2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Dave Erickson

Vet charging for writing prescription

Dave Erickson

Last summer I wanted to try a flea & tick  preventative (Bravecto) that my vet didn't offer, so I went through an online vendor. They of course contacted my vet  for the prescription and I received a bill in the mail from my vet for $15.00. I was a little surprised, but I paid it and let it go. Now this year I ordered some Heartgard Plus online and I just got a bill from my vet for $25.00.  Hmmm, I guess he's sending me a message. It's a 52 mile round trip to my vet, so the online meds are convenient. I'm trying to not be reactive, and I like my vet, so is this the new norm?

bennelli-banger

no offense, but with some vets, nothing surprises me.  Again, only with some vets.  Next week I am driving 400 miles to meet my hunting buddy from Mpls, who is driving about 300 miles himself, to take our dogs to the local vet in SD where we hunt...they are reasonable as hell...and nice...we each have 3 dogs...

gunut

our vet retired a couple years ago.....was going to his clinic for 40yrs....he could not find another vet to buy his business so sold out to some corporate conglomeration...still some good vets there but......you cant fart there now without getting a bill.....

charlo slim
10 hours ago, gunut said:

you cant fart there now without getting a bill...

seems appropriate

Crazy Horse

The Veterinarian provided a service. He deserves compensation. It is obviously a prescription item requiring a doctors approval for dispensing. Had the item not been suitable or a danger to your dog I'm sure the Vet would have denied the order and possibly notified you as to why he denied it. Seems fair to me. I don't know anyone who works for free.

bennelli-banger
19 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

The Veterinarian provided a service. He deserves compensation. It is obviously a prescription item requiring a doctors approval for dispensing. Had the item not been suitable or a danger to your dog I'm sure the Vet would have denied the order and possibly notified you as to why he denied it. Seems fair to me. I don't know anyone who works for free.

I am in the service business...I give away my time and certain types of transactions regularly, depending the "big picture" with that customer...it all depends.  I have been quite taken aback by what I have been charged for by a variety of vets, doctors, auto mechanic's, etc over the years...amazing.  Conversely, the vets that I now use, as with my auto mechanic, amaze me regularly with how caring they are and how fair they are...I try to behave that way as well in my business... 

Brad Eden

Please tread carefully. Vets get the crap kicked out of them on "Boards" and this one is no exception. They are not above reproach, but we are very fortunate to have some vets who frequent this Board and offer earnest and professional advice ,and even reach out off Board to Members (including me on several occasions). I'm not managing or dealing with the obligatory beat vets about the head Topic. Otherwise please discuss with respect and discretion. Thank you.

NCgrouse

$25 to avoid a 52 mile trip? Seems alright to me. 

Possible that there are fees that they are covering for belonging to one of the online pharmacy groups. Kind of like a prescription fill charge but without the cost of the medicine (which is what you pay to the online pharmacy). Could always call and ask what its about?

Wyobirds

Vets have mostly treated me and my dogs well.

Many years ago, my first dog got sick and I went to the vet.  He couldn't find anything wrong and did some X-rays.  The dog had swallowed a rock and the vet removed said rock via surgery.  I was 16 and earned my money cutting lawns and the vet told me "Merry Christmas, no charge."

My current vet cried when she had to put down my old cancer ridden Lab.

I've had two horses that had to be put down and my vet didn't charge me, nor did the back hoe operator that buried the horses.

While traveling in California, our aging brit got sick and when it was all over she died and we received a bill for over $2500.

gaberdeen

I have nothing but good things to say about my vet. I switched to their service because my local vet was charging way too much in my opinion.

Kansas Bound

My observation is the Vet industry is changing dramatically.  Older Vets didn't have the schooling costs that new vets are having.  For example I had to take a dog in for porcupine quill removal and antibiotics.  The bill was $78.  A new vet out of school could not pay off their student loans charging that amount.

I think the vet practice is going the way of human care. 

WI Outdoor Nut

I look at a vet no different than a mechanic, doctor or anyone else providing "services".  You and the said service provider need to have a relationship that works for you.  For example, my mechanic is my go to guy for just about everything related to issues - he get's the "call".  I travel a lot for work and my wife had a flat tire on the car.  I made a quick call to my mechanic, stating I was out of town and let him know about the tire.  He said bring it over.  Called the wife, told her put enough air in it to go the 3 miles to the mechanic.  She arrived, he patched it, no charge.  He could have charged the normal $50 or what ever it is to fix, I would have STILL thanked him.  It is the relationship I have with him that he knew simply taking care of my wife in this situation means more than anything else. 

If you are not happy with the nickel and diming of your vet (which I certainly hear what you are saying) maybe you need to find someone who will better match what you are looking for.  I am not sure what my vet would do in the situation you described, but I really like my vet and the current relationship we have.  He does take my calls without charge and that is good enough for me. 

oak stob

I’ve had more issues with those who work in a vet office than, the Vets....left two as a result.

Behind the counter folks can be both dogmatic, overly impressed with their imagined knowledge and protective.

Too much so, in some cases.

However, never having had to deal with the Public, on most any level besides walking through WalMart, I could imagine pluses for the Practice in that attitude.

The prescription charge is likely on a list for services provided, with the request triggering the response at the desk level and, I suspect that the bottom line for a Vet is the same as for other occupations.

So, that charge or the like may be the norm, new or not.

Services rankle, one moves on.

I  suspect there can be some latitude built up over time as to charges tho.

My old vet never charged for sending a dog to a final home.....it is a shame that Vets are susceptible to succession the same as a grouse covert.

Comfort and trust can take a spell to develop.

bennelli-banger

my vet in Ely, Mn (Chip Hanson) is awesome beyond belief...he is not in the least bit shy about criticizing many younger vets about their revenue-generating zeal...whatever...to me, it comes down to "pay me now, or pay me later"...several vets that I used to deal with won't have the chance to have me pay them later...for all I know, they may have  been thrilled that I walked...

neither of the two vets that I use (the other being Bobbi Fridley, in South Dakota) have ever charged me the ubiquitous "office visit" charge of $10 or $20...not saying I wouldn't pay it, they just don't assess it.  Frankly, every time I see Chip up in Ely, I end up going to a cafe in Ely in getting a gift certificate for MORE than the bill I just paid, and I deliver it back to his front desk and thank them again for caring about my dogs, and they usually have an office lunch catered in......I can't believe how good they are.  I drive 2 hours one way to get there.  

I don't doubt that the economics of certain clinics are different...some are big, and new, and cost a lot of $ to build...yes, they have to pay for all that through their billing...if you want a big, shiny, high-tech clinic, and you are okay paying for said clinic, go to one of those..this doesn't need to be a "walk on eggshells" topic...just straightforward stuff...my profession has been bashed on this board 100's of times...I have spent tens of hours, probably a lot more,  giving advice, both publicly and privately, to members here...most of the time, when doing it publicly, I end up getting slammed somehow by other "experts" that frequent this place...who cares, I really don't give a puck anymore about too much...have a good day.

bennelli-banger
11 hours ago, Dave Erickson said:

Last summer I wanted to try a flea & tick  preventative (Bravecto) that my vet didn't offer, so I went through an online vendor. They of course contacted my vet  for the prescription and I received a bill in the mail from my vet for $15.00. I was a little surprised, but I paid it and let it go. Now this year I ordered some Heartgard Plus online and I just got a bill from my vet for $25.00.  Hmmm, I guess he's sending me a message. It's a 52 mile round trip to my vet, so the online meds are convenient. I'm trying to not be reactive, and I like my vet, so is this the new norm?

one thing I will say about my vets that  I use:  they are REALLY competitive on those type of products, and I buy them from my vets...partially, too, since they are so goddanged good to deal with overall...