FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
TB Owl

new boots

TB Owl

I have been searching for a new pair of all leather boots to use when I am out quail hunting, hiking etc.. wanted an all leather boot and didn't want to order online so had searched online and found a small archery shop in town carried these Crispi Nevada GTX's.  They fit well and gave me the roomy toe box that some others didn't.  Have gone on a couple short 4-5 mile hikes the past two weekends and they just keep getting more comfortable.  Shop also gave me a 10% veterans discount.  Very happy with them.

boots.jpg

Don Steese

They look very nice. I have fat calves so I prefer a boot that height.  An extra big toe box is also a plus.  I wish you miles and miles of happy feet!😀

Cold Iron

Great choice! I have 3 pairs of Crispi boots including the Nevada. I have the Idaho on now and wear them everyday in the summer. And the Hunter GTX come hunting season. The ABSS Ankle Support System works, and works well. Although not all their boots have it the more expensive ones do. I have degenerative arthritis in my left ankle and have to get a cortisone shot before hunting season just to walk any distance. Between the shot, custom orthotics from Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine and the Crispi boots I can still hunt. They are European sized (Italian) and I had to go up to a 10.5 instead of my normal size 10 in most lasts. But they fit and work well.

I have custom Russel Moccasin Grand Slam Sheep Hunters, Lowa, several Cablea's perfekt (Meindl), Bean Cresta hikers, and a bunch of others over the years. In the 70's started with the Vasque Sundowner until Red Wing moved production from Italy to China and ruined them. The Crispi boots blow them all away IME. Did I mention great choice?! I shouldn't really say anything they are getting easier to purchase but still only import so many a year and when they come in better jump on them. Looks like Crispi USA just restocked and the Guide is now back in stock in 10.5 which is my next boot. Midway USA and Scheels are also starting to carry some Crispi boots I got my Nevada's through Midway.

CzechSM

I just bought a pair yesterday with hopes that their ankle support system will assist my surgically repaired foot and ankle. So far no hikes but I like their fit. I have had Danner's, Asolo's, Solomon's, Red Wings, Meindl's and probably more I don't remember. I have a pair of Kenetreks I really like but after my foot surgery the higher boot isn't working out well with my calf.

I bought my Kenetreks and the Chrispi's at Scheels. Other than the research I did before buying what really sealed the deal was that both times I was told if I didn't like them or had issues within a year I was to bring them back for full refund. After that year they would send them back to the manufacturer and they would deal with it. I like companies that stand behind their product. 

For all of you with good feet and ankles........I'm jealous 

TB Owl

Thanks for the feedback, one thing I did need to do was install superfeet insoles that I use in my other shoes/boots.  The factory one was pretty thin.

terrym

Boots can be tough. I have flat feet like a gorilla. So did my dad. I need EEE width so finding one that fits is tough. For warm dry conditions I love my Meindls. Cold &  wet I seem to wear Mucks more and more. If these work for you my advice is order a second pair. 

Hub

Those look exactly like Meindl Danali's.  I don't know ow who copied who, but I like the design.

scottspec2

Thanks for the report, I might check these out. I need to buy a new par of top quality boots before this season, as last year I wore out a pair of Danner Crater Rims. They were repairable, but they'll be on backup/reserve duty this season.

Cold Iron
On 7/16/2018 at 2:53 PM, Hub said:

Those look exactly like Meindl Danali's.  I don't know ow who copied who, but I like the design.

The wrap around rand and lacing system in both has been common in many mountain hunting\hiking boots for awhile now. Crispi tried to enter the US market a number of years ago but the distributor they used was not good and they failed, so dropped out of the market for a few years. But have been back for around 3 years or so now. Basic design is the same but they have expanded the US line. And have always been aimed at the mountain elk and sheep hunters.

Before Cabelas had the Denali they had the hunter which the Denali is designed after. Second from the right. The hiker low cut is second from the left. After saddle soap and HDLP treatment.

19929110230_7517270396_o.jpg

The Crispi all leather lineup goes up in height starting with the Nevada which TB Owl posted. Here are mine at the Sweet 16 shoot guarding ~1,000 once fired 16 ga. hulls I picked up for $40 in May 2017 when they were new.

40068625331_04ea9c466b_b.jpg

Next in height is the Guide GTX at 10" which now comes in uninsulated in addition to the insulated model. They are the equivalent to the Denali which is 9" tall. Well actually they are a LOT better IMO. But of course cost more. The papa bear of them all is the Hunter HTX at 12". The Ex used to say I had chicken calves and guess I do, the taller boots fit me well and the taller they are the more support they offer.

Here are my Hunters next to the Guide after the 2016 season. The Guide was in my standard size of 10 which was tight so only wore them inside to see if they would eventually fit. They did not so went up in size to 10.5 on the Hunters which worked for me.

31766235473_b61ef9e6a4_b.jpg

Now that the Guide is available in uninsulated and thanks to TB Owl post I just ordered a pair last night. Got the Nevada through Midway because they were the only ones that had them in stock at the time. Scheels is good and I like them a lot. But most of mine have been through Black Ovis who is basically Crispi USA and their customer service is also outstanding, huge improvement over the original distributor. You can get a 10% discount for signing up for their emails. As I already did that I used WS-10-XTUGT to get 10% last night and free shipping. I also have the uninsulated Idaho which I have been living in this summer.

Crispi_2.JPG

The Crispi boots have allowed me to continue walking and hunting where all other boots have failed. Granted can only do 5-6 miles a day which is half of what I used to be able to do. But it is better than sitting on the couch.

WeeWilly

When my Kenetrek Mtn. Extreme's are done, they will be replaced by Nevada's but that will be a while even at 6yrs old. I will be running Crispi's Briksdal this year for a lighter version.

Jim Vander

Im interested as Im due for new hard country boots and the Nevada uninsulated looks like great option. Do they seem to fit true to size width? I know its subjective but figured Id ask.

Tom Avent

Yes, I too am in the market for a new "mountain" boot. How does the Nevada compare to the LOWA Tibet GTX? Based on just the website, the Nevada is $25 more, but a tad bit lighter.

CzechSM
3 hours ago, Jim Vander said:

Im interested as Im due for new hard country boots and the Nevada uninsulated looks like great option. Do they seem to fit true to size width? I know its subjective but figured Id ask.

I have messed up feet and the Nevada seems to fit the same size as my other boots but might have a slightly larger toe box. I tried the uninsulated boot but the insulated ones fit my feet better. I only wear a thin liner sock so that might be the difference. 

When you drop that kind of money they better fit. 

NVChukarChaser
On 7/16/2018 at 9:53 AM, Hub said:

I have the Denali’s and the Crispi Guides GTX. They look like the same boot they ankle support in the Crispi is way different. The Denali is a good boot, love them for chasing Chukar in the Great Basin. Especially after a pair of the Green Feet insoles or whatever they are called. The reason for the Crispis is for when I have a heavy pack on deer hunting. With a couple bad ankles the Denalis don’t have the support you need with a 50 pound pack in and hopeful full pack out. That ABSS is not a BS sales gimmick. It’s the real deal. I’m happy with both brands. Both are great boot. Bad ankles or heavy loads lean towards the Crispi. Lean and mean and fast moving I would lean towards the denali’s. One draw back to the Denali’s were the $50 insoles I put in them that aren’t necessary in the Crispis. 

BIRDY
On 7/22/2018 at 4:35 PM, NVChukarChaser said:

I have the Denali’s and the Crispi Guides GTX. They look like the same boot they ankle support in the Crispi is way different. The Denali is a good boot, love them for chasing Chukar in the Great Basin. Especially after a pair of the Green Feet insoles or whatever they are called. The reason for the Crispis is for when I have a heavy pack on deer hunting. With a couple bad ankles the Denalis don’t have the support you need with a 50 pound pack in and hopeful full pack out. That ABSS is not a BS sales gimmick. It’s the real deal. I’m happy with both brands. Both are great boot. Bad ankles or heavy loads lean towards the Crispi. Lean and mean and fast moving I would lean towards the denali’s. One draw back to the Denali’s were the $50 insoles I put in them that aren’t necessary in the Crispis. 

I have a pair of the denalli’s and the insole is just ok. You using the green insole by super feet? They have a trail version that sounds good as well?