MAArcher

Best deal GPS / Fish Finder?

MAArcher

Any recommendations for the best value on a GPS fish finder that will be on a 21' walk around used for striper fishing and some offshore bottom fishing?

Recoil Rob

I'm still using my Garmin 498, that's about 10 years old, here on LI Sound.  Fine for a small boat, used is probably your best deal, under $200 on Ebay. I believe you can get a transducer down to 660".

Swampy 16

I believe electronics are as important as your outboard. I use a Garmin I bought new with the Boat last year. The model is escaping me at the moment but don’t short yourself in that department. The Garmins are great. I’ll get things thrown at me for this but steer clear of anything Lowerance. I fished bass tournaments for 23 years and I can tell you from experience, they’re  difficult to use and not very reliable.

RDG

I’ve got two Hummingbirds on my bass boat. 

A 597ci HD at the console and a Helix 5 at the bow running off the universal sonar on my Minn Kota trolling motor. 

Very happy with both. 

WPG Gizmo

Running a Lowrance Hook2 5 splitshot HDI on the kayak this has GPS and down scan didnt need side scan price was right under $300.  My buddy has a Garmin that has been nothing but trouble for him I had it out on Champlain last year had no trouble seeing bottom or fish in over 100 feet of water

polecat

I have a dual freq. color Sitex that looks like a small tv and a Lowrance with the charter/plotter/gps. I recently looked at the hummingbird Helixes. Their bottom resolution surpasses any thing I have seen so far. I don't care much for the side scanning. The demo mode is really impressive. I would look at them in person before buying. I would be buying one but I'm in the process of getting a new 8 4-stroke for trolling with electric start.I can't be leaning over the back of the boat and yanking the darn thing anymore.From what I was told the lower models work almost as good as the bigger ones screen size goes up ,price goes up.The Helix 12 has super duper resolution but the price is over my moon.

LabHunter

I have a Garmin Striker SV (Side View) on our Sea Pro walkaround.  The traditional downlooking CHIRP sonar is great.  The side view is really cool, but of limited use for striper fishing in my opinion.  There are some excellent fishermen here on the Chesapeake who speak very highly of the side view functions on the higher end sonars...but I can't claim the same.

MAArcher
8 minutes ago, LabHunter said:

I have a Garmin Striker SV (Side View) on our Sea Pro walkaround.  The traditional downlooking CHIRP sonar is great.  The side view is really cool, but of limited use for striper fishing in my opinion.  There are some excellent fishermen here on the Chesapeake who speak very highly of the side view functions on the higher end sonars...but I can't claim the same.

This is for my buddy's boat.  It sounds like the consensus is that Garmin puts out a good product.  Trying to decide between Striker or echoMap, any thoughts?

MAArcher
38 minutes ago, LabHunter said:

Would side scan help you tell if there are striper laying up under a thick school of pogy's?

LabHunter
10 hours ago, MAArcher said:

Would side scan help you tell if there are striper laying up under a thick school of pogy's?

You can differentiate between large fish and small fish but it is not as clear to see the difference as on the traditional CHIRP screen (on the CHIRP view it is very easy to tell if there are stripers under bait, etc..).  I have had a couple weird things happen: 1) I lost all my waypoints at the end of last year when I started the boat and the current/voltage dropped enough to turn the unit off and 2) the display occasionally freezes.  When the unit is working, it is great, but it is a little buggy acting in my opinion.  I think the sideview functionality would be great when you are trying to locate structure.  You can see some pretty awesome levels of detail when you are looking at structure (i.e. you could easily make out tree branches, sunken boats, etc.), but for open water fish finding it's got limited usefulness in my opinion.  When I bought the unit, at the $500 price point I could either get side scan or chart plotter functionality.  I chose side scan, thinking that I could use my smartphone for charts. 

That echomap unit looks pretty sweet.  I'd like to have those charts..!  The striker has GPS capability, but not charts.

I hope that helps.  Overall I'm very satisfied.  It's a very capable unit, but as I mentioned, it is a bit buggy.

WI Outdoor Nut

If you are not looking to spend $1000's, I would look at some of the lower end color units from Lowrance.  They are not net-workable, but do have some very nice features for a few $100's.  I am still running some of the 1st generation color units from Lowrance that must be around 15 years old.  Been a very happy customer.