Tim Frazier

Thai Cave Rescue

Tim Frazier

This is unbelievable...just amazing that all of them have been rescued.  I don't think it's gotten enough coverage and I think it will set the standard for years to come.

Brad Eden

I've been following it. There was another Topic started yesterday, always room for two

Soccer Team Rescue

I watched some video this morning of the divers weaving the kids through the tunnel, strapped into a stretcher, underwater using air masks.  I saw some description of an actual tube the kids were placed in but that's not what was on the video.

Elon Musk donated a small submarine, but the rescue team doesn't think they can use it. He's leaving it there for any future use. What's interesting is they are taking out the strongest kids first, or those most likely to survive. I guess that makes sense but seems strange to me.

Virgil Kane
26 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

IWhat's interesting is they are taking out the strongest kids first, or those most likely to survive. I guess that makes sense but seems strange to me.

Strongest first in case things go wrong, they are most likely to survive the trauma.  When the stronger make it out it gives hope and lifts the spirits of those that are weaker.

JMHO.

Virgil 

Curt

This morning it looks like all the kids and their coach are out and safe.  Truly remarkable accomplishment, I wish this was the type of news coverage that dominated the modern 24/7 cycle.

TonyS

Bad question alert:

Why, during monsoon season, do you take kids down a cave that you know will fill with water?  

grouse28

Remarkable accomplishment, sad that one brave soul gave his life.

topdog1961
19 minutes ago, TonyS said:

Bad question alert:

Why, during monsoon season, do you take kids down a cave that you know will fill with water?  

Yes, prayers are answered that they are rescued. Now it's time to question why they had to be, and a life was lost to do so. Entering a complex cave system with little preparation shouldn't happen, let alone with kids and during rainy system. 

It it reminds me of the people who decide to go hiking on the Syrian, North Korean, Somali..etc border and end up as bargaining chips for terrorists. And  US soldiers are lost trying to rescue them. In that case they are adults who chose to go there despite the clear danger and state department warnings, and I say let em stay.  

jeff88

Have been following this story like many others - it is a fantastic testimony to both survival and the selflessness of mankind.  The rescuers were faced with an extremely daunting task of not only surviving themselves but rescuing others while keeping them alive.  There had to be one or two divers to go first, to me they are the bravest of the bunch.  They could have turned back many times as they moved through miles of cave diving yet kept on going.  There were spots in the cave system that were tough to navigate especially while in full dive gear as they were unable to get through due to twisting and tightening underwater passages.  I cannot wait to read the full account of how this was accomplished.  Also, I can't wait to see the list of rescuers, where they were from and how they teamed up. 

Even though this may wind up being a very bad decision on the coach's part, how on earth did he keep those boys together?  I've coached boys (and girls) in soccer from u-7 to mid-teens and one thing I know about early teenage boys, they are a handful.  I'm not ready to condemn the coach yet, he had a history of combining coaching with educating where side trips like these were part of the plan to mold young men.  

Brad Eden

IMG_0753.JPG

The last photo of Sgt Major Saman Kunan, retired Thai Navy Seal, who died after he ran out of oxygen after bringing oxygen tanks to the trapped boys and coach.  Heroism and service does not describe this mans sacrifice. Godspeed Sgt Major Kunan.

Oriongs

Yes, they are out, now is the time to seal that %*(# cave up for good.  T-N-T time, close the entrance.  

MoSpaniels

RIP   Sgt. Major Kunan.

4 minutes ago, Oriongs said:

Yes, they are out, now is the time to seal that %*(# cave up for good.  T-N-T time, close the entrance.  

Take a deep breath. Where would we all be, if they done something like you are describing every time someone used poor judgement and got into a "tight spot"

NW River Mac
4 hours ago, topdog1961 said:

Yes, prayers are answered that they are rescued. Now it's time to question why they had to be, and a life was lost to do so. Entering a complex cave system with little preparation shouldn't happen, let alone with kids and during rainy system. 

It it reminds me of the people who decide to go hiking on the Syrian, North Korean, Somali..etc border and end up as bargaining chips for terrorists. And  US soldiers are lost trying to rescue them. In that case they are adults who chose to go there despite the clear danger and state department warnings, and I say let em stay.  

Everyone should go easy, it was a  mistake by a guy who was most likely volunteering his time to mentor boys.  Anyone can armchair quarterback any situation.  It's not on you Topdog, it's the tone of this thread that makes me think I'm reading facebook with only extreme comments.  

gunsrus
5 hours ago, topdog1961 said:

Yes , I think the coach made a bad decision but I may have made that same decision thinking this is real cool not realizing the dangers . 

It's a shame that Sgt. Major Kunan lost his life . He is the true hero .

I do agree that these idiots that stray into North Korea , Syria , Somalia are just that , "IDIOTS" . They were warned .

Clueless1

What a great outcome, sans Sgt Major Saman Kunan (R.I.P., if there were more like him the world would be a better place). 

FWIW I have a teenage son, and I can just imagine that it went something like this "Hey, check it out.  A cave!  I wonder how far we can go in?" 

There have been many decisions in my lifetime that could have ended badly, I am glad it (mostly) ended well. 

tut

I think for sure the coach made a mistake, but hindsight is always 20 20.  I think his ability to keep those young boys alive and sane for 14 days with no food and probably no drinkable water is just short of amazing.  I was amazed when they found them alive in the first place.   I heard today there will be a movie about this rescue.  It is just miraculous they pulled it off.