REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Mike da Carpenter

Garmin Alpha 100 or Sport Dog TEK 2.0...

Mike da Carpenter

Hello all, I just contacted Sport Dog to see about getting my old SD1800 back into working condition, and since they no longer make, or supply, that unit, I was offered the latest TEK 2.0 with Ecollar capabilities for the “loyalty” price of $604 shipped to my door.

what are your opinions on the TEK 2.0 vs. Garmin Alpha 100 for my GSP?  I have been waiting for Garmin to run another sale on the Alpha just because I find the $800 to be a hard pill to swallow, but now, if I can get the same thing in SD for $600, I’d be a happy camper.  

Opinions...???

gjw

Hi Mike, can't speak personally about the TEK 2.0 but it seems to be a mixed feeling on these units.  Quite a few posts here on this board about them.  You can do a search and find a bunch of info.

I do have a Alpha, best unit (next to my old Dogtra 2000T&B) I've ever owned.  Plenty of features (some I'll never use!).  I've had mine for two years and never had one problem or issue with it.  To me it's pretty user friendly, and I'm far from being a tech kind of person.  Never used the Garmin costumer service, never had too!  To me the $800 was well worth it.  The customer service at SD was so-so IMO.

I have owned SD products in the past.....and well let's just say, I'll never own one again.

Good Luck in your search!

Greg

mister grouse

There are many past posts on here and topics about the excellent customer folks have received from Sportdog, including some from me.  The 2.0 is not a product I have used .  So l cannot comment on that collar.  But I can comment on the excellent customer support I have gotten on the TEK 1I own.  And I would just say I support companies that support their customers. 

Mike da Carpenter

Thought about it for a day, slept on it, and in truth I really want the Alpha, so just like my working tools...but once, cry once.  Might as well get what my research has led me to, and not just go with the better deal.  I will be ordering the Alpha, probably later this week.

gaberdeen

Love my Alpha. I just carry the owners manual in the truck at all times and reread it over and over every season. Maybe one day the info will stick in my head!

gjw
10 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Thought about it for a day, slept on it, and in truth I really want the Alpha, so just like my working tools...but once, cry once.  Might as well get what my research has led me to, and not just go with the better deal.  I will be ordering the Alpha, probably later this week.

You won't be sorry!

Good Luck!

Greg

Mike da Carpenter

Wait and ye shall be rewarded.  On vacation in Northern Michigan right now, and went for a drive into town and just got cell reception.  First email I opened was from lion Country Supply and they have factory refurbished Garmin Alpha 100 and TT15 combos on sale for $650.  BINGO!!!!  One is now on its way to my place.