FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SODAKer

Pressure Washer CAT Pump

SODAKer

The old man gave me his older pressure washer that has a CAT pump 2sfx30ggz.  I connected the intake hose and powered up the engine (Honda 6.5 engine). The water pressure did not change whilst coming through the output valve. Checked for blocks in the gun and all was good. The old man told me he thought the pump was shot. Anyways I checked on replacement pumps and they aren't cheap. My question for those who have experience with these things is, it worthwhile to rebuild the pump, replace the pump with another catpump or replace with a different less expensive pump? I have no experience with these. 

Thanks in advance. 

bobman

there is a bypass regulator valve that allows water to flow thru the pump and keep it cool and the pistons wet when the trigger on the gun is closed. take it apart and verify it’s not frozen open and is closing properly 

if it’s stuck open the pump won’t build any pressure

if that’s ok carefully pull the head off and disassemble it ( videos on youtube) if the seals are worn replace them

before you replace the seals make sure the crank shaft and con rods are moving correctly and  drain the oil looking for broken metal chips 

if the crank and rods are ok it’s worth putting a seal kit in

if not junk it and replace the pump

SODAKer

Appreciate the reply Bobman. 

Flush

Those CAT pumps are nice, and if you can fix it (following Bobman's good advice) that would be ideal.

If it's beyond repair and you don't want to spend the money to get a new CAT pump head, you can buy a more standard "cheap" pump unit online (Amazon has many) that should bolt right up to your engine. These are usually available for $100 or less. These cheaper units might be slightly lower pressure or flow rate than the CAT pumps but they are what you will find in most standard units you find at Home Depot or where-ever and for most typical occasional homeowner use, work just fine. You may need to adjust the unloader valve (pressure) slightly to get it to be in good tune with the factory governor on your engine, since the pump units are different, but that is really simple and probably won't even be required.

You just need to make sure you have the right size shaft and mounting holes. On these small engines the vertical shafts are typically one diameter (3/4") while the vertical are another (7/8" typically). Just check the dimensions listed for the pump unit you are looking at and compare it to what your Honda 6.5 has, and you should be fine.

here is an example

generic pressure washer pump

SODAKer

one last question: any advise on getting the old pump off the drive shaft, I've used back out bolts, a pickle bar and oil to no avail.