FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Virgil Kane

Injured dog hammock/sling for the solo hunter ?

Virgil Kane

Wondering if anybody knows of a company that might make a lightweight hammock or sling that is capable of carrying and injured dog out of the woods?  I have a habit of getting several miles away from my vehicle and last year my dog stumbled and fell flat on his face making a retrieve .  Low blood sugar was the cause but it got me to thinking what I would do if I had to carry him out if he sustained a serious injury.  I always hunt alone so getting the dog out of the woods could be problematic.  I could always ditch my shotgun and mark it with a GPS but still would have to carry a 60+ dog out on my shoulders for miles or modify my game pouch and try to squeeze him in. Is there anything on the market for such emergencies for the solo hunter?  

Virgil

MUSTANGER7

I have carried a sheet torn to a length that allowed it to be put under the dogs body (legs hung out on each side) tied into a knot so that I could slip it over my shoulder. Since its strong yet light weight it fit inside my game pack without taking up a lot of space. You can adjust the size to however you want. Used it once in the mountains of Colorado.

MNice

I believe there was a recent thread (within the last year) on the subject. I've thought about the situation too and if presented, I would utilize a shirt, t-shirt, or wear my strap vest backwards to provide a secure carrying mechanism. Probably a combination of both but my hound is only 47 lbs.

DDgrouser

Here is a link to the one I found online.  Seems pretty well made.

https://www.fidoprotection.com/ 

Brad Eden

Heres an earlier Topic on dog slings with some Links/info etc.

MNice

Here's another...

Virgil Kane

Sorry, I should have done a search first.

Thanks for the links.

Virgil

Brad Eden
1 minute ago, Virgil Kane said:

Sorry, I should have done a search first.

Thanks for the links.

Virgil

It's OK...It's  my job...what else would I do....

Virgil Kane

Play guitar and sing with Shelly West ? 

Brad Eden
3 minutes ago, Virgil Kane said:

Play guitar and sing with Shelly West ? 

Cant play a musical instrument nor sing. But I can create nebulous UJ Polls.

Lars
2 hours ago, MUSTANGER7 said:

I have carried a sheet torn to a length that allowed it to be put under the dogs body (legs hung out on each side) tied into a knot so that I could slip it over my shoulder. Since its strong yet light weight it fit inside my game pack without taking up a lot of space. You can adjust the size to however you want. Used it once in the mountains of Colorado.

This sounds like a good idea and made easily enough.  I once carried a 60 lb  Lab back to my truck wrapped around my neck I couldn't do that again.  And a couple smaller Setters just in my arms. 

airmedic1

I put my 40 pound German shorthair in the game bag of my hunting vest and carried her out of the field about 3/4 mile when she stepped in a trap and broke her leg.  It was tough and my back was killing me when I got out.  If I was out five or six miles I don't think I would have been able to get her out.

NECarson

Mine are trained to let me carry them over my shoulders... So I can carry them out, if necessary.

I've wondered how well it would actually work. 

salmontogue

My French Brit, Belle, loves to be carried, especially with her legs upward.  Here she is in pickup position.  She will remain in this position for a very long time provided there are periodic tummy rubs.  My Godzilla-sized (75#) English Setter, Mr. Big, is too heavy to carry any distance although he loves being picked up.

Perk

IMG_6330.JPG

Brad Eden

I have carried two dogs out of the woods. Jake who was 7-8 months old and was still huge, and probably over 60 pounds. He got stung by a swarm of bees way in on Paper Company land. Blew up like a ballon and was staggering and having trouble breathing when we started back to truck. Carried him for over a mile, stopping to rest. JoAnn was with me so carried the guns etc.

And Cash, also around 7-8 months old, after he got quilled. Didn't look bad when I got to him, just a few on muzzle, none in mouth. After I lplled them he took a few steps, whined and wouldn't budge. I felt around and found a cluster of small quills fully embedded in his chest under the skin, right on the bone of a front shoulder. Luckily that carry was probably 1/4 mile. I slipped my shotgun sideways in my vest game bag.