2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Tim Frazier

Favorite Tequila

Tim Frazier

Best....

Best for the buck...

Worst....

duluthUPLAND

I've been drinking Altos lately, I think it's a quality pour for pretty good value. If I'm going for the best value possible, I'll buy El Jimador. 

jeff88

Tim, as long as it's 100% pure agave, it makes it for me.  

Best may be:  Herradura Añejo

Best buy or for mixing in a Margaita:  Cimarron Blanco

Worst:  The morning after a lot of bad tequila from the bar during Margarita specials night

Best way to order a tequila:  On one of those Martini specials nights order a tequila martini, shaken, garnished with a lime using a decent brand.  The bartender will likely never heard of a martini like this so just point to one of the upper shelf bottles for yours.  Do not let them even open a bottle of vermouth.  I've had some decent brands, shaken until well chilled and poured in  martini glass for $3.  For purists, no lime.

barna

I like Don Julio Anejo, but also like Reposado Herradura.  these are good sippin tequilas, like mine a little chilled.  

Barna

GuyO

Any of the Patrons are my go to. Avion is pretty good too. Cuervo Black was a good mixing tequila for the money. I have a bottle of Cuervo Familia Reserve that I sip once in a while. 

Ive started dabbling in Mezcal. Could be a slippery slope!

NECarson
58 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

Worst:  The morning after a lot of bad tequila from the bar during Margarita specials night

Best way to order a tequila:  On one of those Martini specials nights order a tequila martini, shaken, garnished with a lime using a decent brand.  The bartender will likely never heard of a martini like this so just point to one of the upper shelf bottles for yours.  Do not let them even open a bottle of vermouth.  I've had some decent brands, shaken until well chilled and poured in  martini glass for $3.  For purists, no lime.

That's not a martini. 

That's just chilled tequila in a fancy glass. 

duluthUPLAND
1 hour ago, jeff88 said:

Ditto on the 100% agave, that's my only real qualification for trying something, which reminds me, Costco also carries a 100% agave tequila for the budget-conscious drinker.  

Tim Frazier

I knew I could get some great information here.  Since I started eating low carb in May my tolerance for alcohol has hit rock bottom.  I can get stomach cramps from even low carb alcohol.  Then my BIL blended some ICE, Strawberries and poured in some tequila the other night and I got none of the side effects.  So it looks like I might become a tequila drinker ;-)

Craig Doherty
47 minutes ago, GuyO said:

Ive started dabbling in Mezcal. Could be a slippery slope!

It needs to be a slippery slope for the worm to go down easily!! ;)

jeff88
1 hour ago, NECarson said:

That's not a martini. 

That's just chilled tequila in a fancy glass. 

What???!!!

Today what makes a martini a martini is a martini glass.  What's in it, gin, vodka or tequila is up to the drinker.  The name comes from Martini and Rossi who are makers of vermouth.  The classic/original martini is 2 parts gin, 1 part vermouth garnished with a green olive.  A dry one is 1/2 the vermouth.  Extra dry is no vermouth.  Served shaken with ice if you want it cold or stirred if not.

The idea I proposed is for how tequila drinkers can get great stuff for martini "special" prices, often 2 to 3 bucks per.  There are lots of bars with martini nights.  I like mine cold by shaking with ice. 

BlacknTan

I guess I never developed a taste for tequila/mezcal. While I don't know what jet fuel tastes like, I imagine tequila to be a kissing cousin. I brought a bottle into deer camp one year... I bet it's still in the cabinet all these years later!

gmikrut

I just bought a bottle of El Padrino Extra Anejo for a sipping tequila.  enjoying it so far!

C.J.L.

All I know or what I can remember is I'm glad no one had phones with cameras back in those days.  No mas no mas

jeff88
10 minutes ago, C.J.L. said:

All I know or what I can remember is I'm glad no one had phones with cameras back in those days.  No mas no mas

LOL!

Tequila has fueled many a lost, insane and/or crazed night.  Seems like tequila more than anything else.  I once watched a guy drink 10 shots in a row off the bar and turn the glasses over after each one.  He told the bartender to do it again.  20 minutes later he was occupying valuable floor space in a very crowded 6th street Austin TX bar.  His friends carried him out.  Wonder how the next day was for him?

stripersonfly
44 minutes ago, BlacknTan said:

I guess I never developed a taste for tequila/mezcal.

BlacknTan and others who fall into this category...do yourself a favor and try some good tequila.  Early on, my only exposure to tequila was cheap stuff.  Like any other liquor, it is rot gut stuff that tastes awful.  If you get a chance, try a glass of Patron Anejo or Silver Tequila (probably not the best tequila out there, but a very good one, and one you can find at most bars).  It is truly night and day from the cheap stuff.

I am not a tequila connoisseur, I too follow the 100% agave rule.  I have had the Don Julio Anejo, and it is wonderful.