FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
max2

Baby ruffled grouses !

max2

Today I left the job at 4:30 and while driving down the peoples driveway about 6 baby grouse were walking down the edge of the road. I slow down and watched as they single filed down the drive . I guess the pressure of me following was just two much for them to take and to the air they went. So very cool to see. Little round bottoms on them and all were great flyers. Tiny little guy's also ! Gotta love it !

Treerooster

Cool sight.

About how big?

max2
1 hour ago, Treerooster said:

Cool sight.

About how big?

They looked to be about this size. I downloaded this picture for size comparison . This morning while sitting enjoying a cup of coffee an bear walked past my back porch perhaps 20 ft away and I was quite thrilled at this site however the grouse today were quite honestly over the top. Image result for Ruffed grouse from egg to full grown chart

Treerooster

I hear ya.

I saw a grouse brood 2 springs ago. I was walking down a trail and saw 10 or 12 tiny grouse scatter. They weren't much bigger than bumble bees. One tripped over a small root...he would have been toast if I was a predator. Momma did the broken wing act and I got out of there ASAP.

But that incident ranks right up there with a wolf I took pictures of only 20 feet away. The wolf didn't know I was there until he heard the camera clicking.

max2

Because of where I choose to live I have been fortunate to have seen  this many times as well as the mother doing the injured bird routine .  That said  it just never looses that heartbeat effect for "me"   Again  mother nature at it's best ! 

mister grouse

😀Given the grouse thirst on here i would sure keep my street address out of circulation!!  Be like telling Cooter where Peepaw's  still drippings are kept. 

max2
7 minutes ago, mister grouse said:

😀Given the grouse thirst on here i would sure keep my street address out of circulation!!  Be like telling Cooter where Peepaw's  still drippings are kept. 

I will take it a step further  the home grouse don't get hunted  they are to listen to for medicinal purposes . Keeping my head on right. The other grouse sighting's I have spoken of could never be found ..........😉