FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
BlacknTan

Water Additives for dogs

BlacknTan

I've always used plain water, or added a bit of Karo syrup if we'll be out for a while. That said, I see a lot of canine water additives... I guess like Gatorade for dogs. Maltodextrine is the energy source, but there seem to be other ingredients also. It's been very hot and humid here of late, so we get out quite early. I bring lots of water for the dog, but none for myself... I can only pack so much.. My clothes are drenched in sweat when we're done, and I feel depleted for the rest of the day. Ivy runs in the river in a few spots and cools down, thankfully..

But, since we all want to give our pups every advantage, do these supplements added to regular water help? Is there anyone that uses them? If so, what brands and what are your thoughts?

406dn

My thoughts are that since a dog cannot sweat, it is not nearly as likely to lose its electrolyte balance when compared to you or I. Out west our humidity is much less than what you have to deal with. Or course you have a far better chance of having access to surface water.

With our fairly low humidity, the evaporative cooling is very pronounced. If I can keep the dog's hair wet, they stay remarkably cool. I suspect in your case, the river is the more effective cooling process for your dog.

So I use plain water,, chilled if I'm ahead of the curve.

Herve

This kind of products is not yet arrived in Europe! I have never heard that dogs need that, even in the early season in mountains with hot wheather... As 406dn said, dogs don't loose minerals like us.

grouse28

Herve: You Europeans seem to be much more practical and not swayed by the spell of the Madison Avenue marketing hype as we Colonials!

ryanr

Used within 30 minutes after a hard day hunting or even training I've had good success with a product called Glycocharge.

grouse28
3 hours ago, ryanr said:

Used within 30 minutes after a hard day hunting or even training I've had good success with a product called Glycocharge.

Not to be argumentative but what on what scale does  “good success” reside? Used within 30 minutes?  Right from the marketing.

Have you given glycocharge to one dog and not another? Is the “charged” dog ready for another hunt and the uncharged dog napping away?  I have used Glycocharge myself and “meh”. Maybe 12 to 15 miles on the dog does not warrant glycocharge.

I have read their claims but never saw the actual studies and tests. Maybe on the other hand I am wrong.

ryanr

Scale, LOL? I just thought it worked well for my dog, particularly on a week long Maine grouse hunt where everybody else was rotating their multiple dogs to rest them and I only had 1 dog so I hunted him all day, every day. My dog was rarin' to go each morning just like it was the first morning. Nothing more scientific for me than that, sorry.

It's to be used within 30 minutes for optimal results, it's the same principal an athlete uses to replenish after a strenuous workout. You don't wait a couple hours. Now I had already used Glycocharge before but I went to a cover dog trial once and one of the little things I noted was that Dave Hughes seemed to think Glycocharge worked as I heard him make a point to tell his helper to make sure to Glycocharge each dog immediately after it was done running its brace. I don't use it all the time but I have when I'm going to be running the dog hard for multiple days.

Ray Gubernat
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, grouse28 said:

Not to be argumentative but what on what scale does  “good success” reside? Used within 30 minutes?  Right from the marketing.

Have you given glycocharge to one dog and not another? Is the “charged” dog ready for another hunt and the uncharged dog napping away?  I have used Glycocharge myself and “meh”. Maybe 12 to 15 miles on the dog does not warrant glycocharge.

I have read their claims but never saw the actual studies and tests. Maybe on the other hand I am wrong.

FWIW -

I attended a seminar,  a number of years ago, where maltodextrin was discussed.  The speaker claimed to be the author of a published study, done on sled dogs, to assess the effects of incremental exercise on heat tolerance and the role which maltodextrin plays in replenishing the glycogen levels in dogs.  Glycogen is apparently the blood component that carries energy to the body...or something like that.  It was a looooong time ago.

As I recall, giving a dog maltodextrin within 30 minutes of the cessation of exercise will allow the dog's glycogen levels to rebound, in a couple of hours to 65% of their pre-exercise levels and  by the next morning,  to approximately 90% of what they were prior to exercise.  Withjout the maltodextrin, the dog's glycogen  levels were low and remained low, even though to the next morning(I seem to remember something in the 50 or 60& range the following morning.

I actually found the heat tolerance portion of the seminar to be more useful and enlightening to me.  The author gradually increased the exercise level, in heat conditions and found that gradual, incremental increases in the length of the strenuous exercise did in fact increase the dog's ability to operate at a high level for ever increasing lengths of time. 

The part that was VERY sobering, for me,  was the fact that when a dog that had developed an extraordinary level of heat tolerance  was "pushed over the edge" and experienced heat exhaustion, its heat tolerance went to near zero and would not recover.  The dog was permanently damaged in the heat tolerance area.

As someone who pushes their dogs to perform in the heat, I took that lesson to heart and while I continue to push the dogs to increase their heat tolerance...I learned the signs and symptoms of heat stress and  watch them like a hawk. 

RayG

PS -

It was my understanding that giving  maltodextrin DURING  exerecise gave no measurable benefit.  I know several folks who give it to their dogs during a trial heat, and swear by it,  but I suspect the liver flavoring in Glycocharge entices the dog to drink when it might not otherwise and  thus improve performance.

Edited by Ray Gubernat

Flairball

Some years ago I noticed that Ginger didn’t do well in the summer. Training sessions were often a disaster unless they were water work. She had the enthusiasm, but lost her nose, and tired quickly. I started giving her Elements H 2 hours before training, and she definiately improved. It may have just been because it was mixed in a big bowl of water and shed drink the entire thing, retaining lots of fluid, but I saw improvement. 

grouse28

RayG and RyanR,  I stand corrected.

Thanks for the additional info Ray.

406dn
1 hour ago, Ray Gubernat said:

I actually found the heat tolerance portion of the seminar to be more useful and enlightening to me.  The author gradually increased the exercise level, in heat conditions and found that gradual, incremental increases in the length of the strenuous exercise did in fact increase the dog's ability to operate at a high level for ever increasing lengths of time. 

The part that was VERY sobering, for me,  was the fact that when a dog that had developed an extraordinary level of heat tolerance  was "pushed over the edge" and experienced heat exhaustion, its heat tolerance went to near zero and would not recover.  The dog was permanently damaged in the heat tolerance area.

As someone who pushes their dogs to perform in the heat, I took that lesson to heart and while I continue to push the dogs to increase their heat tolerance...I learned the signs and symptoms of heat stress and  watch them like a hawk. 

RayG

I have been aware of a dog losing its tolerance to heat if it experiences a bout of heat exhaustion, the report of being able to increase their tolerance to heat is news to me. I doubt I'll change my training in an effort to build on their heat tolerance.

I try do all of my summer conditioning in the cool of the morning. Like this morning when I got up at 4. My strategy has been to get them as physically conditioned as possible in the cool of the day, and then deal with the luck of the draw as it comes. My dogs have drawn their share of braces in the heat of the day. So far I have not had one get into trouble with the heat,,,but it is always on my mind. If I ever have a dog that is gone for several minutes and I know it is due to be watered,,,, I will ask for the tracker, to live and fight another day.

A dog will literally hunt itself to death, I've seen it. I hope never to see it again.