FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Jake

pigeon problem

Jake

I have a pair of pigeons which have laid three sets of eggs. The first set never hatched and the last two sets hatched but died shortly after. They have free access to cracked corn grit and water. Am I doing something wrong? That set on the eggs but some how I don't think they are feeding the hatchlings when they arrive.  Am I doing something wrong. I am assuming that they are male and female or the eggs wouldn't produce chicks? 

Rick Hall

I've fed whole corn (and whole, hull-on, rice) without apparent difficulties, but have heard that cracked corn is bad news for the babies, as even after whatever processing the parents do it can damage the wee ones' crops.  Don't know that's so, just heard it from sources that believed it so.

Urban_Redneck

It's always a mystery...

During laying season, I add ground oyster shell (30%) to their regular grit (70%), it seems to help make the eggs stronger so the hatchlings are better ready for the world when they come out.

I do my best to keep feed available all day, I feed  Purgrain's 16% protein Breeder/conditioner (80%) cut with cheap bird seed that is mostly red millet(20%).

I put out fresh water 2 or 3 times a day.

I've had a lot of hatchling loss lately, I figured out a squirrel(s) and maybe chipmunks are getting in the coop through the trap. I have surmised they don't kill the hatchlings, but disrupt things enough that parents aren't feeding or are stomping the little ones :( . I deliver .177 justice whenever I can.

drummer's stump

A back yard birdseed mix is better than straight corn. I feed blue seal pigeon mix it works well for an all season feed, as far as grit I prefer FM brown grit.

Jake

I feed the brown grit when available and will switch over to the breeder conditioner.. see if that helps. Also have a red squirrel lately visiting but don't think he can get into the coop. His visits will be curtailed shortly. Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping to develop a few birds that would home to the coop.

CzechSM

I feed a laying hen or gamebird crumble laced with some whole corn in the summer. The higher the protein the better. In the winter I mix half and half. You might not be getting enough protein from the corn. It seems they like corn in the winter to raise their body temp and crumble in the summer. I only use these birds for training relatively short distances so true racing people will differ. 

marysburg

On advice from a relative in the livestock feed business, I feed 20% chick starter, medicated with Amprolium to control coccidiosis.  We can't get gamebird rations or pigeon mix here.  I add grit and shell.  Same ration all year round, and so far no reproductive issues with the birds.  That's for the flyers (homers).  The shooters which I buy from a local high school kid only get chicken layer ration with added shell and grit.  They aren't around long enough to need more than that.  I agree fully with ChechSM's comment about the low protein in what you are feeding, and hen layer ration is too low in protein for the best development of squabs.  It is fine for older, non-breeding birds, though.

bmeador

Cracked corn is the WORST food for the chix to ingest. It will cause them to die. I get this info from 2 older field trialers and pigeon people. I feed cheap bird seed year round and supplement with oyster shell and brown grit. Been doing it for decades.