Reeba

Paddling reports

Hub
14 minutes ago, caleb said:

Small Splitting Axe?  

43769909791_bcf20fc25e_b.jpg

I just got mine earlier this summer, but so far it seems like a keeper.

I think I have had mine almost 20 years.  It's still insane sharp.  I always think very carefully when I use it in the back country, but it's so nice for splitting and clearing.

caleb
15 minutes ago, Hub said:

I think I have had mine almost 20 years.  It's still insane sharp.  I always think very carefully when I use it in the back country, but it's so nice for splitting and clearing.

Agreed, and certainly not the sort of axe you want to miss with and hit your shin.

Reeba

Nice pictures.  The paddle is very nice.  In addition to the bent shaft, it looks like the power face, is cupped, concave toward power face.

Reeba

I hide our axes from the hooligans I go with or someone would get injured.

Reeba
18 hours ago, SelbyLowndes said:

I've always  dreamed of canoeing the Boundary Waters in the north woods.  Life got in my way.  Never did it, but I did a lot of canoe camping down here.  I had a bunch of old tin lard cans with tops I could lash down to keep dry things dry.  I liked the Flint in middle GA and the Suwannee down south to Florida.  I've paddled from the Okefenokee to the Gulf of Mexico a number of times, and I still have the battered up old 17ft. Feathercraft I bought in 1966.  That's 52 years with the same canoe.

We usually camped on sandbars.  The biggest lesson I learned was that it you start your fire with gasoline on a sandbar, you can't strike a match before the sand has conveyed the gas all over the bar.  Big surprise when the sandbar blows up around you.!...SelbyLowndes

Likewise I've always dreamed of paddling the Okefenokee swamp and/or the everglades, but probably won't make it.  Someday we most likely will paddle the estuaries near Savannah as I have a brother there.