FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
cf1193

Frequency of ear infections?

cf1193

I’m sure this topic has been beaten to death, but how often do your dogs get ear infections? Since Maggie is my first bird dog, I’m trying to get an idea as to what is considered “normal” for the average bird dog running around in dry cover.

Summer seems to be the worst, even to the point of keeping her out of just about any kind of cover from early June through about mid August. She inevitably gets something lodged in her ear deep enough that I can’t see it, and a few days later an infection forms.

But even in the off season, an infection will just randomly appear. What are some ways to treat/minimize the frequency of ear infections?

I think we have averaged about 3 or 4 a year.

Remo

Old Sam was prone to EI in his later years but there was no obstruction causing it. I switched food to NutriSource Lamb and Rice and it quit. My current dogs are on Pro Plan and no trouble. With no scientific basis I think some dog EI, anal gland problems, and allergies are aggravated by diet. 2 cents worth.

Urban_Redneck

It can be diet.

I treat my big eared pup to an ear wash/flush every week, it help a lot.

terrym

My vet told me a healthy dog does not need any ear maintenance. I also have to say, my dogs have never had ear issues.