REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
blanked

Are you loyal to a car manufacture

blanked

I am surprised at all the loyal ford owners here.  When it comes to American vehicles I have had good and bad with all manufactures so I can’t be loyal to just one.  

Don Steese
2 minutes ago, blanked said:

I am surprised at all the loyal ford owners here.  When it comes to American vehicles I have had good and bad with all manufactures so I can’t be loyal to just one.  

Exactly!!

Don fischer

I've never considered myself loyal to one make but looking back, I've had one Dodge, three Oldsmobile's, two Jeeps and everything else has been a Ford. Recently got a new to me car, 2004 Ford! Also have a 1983 Ford Super 250 PU and a 1990 Full size Bronco. Ford may have shot themselves in the foot though. Got my new car and wanted the push button lock on the driver's door to work. Had to go to Ford and they wanted $50 to set it for me. Huh, think I'll just get another key, only came with one key! Again had to go to Ford dealer for a key. They wanted $30 for the key and $115 to set it with a computer! $145? it's a key!!!! Well didn't get it either. If I actually ever look at another car again I think I'll look at a Chevy. Shoot for the price of a key I might be able to get a pretty good buy on a Chevy!

BlacknTan

Three and a half years ago I bought a Toyota 4Runner.. my first Toyota. The quality is so superior to the big three, that I never see myself going back...

In that 3 1/2 years, nothing, and I mean not the slightest thing has gone wrong with it. If all the windows are closed, and I forget to close the door hard enough, it doesn't close completely. A very impressive vehicle!

Curt

I'm not loyal to any car manufacturer really but my niece and her husband own a Ford dealership so I do often buy from their place.  Can't have uncle Curt showing up at family get togethers driving the competition's vehicle can we?  Besides I drive a heavy duty diesel truck and Ford makes a really good one.

salmontogue

For me, a grading system would work best to cover the various makes over the years.  It breaks down as follows.

GM cars and trucks....Poor

Mercedes-Benz cars....Poor

Toyota cars....Excellent

Toyota trucks....Fair

Jeeps...Terrible

BMW cars....Good plus

Ford cars (Lincoln).... Excellent

Ford trucks....Excellent

Dodge trucks....Excellent

Subaru cars....Excellent

I am in the process of buying a three-quarter or one ton truck and am looking at Ford and Dodge.  The DEF injection systems on diesel trucks may be deleted by the EPA.  If not, I will go with gas.

If I was buying an SUV....Full size would be Lincoln, Mid size Lincoln or Ford, Small size Ford or Subaru

If I was buying a car, I would consider Subaru, Honda and Toyota

Perk

oak stob

No, no brand loyalty whatsoever....or made-in-america loyalty either.

I do purchase what my recent history indicates will serve the purpose, with the least negative issues....car, service or dealership.

Lately, that has been centered around Tacomas.

mccuha

We have had  one Toyota truck, and currently a highlander.  I have owned 1 Nissan the rest of our vehicles have been Chevy. I have over the last years of buying a vehicle for myself went for the best I could get for the money. It always ended up being a Chevy. I have always had good luck with them except the one before my current.  It was a lemon and constantly had problems.  The dealer did make it right and gave me a super deal on my current truck. (Doesn’t hurt that he and I are friends and my in law buys all his company work trucks from). I did tell him that if I had the problems I had with the last I would try another brand. I am considering a Toyota next but the only thing with them is they don’t really knock a lot off of sticker price and the gas mileage is not that great.  

Kemo Sabe

I’ve been extremely loyal to the same Chevy dealer since 1983. He treats me really well, and even comes and picks up my vehicles up when they need service. I have never had any problems with any of them, but that might be because I stay on top of the service since it’s so easy. Currently have a 2016 Tahoe and 2017  High Country pickup. My wife and I love Chevy products.

For my wife’s car, we have been very loyal to the same BMW dealer for years. When her 640i convertible started giving us some problems after 11 years, she wanted  a Tesla. I didn’t want that car at all, but because she wanted it so much, I went along with it.

The BMW dealer also owns a Porsche dealership, and is a long time friend. For my birthday, my wife went out and got me a brand new Boxster 718 S from him.  Wow,  talk about fun!

I like dealing with the same dealer for my cars. It just makes things so much easier all the way around, at least for me.

Brad Eden

Yes.

max2

Chevrolet for trucks Have had one great ford though - one and a half if you count the Expedition

Harley Davidson for Motorcycles

BMW for luxury cars a nice 700 series

For commuter Toyota Taccoma  (Awesome good !)

WI Outdoor Nut

For cars, have had my best like with Honda and Toyota's.  Trucks - still trying to figure that out.  Ran chevy's for years, but their front hub design is terrible and expensive to fix.  Current truck is a ford and at 6 years is rusting out.  They have now moved to an AL body, so that might fix that issue, but still frustrating.  Really like the eco motor, so that might have me go back that route. 

I travel about 25 weeks out of the year and rent a vehicle where ever I go.  This gives me an opportunity to drive a number of manufactures and models.  While this certainly does not replace the experience of owning a vehicle for years, you do get a feeling of initial quality.  But some OEM's are not rentals in general, such as Subaru's.  The vehicles that I have been impressed with: Nissan Titan, Chevy Impala, Toyota Avalon, Toyota camry, VW Passat, Dodge Charger.  The vehicles I have not been impressed with:  Any Mazda, Jeep Grand Cherokee (was a nice vehicle but the controls were terrible - could not keep my cell phone connected), Jeep Patriot, any Kia (cars and SUV's). 

topdog1961

Not really to a manufacturer, but commuting at least 125 miles round trip per work day, living in a rural area, and having two driving teens, my family probably puts 70,000 miles a year on vehicles. Long term dependability is critical. I'd like to say I buy all American but over the years results speak for themselves, and with the exception of my 98 F-150, now own all Asian vehicles. I've had good luck with all of them but lean toward Hyundai because they are as good as Japanese vehicles but not everyone knows that, so their resale (I buy used) is lower. But currently I don't own a Hyundai for the first time in 10 years due to unexpectedly good deals I found on Toyota Corollas and the Mazda 3 I recently acquired as a new work car. It's a 2013 with only 67k so I hope I never buy another work car. 

Currently in my stable are an 06 Corolla S (daughter), 09 Scion XB (son), 06 Sienna van (wife), 13 Mazda 3 (me), 98 F-150 (tow boat and business trailer, hunting), 10 Miata (you only live once), and 03 Kawasaki Concours motorcycle (maybe once a year weekend trip with buddies). My insurance man never fails to send me a birthday card. 

jeff88

The make I've most frequently bought is Acura, 4 of them.  Two for me, one each for my son and daughter though they contributed to paying at least half.  None of them were new.  I view Acura to be a good choice if you want reliability mixed with either fun or luxury or both.  Have also bought two Ford SUvs, both new.  Both were outstanding as family rides as well as off-roaders.    

ccavacini

Two Tacomas, one 4runner, two Highlanders.   Can't see myself buying anything but Toyotas.