Kieffer

Subaru CVT

Kieffer

Any of the Subaru owners here have any concerns with the longevity of their CVT?  I haven’t had any issues with mine, but with just hitting 115,000 on my 2012 Outback, it has me wondering what’s to come.  Anyone have any experience with high mileage CVT's?

Jacquidog

What have you done for maintenance?  I believe Subaru has increases the warranty period but that would not apply without proof of maintenance.

Kieffer

At this point, nothing for the CVT.  The manual only says to inspect it.  The local dealership recommends changing the fluid at 100,000.  I'll get it changed shortly, but I've been debating replacing the vehicle.  Subaru did increase the warranty period, but I believe you would need to have an issue with it prior to the end of this month for a vehicle with the number of miles that mine has.  I haven't had any problems, so I don't think there is anything to be done with the warranty.

spinfly

I have the same mileage on my '14 Outback, have not experienced any problems.

grousehuntr

I have similar mileage on my 2010.  No issues with it. Now the front brakes are a separate issue.  Thing goes through rotors, they warp for some reason. Gonna be replacing it soon. I'm considering a 4 runner. 

airmedic1

I have had three Outbacks, a 2010, 2013 and now a 2017. I had problems with the 13 burning oil and the shift points were messed up from the day we drove it off the lot. It wouldn’t stay in 6th gear at highway speeds and would run in 5th all of the time. You could shift it to 6th with the paddle shifter but it wouldn’t stay. Mileage sucked and the dealership couldn’t figure out how to change them. The 2010 and the 2017 stay in 6th at 80 mph. Never had it serviced since we got rid of it just after 110k.  We have never had brake issues either. 

AM

mikegillam

My daughter has  2013 Crosstrek with 90,000.  Just had a new short block installed (warranty) based on oil burning.  Other than the oil issue, the car has been rock solid.  Knock on wood...

salmontogue
26 minutes ago, mikegillam said:

My daughter has  2013 Crosstrek with 90,000.  Just had a new short block installed (warranty) based on oil burning.  Other than the oil issue, the car has been rock solid.  Knock on wood...

Were you told the cause of the excessive oil consumption?  Good on Subaru for honoring the warranty.

Perk

Dogwood
10 hours ago, mikegillam said:

Any idea how much oil it burned over so many miles etc?

Brad Eden

Timely Topic. JoAnns Nissan Rogue is getting up there in mileage, and Im trying to talk her into a Crosstrek or a Forester. (She loves the Nissan, but they have changed body style since 2013, that she doesn't like, and are so popular now the price has gone way up.) She drove a friends new Crosstrek a couple weeks ago, and liked it. I'm hoping she likes the Forster better since that would be better for traveling with dogs etc.

C.J.L.

You might still have a timing  belt if it's 2012 and it used to be those had to be replaced at 120k or so.  I think they changed to timing chains for 2013 and from what I've read that made some engines burn oil.  Not sure how or why.  

tut

My daughter was all set to replace her Toyota RAV with a Subaru Forester or Outback and then starting reading about the CVT issues.  New plan is to wait till the newly redesigned RAV comes out in Dec and test drive that first.  RAV doesn't have a CVT and she has had great luck with her 2007 RAV with 155K on it. .

mikegillam
4 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Any idea how much oil it burned over so many miles etc?

I believe it was 1qt over 4000 miles, or whatever the corresponding ounces to the miles when checked.  She had been in the "oil consumption protocol" for a few months, always came up about 1oz short.  However, her last trip to West Virginia, burned enough to qualify.  Keep in mind that Subaru extended warranties to 8 yrs or 100,000 for the models that had oil issues.  Their first attempts at solving the issue was to replace rings, which didn't do enough.  A new short block was the result of a class action suit. 

airmedic1

My 2013 Outback burned a quart of synthetic every 1500 miles or so.  The dealer told me it had to be down to 1250 miles before they would do anything. I had them change the oil the last time and it didn't qualify for repairs.  I filled out the paperwork for the class action but traded it shortly thereafter. A couple of the forums I checked made it sound like almost all of the 2013's used oil and some had head gasket issues as well.  Other than the shift points being off on the 2013 we have never had any trouble with the CVT.  My son had a 2010 and drove it to 150k without any issue either. Maybe we were just lucky.

AM

garyRI

Put over 200k miles on a 2000 automatic transmission Forester with no transmission problems