2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
ccavacini

Sling TV

ccavacini

Anyone use?  We have Dish at the lake (which is being presently remodeled).  We're looking for alternatives.  Direct TV won't work because of a tree in the way of their satellite. We can't get cable on our side of the lake.   

I know it's internet based (and can be used with phone, tablets, computers).  We have four tv's, but only one smart tv.  Is there a way to get the sling to work on the other (non smart) ones?

lee sykes

You need a Roku. The $40/mo. deal allows you to stream on several devices at one.  If you get the 40 dollar deal and pay for two months in advance, you get a free roku.   Naturally you need a computer, a wireless modem  and high speed internet.  I still have cable but now you have me thinking...

C.J.L.

Where is you cabin,  who is your phone service provider and how is the service on your phone at that location?  That's #1.  Sling works off your personal devices connection to a tower so if you have good 4G service you should be good with Sling.  

ccavacini
Just now, C.J.L. said:

Where is you cabin,  who is your phone service provider and how is the service on your phone at that location?  That's #1.  Sling works off your personal devices connection to a tower so if you have good 4G service you should be good with Sling.  

Phone service is Verizon and have good service.  Not concerned with the phone, tablet, computers....

The biggest question is, will Sling (or Roku) work on tv's that aren't smart?

sloth5202

Roku makes dumb TV's smart.  That's why it was created. 

ccavacini
1 minute ago, sloth5202 said:

Roku makes dumb TV's smart.  That's why it was created. 

Got it, thanks.

sloth5202

I believe you will need an HDMI input on your TV so we aren't talking dial era dumb😁

ccavacini
16 hours ago, sloth5202 said:

I believe you will need an HDMI input on your TV so we aren't talking dial era dumb😁

All (my) tv's have the HDMI inputs.

OldColonel

All current tv’s have HDMI, older tv’s out there may not

Korthaar

I had sling. It was good. I don't have cable, but I have wireless. My cable provider wised up and offers the same sling service and includes the "local" ABC, CBS, NBC, and fox channels for a similar price.  With a 70.00 internet bill, I'm still just shy of 100.00 to the cable company every month. They know how to get it in the end.

I watch  a lot of you tube, Netflix and Amazon. YouTube is great. I watch 2-3 upland hunting shows. You can learn most anything on it. I just saved 4-500.00 self repairing my own dishwasher, learned some different ways to preserve garden vegetables, and the fundamentals of photography in the past week.

Up North

I been asking our new neighbors if they sling, but I don’t think they get it. 😉

hexfly

I hulu, run a ROKU stick and stream most everything.  One adjustment is you cant channel surf, pick what you think you might like, turn it on and if you hate it, close the app and chose another channel.  Kind of frustrating;  but you can find all kinds of free streaming outdoor channels and it works well for out cabin.  I had to change internet providers as the 5mps service created lots of buffering when watching the live channels. 

Don Steese

My TV's never been in a sling, but my butt has.....on more than one occasion!!😃

TonyS

Using a Roku through an internet cable you can pick up probably 20 FREE channels.  The only one I pay for is netflix.  Most of the free channels have older movies but some like Pluto have another 20 or so channels that stream live tv.  I have been watching a program on Pluto called 'American Hoggers' that is entertaining (although the dialog is stupid).

No one is imprisoned by network TV or cable any longer.

henryrski
3 hours ago, Don Steese said:

My TV's never been in a sling, but my butt has.....on more than one occasion!!😃

Why is that so easy to believe?