FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Dogwood

Chipper Shredder suggestions ?

Dogwood

Handle branches up to say 2" diameter.  Portable on wheels.  

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, Dogwood said:

Handle branches up to say 2" diameter.  Portable on wheels.  

IMG_0607.PNG

Portable on wheels. Just needs the chipper attachment. Should only run you about $15k

WPG Gizmo

Most folks do not need a chipper shredder long term so your best bet is to rent one from a local rental place barring that go Troybilt

https://www.troybilt.com/equipment/troybilt/cs-4325-chipper-shredder  if you need a 2 inch go bigger it will work better and most small diameter chippers do not handle wet wood well 

rich223

I have a DR chipper it will handle material larger than 2 inch. But does not have a shredder mine is 20 years old and it is still working. The newer models come with shredders but if your only using it once in a while like some said before your better off renting.

Dogwood
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

IMG_0607.PNG

Portable on wheels. Just needs the chipper attachment. Should only run you about $15k

Hey smarty pants I got me one of them for snow blowing.  Didn't know they made chipper attachments.  23 hp diesel; should have enough kick. Dang.

steveziv

I was getting ready to buy from Chippers Direct when I came across a DEK 15hp model on craigslist for cheap.  I does a great job when its running.  Had to pay to replace the clutch, now its out there with a suspected carburetor issue.

Yukon1

This past Spring I picked a chipper/shredder from DR Equipment. I got the the 9.5 hp, it was easy to assemble and starts easy.  I found it easy to use, no steep learning curve, just learn how to feed it.  I like the larger size chute that the branches get fed into over some of the other brands I looked at. I was also pleasantly surprised at how powerful this unit was.  Jams are easy to clear and have been infrequent for me. When they happen it's usually from feeding too many small green leafy ends into the shredder end of it. No big deal to sort out though.  So far I've been very pleased. 

Dogwood
14 hours ago, Yukon1 said:

This past Spring I picked a chipper/shredder from DR Equipment. I got the the 9.5 hp, it was easy to assemble and starts easy.  I found it easy to use, no steep learning curve, just learn how to feed it.  I like the larger size chute that the branches get fed into over some of the other brands I looked at. I was also pleasantly surprised at how powerful this unit was.  Jams are easy to clear and have been infrequent for me. When they happen it's usually from feeding too many small green leafy ends into the shredder end of it. No big deal to sort out though.  So far I've been very pleased. 

Checked their website: No dealers?  And what about repairs/service?

Dogwood
15 hours ago, WPG Gizmo said:

Most folks do not need a chipper shredder long term so your best bet is to rent one from a local rental place barring that go Troybilt

https://www.troybilt.com/equipment/troybilt/cs-4325-chipper-shredder  if you need a 2 inch go bigger it will work better and most small diameter chippers do not handle wet wood well 

Local rental joint rents $150 for 4 hours.  Could make a big pile then rent 1-2 times/year I guess. 

Yukon1

I ordered mine directly from them. However, on their website go to the "Support" tab, then scroll to "product support" then "sales and service" locator to find a dealer near you.

Brad Eden

I've done a fair share of chipping here with a landscaper friend and his big commercial pull behind chipper. Key is to chip when the limbs and such are still green. Chippers hate fully dry stuff, especially dried out Pine. 

WPG Gizmo

We use Chippers at work all the time granted they are very large machines towed behind a dump truck but the principal is the same.  We will go out and cut brush then stack it in piles along side the road that way when we get the chipper it is easy to drive, stop, chip and move on to the next pile just remember to lay all your branches in the same direction so your not fighting them when you pull it off the pile.

The local place is likely renting a large chipper for that price that will take stuff up to 10 inches or so.

Yukon1

I chipped a bunch of dry stuff and Brad is right. The green stuff is easier. My chipper handles the dry stuff well but it dulls the knives quicker. 

Instructions say to mix green material in with the dry and that works well. Best to chip as you go though and avoid the dry stuff altogether.

The shredder part of the unit is the opposite for me. The small green leafy stuff is what caused the couple of jams I had. I do better if I let them sit and shred them later. 

Moomps

I bought a used DR chipper for $200 on Craigslist.  It's a few years old but it works very well and has a 15 hp engine that really chews thru the branches and logs at least 2 or more inches.  Check out the used market, but make sure and try it first.

Dave Medema

I rent the big chipper 1-2x per year.  It can handle 9" and churns thru big piles quickly.  I used it last week for 6 hours as I'm clearing a lot.  3 weeks worth of chainsaws and nippers = lots to do.  Man, that thing is hot and noisy but chops like a champ.