FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Irishwhistler

STORM - STANDARD POODLE UPDATE - "HOLD"

Irishwhistler

My work continues with  STORM, a standard poodle pup in the forging of him as a gundog prospect.  Having been concentrating on basic obedience heavily since June 3rd, we continue working in that regard whilst adding in making him comfortable in the water as well as introduction to the HOLD conditioning process.  I had determined that STORM had some dysfunctional mouth related issues and would only HOLD items he wanted to and on his own terms.  I wanted to squash these mouth related behaviors like a bug and so I started him on the training table last night.  

My initial work included getting STORM comfortable on the training table.  I used a leather gloved hand inserted into STORM'S mouth to start the process and met with some mild resistance but continued working through it.  As we progressed I observed STORM becoming more accepting of the gloved hand and noted that he is very soft mouthed overall.    I also consider STORM quite "soft" in dealing with training pressure so I proceed slowly and keep training related pressure relatively light.

1286904912_DSC07796STORMONFFTABLEResized.thumb.jpeg.d4e68c690127c54338076491be3313fb.jpeg

STORM on the FORCE FETCH table is waiting to start his second session of HOLD conditioning.  I started the sessions with a leather glove over my hand and inserted in his mouth.  A chain of behaviors and relative commands included me inserting my gloved hand into STORM'S mouth whilst issuing the command "HOLD".  With each "HOLD"  getting progressively longer, I used "delay" of random and increasing durations before issuing the command "GIVE" and removed my hand concurrently.  This chaining of commands and behaviors resulted in the sequence I was working to establish.  Nearly each successive trial brought STORM more confidence and competence.

1013768152_DSC07803STORMWITHROLLERResized.thumb.jpeg.083105c4e14735126298b74198a19f80.jpeg

I next moved toward having STORM hold a variety of items to teach STORM to generalize the HOLD of any number of objects that I command him to.  STORM is seen holding a paint roller in this photo and his HOLD was being shaped to be firm but not destructive and to reduce any extraneous mouthing (an effort to correct pre-existing dysfunctional mouthing behaviors).

1769078980_DSC07806STORMWITHTRAININGBUCKResized.thumb.jpeg.cfb68347ca0158e5591b92c74f5ecc2c.jpeg

STORM holding a "training buck".  Any associated dropping of items was met with swift correction and I utilize tonal inflection of my voice to let STORM know when I am not happy.  Conversely, I use verbal praise and physical contact to reinforce / reward successful performance of each given task.

337559152_DSC07811STORMWITHDOWL.thumb.jpeg.136cbd690115c76f66f91b96ed771192.jpeg

In this example, a large diameter wooden dowel wrapped in electrical tape is just one additional item I use to teach the K9 to generalize his HOLD of a number of different objects.  As the process continues forward additional items will continue being introduced into the "HOLD" sequence.

Only STORM'S 2nd consecutive session tonight, I was very pleased with his overall acceptance of the process and his work ethic.  STORM is an intelligent dog and grasps concepts rather quickly.  I have really enjoyed working with STORM to date and watching his progression toward gundog competence.  STORM has a long way to go, but progress is observed nearly daily and I have trust that he will continue to flourish in his training program. 👌

Cheers,

THE DOG WHISTLER 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸

Jake

Interesting. How old is Storm. I have a black standard I am working with and from training other breeds see quite a difference mentally.  I think he is very smart, learns quickly and also gets bored with repetition. He does triple marks/retrieves and loves working with dummy launcher for long marks.  Need to get him working in water and sitting on flush. But more than anything he is a fantastic companion for both myself and my wife.

Irishwhistler
2 hours ago, Jake said:

Interesting. How old is Storm. I have a black standard I am working with and from training other breeds see quite a difference mentally.  I think he is very smart, learns quickly and also gets bored with repetition. He does triple marks/retrieves and loves working with dummy launcher for long marks.  Need to get him working in water and sitting on flush. But more than anything he is a fantastic companion for both myself and my wife.

Jake,

I definitely concur with you on the  intelligence and a different overall mentality relative to other breeds I have worked with.  STORM is a rather young / immature 9 month old.  It sounds as though your poodle is at a much more advanced phase of training than is STORM.   I have only been working with STORM for less than two months.  STORM shows promise as a gundog and like your poodle is an incredible companion to his entire family.

Mike 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸

phonefly

I got lucky.  My Frida -- black standard female-- taught herself every thing she knows.  At 6 moths she flushed, marked it down and flushed again.  I wasn't even hunting that day.

After that -- she has been on her own.  Never will point, but when that tail get in rapid motion - she is going to flush.  She is a constant 30 yard dog. 

She probably would not suit most of y'all.  She fits just fine for me.  Flush a grouse  --- absolutely hates turkeys.  And she grabbed a guy several years ago that was "checking out the stuff in my car." Best of all worlds.

She is now 12 and and slowing down and for what ever reason has a slight aversion to rifle fire.

She and my yellow lab make a good pair.