the time to follow through with...It’s amazing how clear the images are from these drone cameras and how easy the editing software can be to use. 

Mike 

WPG Gizmo

I looked at the Mavic Pro it was more then I wanted to spend the Air looks nice also and I was really considering it we will see how it goes with the Spark and I can always move up so far I have been flying around the house to get the feel of this one I have a direct feed to a ASUS tablet mounted on the controller.  I can see that I need to get up on the roof and clean out the rain diverters I have there :) the 3 batteries give me between 30-45 minutes of flight time.

I took it up to 100 feet and could clearly see a house I know is a 1/4 mile away 

Up North

I just got a drone this week. It takes amazing pics, and video. I’m talking 20 megapixels stills, and 4K video. I’m just learning this thing, but it is way cool.

65DADD89-7610-4604-8DDE-399B62F5B400.jpeg

07E34B61-6F2E-4B58-BE40-4CFA6E30490E.jpeg

salmontogue

I think I read somewhere that Kent is developing a specific loading for drones.

Perk

dogrunner

My neighbor has one and I took a pic as he hovered around the front yard. He also took this not sure how high he was. 

2C54C151-4A5B-4230-8761-4C9B0542F5B0.jpeg

D56BF6F3-21EC-4006-9E1E-90C6DD64103A.jpeg

9DA689E3-B2E8-4D56-AF71-E6927A620344.jpeg

Remo

I remember way back seeing those tower climber pics when the guy was up there changing light bulbs. Almost made me air sick and now we have drones.

Rick Hall
On 7/25/2018 at 5:24 PM, Remo said:

I remember way back seeing those tower climber pics when the guy was up there changing light bulbs. Almost made me air sick and now we have drones.

A drone screwing in a light bulb would be something to see...

Scar

I bought one.  It's fun but with a 20 minute flight time it's somewhat limited in what it can do.  Federal regulations are extremely restrictive but there are lots of people out there doing really neat photography with private drones. 

Check out this cat from OKC that has some really beautiful pieces.  Or the #aerialphotography hashtag on Instagram.

I plan to try to capture my dogs working a covey of quail next season with the help of a friend.  I'm not sure I'll be able to get it done but I'm going to have fun trying.

Here's some stills I robbed from some footage I took last fall.

39559761392_88892a0c9e_c.jpg

27812104709_56ec59c930_c.jpg

Give it a try.