2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
gunsrus

Oregon CS 300 40 volt battery chainsaw

gunsrus

In the Catskills Polecat had a nice little battery chainsaw . He has everything in his truck . He and Field Grade cut up some camp fire wood pretty quick , no gas , no mess . 

Now , I've got a Husky 562XP for big stuff and an Echo CS 341 for small stuff but I hate packing gas and mess back and forth from Ma to Me with that smell in the Tahoe with the dogs in there . 

I told my daughter we needed this and at 12 lbs even she could handle it . She bought it on Amazon and will arrive next week .

16" bar and a battery that has 400 cuts in it that will last dormant at least a couple months . 

I also liked the self sharpening part , just press a button and it sharpens well it runs . 

I'll review it the next few weeks .

gunsrus

It gets great reviews . The "stump" said you're not a man with a battery operated chain saw . Just another Alaskan spouting off !

Don Steese
1 hour ago, gunsrus said:

The "stump" said you're not a man with a battery operated chain saw . 

I know an old sound effects guy from my radio days. He could, using only his God given mouth, make about any sound imaginable. I could see if he'd hire out to hide behind a nearby tree and make gas chain saw sounds so you're not embarrassed in front of your macho buddies!! 😁 

Marc Ret
16 hours ago, gunsrus said:

It gets great reviews . The "stump" said you're not a man with a battery operated chain saw . Just another Alaskan spouting off !

You've got nothing to prove buddy. Besides, isn't that "stump" fella the one you told me had a queer affinity for farm animals? Who's gonna listen to a guy like that. 

oak stob

How many comparable cuts can be made by a real chain saw with a full tank of fuel?

gunsrus
43 minutes ago, oak stob said:

How many comparable cuts can be made by a real chain saw with a full tank of fuel?

I'm sure many more . 

I use a chainsaw , even for the smallest job , it may be six months before I use it again . I drain most of the gas put a little marine stabile in it and run it dry . Pain in the arse for small stuff . This battery should cover my needs .

ScottGrush

I was impressed with the makita battery powered saw I watched in use during a remote boardwalk build a few weeks ago. 

I think they would be great for those one to two camping trips where you need to cut some camp wood for fires. No mess, no smell. 

Brad Eden
15 hours ago, gunsrus said:

..but I hate packing gas and mess back and forth from Ma to Me with that smell in the Tahoe with the dogs in there . 

Pick up truck, cough....cough....

I like the idea of a battery operated chainsaw for quick stuff too. These battery operated tools have come a long ways. I love my Makita set and could see investing in a chainsaw. But where I live I'll always need a decent gas/oil chainsaw as well.

Dogwood

Do you guys sharpen the chains yourself or no?

RDG

I have a 40V black and decker chainsaw and love it.  

For little stuff , it’s can’t be beat.  

I also have the weedwacker, the leaf blower and the hedge trimmer that use the same battery. 

My gas powered stuff never gets used anymore. 

Skybuster
27 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

Do you guys sharpen the chains yourself or no?

I do, with my Dremel tool. Been doing it for years on my gas chainsaws. I also have an electric for work around my yard here in the 'burbs.

pa'tridge hunters

Did you ever consider just buying another gas tank for the place in Maine Al? 

Don Steese
On 7/21/2018 at 7:25 AM, Brad Eden said:

Pick up truck, cough....cough....

I like the idea of a battery operated chainsaw for quick stuff too. These battery operated tools have come a long ways. I love my Makita set and could see investing in a chainsaw. But where I live I'll always need a decent gas/oil chainsaw as well.

My soon to be SIL is the head tech at a big Dodge/Jeep dealership and says the battery powered stuff  they're using nowadays has as much or more power than the air driven stuff and it's so much handier! 

tut

My sister has one and used it for repairing wooden fences at her stable.  For cutting a 1 by 6 (which is 90 percent of what she does) they are perfect.   The other thing is they are so quiet the horses pay no attention.  That said, I have a Stihl 14" gas powered chain saw and my neighbor has a battery powered saw.  If he has anything over about 4" in diameter he knock on my door and asks for help.   PS.  Battery powered fans for dog kennels are all the rage now.  Those Litium Ion batteries are the real deal. 

Mike Connally

Those Litium Ion batteries are the real deal. “

Until they turn into a fireball.