REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Dogwood

Show us your boat!

fishvik

My yacht.

DSC03272.JPG

smalliesonthefly

It gets me up and down the river, no matter what the flow is... 

100_1058.JPG

Millriver
On 7/27/2018 at 8:50 PM, Recoil Rob said:

A 1992 Sturdee Boat of Rhode Island, Amesbury Dory 16. I have had this since 1995 and do a lot of fishing around the Norwalk Island in LI Sound. It's great inside the islands when the wind is under 10mph and seas are 1' or less. In years past I didn't mind the pounding but now I don't go out unless it's calm so I'm looking for something bigger to cut through the chop and spend more time on the water. I'll probably keep it on the trailer for clamming and oystering though, a few years back my buddy and me caught a Dec.23 that was 60˚ and calm, we went out and loaded up on clams and oysters for Christmas Eve.

28qygls.jpg

Always liked those boats! PM me if you ever want to sell it😀

Cold Iron

First 5 years, USS Robison DDG-12. AKA: The Rockin Robbie

NH-106735-1024x710.jpg

USS Coral Sea CV-43 AKA: The Low Rider. Took her around the world in 83. BigJohnSD was staff at least on the Pacific side.

USS_Coral_Sea_(CVA-43)_stern_view_c1972.

USS Hermitage LSD 34. AKA: The Happy Herm.

USS_Hermitage_(LSD-34)_underway_in_1982.

USS America. AKA: The USS America. You don't mess around with that name. She was always the America. 

Going through the ditch called the Suez to Desert Shield (Red Sea) Then Desert Storm (The Gulf).

USS_America_(CV-66)_in_the_Suez_canal_19

Pretty sure I have more sea time than freaking Moby Dick. I live in the land of 10,000 lakes. I ain't got no boat and no plans to. But I got waders.

Ben Hong

What class of ship is The America?

Cold Iron

Kitty Hawk (Shitty Kitty) Class. Ironically she was sunk with live fire exercises off the coast of Kitty Hawk to become an artificial reef in 2005. The largest warship to ever be sunk.

quailguy
6 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

What class of ship is The America?

USS America (CVA/CV-66) was one of three Kitty Hawk-classsupercarriers built for the United States Navy in the 1960s. Commissioned in 1965, she spent most of her career in the Atlantic and Mediterranean, but did make three Pacific deployments serving in the Vietnam War. She also served in the Persian Gulf War's operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm.

America was the first large aircraft carrier since Operation Crossroads in 1946 to be expended in weapons tests. In 2005, she was scuttled southeast of Cape Hatteras, after four weeks of tests, despite a large protest of former crew-members who wanted to see her instituted as a memorial museum. She was the largest warship ever to be sunk.

I believe these 3 Kitty hawk class CVs or conventionally powered carriers were the last non nuke US aircraft carriers.

The current USS America is the 1st of a new class LHA, or amphib assault ship; a straight deck "carrier" with a capacity to carry 1,000 or so Marines + F35s, choppers, and MV22 Ospreys.

Cold Iron
14 minutes ago, quailguy said:

I believe these 3 Kitty hawk class CVs or conventionally powered carriers were the last non nuke US aircraft carriers.

The current USS America is the 1st of a new class LHA, or amphib assault ship; a straight deck "carrier" with a capacity to carry 1,000 or so Marines + F35s, choppers, and MV22 Ospreys.

Thanks quailguy. I used to walk by the first LHA-1 the Tarawa in San Diego going down the pier in the 70's when she was first launched. Thought it was a huge beast until I got on my first birdfarm.

We put together some film footage during Desert Storm set to the music of Bad Company, Bad Company. You more than likely have seen a fair amount of that footage in your life in the raw B|

Fin2Feather
On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:58 PM, Brad Eden said:

IMG_0155.JPG

I clearly picked the wrong profession.

Me too, Brad...

8e6inBBl.png

LabHunter
On 7/28/2018 at 6:57 AM, Grouseman_1 said:

F3871E1B-DB3E-4076-ABFC-7FA8B2F787A7.jpeg

Whoa...major garage envy there!  Nice shop area!

Grouseman_1
1 hour ago, LabHunter said:

Whoa...major garage envy there!  Nice shop area!

Well I wish it were mine! That’s the “shop” that built the blind. Bust ‘Em  Blinds. He’s located in Missouri. I met him just as he was negotiating with the big boat companies and Cabelas. Not sure if he’s still in that shop or had to buy a larger more efficient shop. 

Mike

LabHunter
14 minutes ago, Grouseman_1 said:

Well I wish it were mine! That’s the “shop” that built the blind. Bust ‘Em  Blinds. He’s located in Missouri. I met him just as he was negotiating with the big boat companies and Cabelas. Not sure if he’s still in that shop or had to buy a larger more efficient shop. 

Mike

Cool boat too, looks great!

brushbuster

I"m with Brad...

However I used to hunt ducks on the eastern shore with this.

Copy of IMG_0663.JPG

025_22A.JPG

IMG_0680.JPG