FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Jakeismydog2

Live stream of Bears catching Salmon

Jakeismydog2

We have been watching this in the background at work lately. I think it is really cool. It is a live video feed of Brooks Falls in Katmai National Park of Bears catching salmon. These guys devour a ton of fish. its crazy. Currently there are a few guys fishing down the stream a bit. you can see them when they move the camera around. 

How many of you would fish that close to all those bears?

WPG Gizmo

Been watching that for a couple of years now the bears are not really as close as it looks due to the cameras but I have seen where the guys fishing move off the water if one comes up the stream.

Dick Sellers

This was basically in my back yard (by Alaska standards) for 22 years.  The humans are on elevated platforms now, but for many years people were on the ground with no barriers between them and the bears, like what is still the case at McNeil River State Game Sanctuary.  Somewhere on this forum I've posted some photos from McNeil.  You don't want to encourage me; I've got something like 15,000 bear pictures.

upstate

Used guide trips there. We would fish up towards the falls and go around them to fish the river above it. Lots of close encounters with bears. I’m just glad salmon tastes better than homo sapian. Always had to keep an eye out when on the trails plus make plenty of noise so a bear could hear you coming. HEY BEAR!!! 

Big Al

I don't like sharing space with bears.  They're bigger than me.

watermen

Just got back  Monday, water is crazy high this year.  Fishing below the falls was a little disappointing early around the opener.  Concentrated on kings and the Naknek the last few days I was there.  They built a new building for Katmai air that is very upscale for king salmon.  They are putting money in the place again and the lodges are generally full with lots of foreign tourism for the bears.   They even remodeled the Kinkco and renamed it the Sockeye saloon, put gas pumps out front even.  Place is hoppin!  Glad there is no road.

Dick Sellers

I use to live in a trailer across the street from the KingKo (it was a little kinky).  How's Eddie's doing?  By the way, I still have a 5 acre lot (with well and electric) and river frontage on the Naknek R. half way between King Salmon and Naknek.   Any reasonable offer will be considered.

dogrunner

All I see is a bear scratching itself wondering where the heck are the fish. 

watermen
22 hours ago, Dick Sellers said:

I use to live in a trailer across the street from the KingKo (it was a little kinky).  How's Eddie's doing?  By the way, I still have a 5 acre lot (with well and electric) and river frontage on the Naknek R. half way between King Salmon and Naknek.   Any reasonable offer will be considered.

Big Mike owns Eddies now for the last ten years or so they run together, Still  eat several  pokers a summer. I don't think he is open in the winter.  They are repaving runway at night and the base is being revamped a little.  Branch River broke up and sold.  After 29 years it's still very similar,  saw a sow with quadruplets this summer.  Been a lot of fish lately the bears are fat and happy and breeding like crazy.  30 inch bows are still in the river but harder to come by.  First year in a while that I have not seen for sale signs in the entry ways to the DnD and grocery store.   Ptarmigan are particularly scarce in egegik by reports.  I don't think I would like the winters anymore.

Dick Sellers

Thanks for the update.  Last time I was up there was spring of 2008 when I went up with Harley Jackson of American Gun Dog to film a ptarmigan hunt down at Sandy River, and we only passed through King Salmon on our way out the Peninsula.  Sounds like some changes and some of the same.  I gather that Penn Air has gone through some major changes - expansion into lower 48 (essential air service contracts?) and recent contraction.  Doubt I'll ever get back there, but there sure were some good times on the Naknek R.

watermen

Orin's boy has it, they fly commuter runs in the winter on the east coast I guess.  They no longer put on the party in the hanger for fishtival, kinda killed the whole weekend if you ask me.  I'm not usually done till after fishtival half of the years.  The crazy long lines and and antics the last week of July have not changed much.  They are sticklers now on your baggage fees.

watermen

Almost fun to watch in a Darwin award contest.

TimJ

Wow! That dude is stoo-pid! I thought the guys in Custer State Park and Yellowstone who walk up to Bison were dumb but I think this guy takes the prize for the dumbest man in the world.

Tim

UplandHntr

Wow

SelbyLowndes

Bears don't do that in the South.  Gators would eat THEM...SelbyLowndes