Sign in to follow this  

Boundary Waters Trip Advice

So, my old man finally retired after 43 years of teaching high school and coaching high school sports.  He loves to hunt and fish, and hooked my brothers and me on it as well.  He busted his butt for a long time to provide for all of us, and never got out as much as he wanted to.  He coached football (6 years) and volleyball (37 years) along with teaching.  His summer and fall schedules were usually pretty full with summer camps and weekday and weekend games.  The result was that he has been limited to quick, 1-2 day trips at most for the last 40 years.  Usually all he could commit was a Saturday morning here or there.  That isn't as bad as it sounds - after 43 years, he has taught and coached pretty much everyone's kid and grandkid; he has unlimited access to lots and lots of prime private ground all over southeast Idaho, along with detailed scouting reports from landowners.  Usually a few hours on Saturday was enough for a pretty good time.  Anyway, now that he is retired, he wants to do some bigger trips. 

So, my brothers and I are taking him and my uncle to the Boundary Waters for 6 days this next week.  We are heading out of the Ely area.  I know there are some regular BWCA trippers on here.  I'd be interested in any advice you might offer specific to a multi-day BWCA trip.  We've got fairly extensive experience with multiday backcountry and raft trips, so we're not complete newbies, but none of us have done much serious canoeing.  I'd also be interested in any recommendations for fishing lures/tackle/techniques.  Most of my fishing experience is rivers/trout.  Any insight into the fishing there would be helpful.  

Thanks,

Rob

Don Steese

I have no advice to offer but good on you for doing this!

Chesepeakes_Man

The absolute best advise I can give to you is bring lots and lots of bug dope, head nets etc. The sceeters are fierce in the BWs. You'll have  blast and catch a lot of fish.

Dale

bennelli-banger

do you have a permit yet? as far as fishing, I would bring jigs and use leeches if you legally can...I think you still can use live bait on the US side...shiners would be good as well...go to a local bait shop and ask for advice and buy some stuff there...they will help you with fishing info.  by this time you should have a permit that allows you into a certain area, which basically dictates what lakes you can access and camp on...that is a biggy at this point.  slip bobbers are a technique i like for walleyes and smallmouth bass.  rapalas of varying types are good...topwater, diving types, etc...great for bass and pike.  if you get to duluth, call me at 218-591-2627  as I have a great pack made by granite gear you can use called the "quetico"...you will need several duluth packs as well for your gear which you can rent from an outfitter up there, of which there are many.  i have a portable graph that has suction cups that affix to the canoe that you can take as well...should still work with new batteries...haven't used it in 15 years, but it is GREAT for depth, seeing fish, structure, etc...take me up on it.  mike schneider.  oh, get anchor bags that you put rocks in...major deal there.

Reeba

Go to bwca.com   It has a ton of information that covers all of the options.  Mn. Lake finder is a good source for information about the status of the fishery in each lake.  I prefer smallmouth bass fishing especially this time of year.  If you flyfish this time of year in the evening there is plenty of action from smallmouth bass with poppers.  Use poppers that are larger than sunfish poppers, but smaller than largemouth bass poppers.  During the day fish visible subsurface rocks to rocks that are just out of sight.  I use crayfish or leech imitations about 2 1/2 to 3 inches with lead bead eyes.  Bright rubber legs, silver or gold tinsel  over chenille bodies and rabbit strip or marabou tails.  Olive is a favorite or black. 2X tippets.

My spin buddies like tube jigs, twister tail jigs, minnow imitating plastic bodies on jigs. 8 lb. test.  In the evening if there is a mayfly hatch, my spin buddies use random smaller surface baits.

I wear long pants and long sleeves for the portage (sweatshirt thickness) and a headnet and no mosquito spray as I don't like spray.  My buddies use plenty of deet.  Mosquitos aren't bad out on the water until dark.  After dark go in the tent or sit by a campfire with mosquito protection.  Depending on wind during the day mosquitos are hit and miss at camp, but not bad on the lake.  Warm enough to swim now which is refreshing.

Since you already camp, you know that part.  But google how to lift/carry/portage a caone.

Have fun it's one of our favorite trips of the year which we've done for over 20 yrs. now

Tilkut

Leeches always great for smallies and walleye if allowed. Crawlers too.Love Lindy rigs on any rock bar you can find. Fish them with your bail open until you feel a fish.  1/8 ounce black jig heads with 3”yellow twister tails for smallies and occasional walleye. Tubes are grea for smallies also. Shad rap in perch, along with 13G floating Rapala. Good start. FYI the mosquitos are so bad here in Wisconsin, i think I’d look into a screen tent to bring along to cook and eat in etc...... and bug coat along with hat. They are the worst here I have ever seen. 

Tilkut

Oh yah, a few topwater lures. Chug baits and prop type. Great fun. 

Tilkut

And the best seat back and butt cushions you can find. I’m getting old. 

bennelli-banger
28 minutes ago, Tilkut said:

And the best seat back and butt cushions you can find. I’m getting old. 

i may have a few of the back rests...

C.J.L.

Toting leeches in a backpack while portaging a canoe might become an adventure in its own way.  

bennelli-banger
17 minutes ago, C.J.L. said:

Toting leeches in a backpack while portaging a canoe might become an adventure in its own way.  

they are usually packed in a heavy plastic bag, and can usually be transferred into a leech bucket within a few hours at the most while portaging or when you get to your destination...

Rockdoc

I found that to avoid the mosquitos and black fly's camping on a any of the areas many small islands was the answer. Never had a problem with either, I also never had any bear problems camped on an island way out on the lake. As others have mentioned, what did I miss most on any of my Boundary Waters trips was a nice backrest. My last trip I packed a few folding chairs for my son and me.

Steve

Ontdon

Thermocell is your friend.

Okhotnik

Camping on an island definitely limits bugs. Bring thermacells for sitting at camp. Long sleeve shirts and pants . Spray clothes and tent with this

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sawyer-Products-Permethrin-Premium-Clothing-Insect-Repellent-9-oz-Aerosol/21811673?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=2015&adid=22222222228017579647&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=40969452752&wl4=pla-78912348392&wl5=9008124&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=21811673&wl13=2015&veh=sem

really helps, along with deet cut down on bugs

3/8 oz bottom walkers trolled with small jointed gold , orange rapalas and leeches. 1/2 oz jigs with Berkeley power bait curly tail grubs 

great advice to bring anchor bag to fill with rocks. Bring jaw openers and needle nose Pliars for pike. 

Duct tape, extra filet knives, closed cell foam for canoe seats, extra paddles.  Gorgeous country I grew up not too far and spent many summers there exploring and canoeing 

Reeba

We just returned from there this last weekend.  Mosquitos are much thicker in Wi. right now as it's been wetter here.  They were not bad this year in the bwca, but compared to Utah they may seem bad.  So prepare for mosquitos, but they're at reasonable levels this year.  Also take precautions for the bears with your food, but in 20 yrs. we've yet to see a bear there.