2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bennelli-banger

7 year old lab has her first seizure

bennelli-banger

have had 2 other labs who had a history of seizures...usually they started fairly early in the dogs life...todays was a first, and she is 7...thoughts?  Lasted about ten minutes, though it could have started sooner, I was chatting with someone in the C store...

Dogwood

Maybe it's the first seizure ever or maybe simply the first you've witnessed.  Regardless have a basic blood panel run if it happens again and assuming no other symptoms then wait and observe.  If the seizures recur with regularity, generally more than once monthly, then start antiseizure meds.  If it's late onset epilepsy that should take care of it; if it's a brain tumor then the meds will not and things will deteriorate rapidly.

You could cut to the chase and have an MRI performed on the brain to scan for tumors but they are a couple thousand to do generally and the diagnosis accordingly won't, for practical purposes, change the medical approach.  Your call but most folks don't have them done given the facts.

bennelli-banger

thanks...appreciate the advice...will just wait and see how things play out...any chance it resulted from something she may have eaten?  i just got back from SD and the dogs have a few minutes to roam several times a day...i saw her eating something out in a pasture yesterday am...i called her back, but she did eat something out there...probably not the culprit, just thought i would mention it...again, thanks much.

DonT
2 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Maybe it's the first seizure ever or maybe simply the first you've witnessed.  Regardless have a basic blood panel run if it happens again and assuming no other symptoms then wait and observe.  If the seizures recur with regularity, generally more than once monthly, then start antiseizure meds.  If it's late onset epilepsy that should take care of it; if it's a brain tumor then the meds will not and things will deteriorate rapidly.

You could cut to the chase and have an MRI performed on the brain to scan for tumors but they are a couple thousand to do generally and the diagnosis accordingly won't, for practical purposes, change the medical approach.  Your call but most folks don't have them done given the facts.

This has been my experience.  I wish you all the best.  

Dogwood
1 hour ago, bennelli-banger said:

thanks...appreciate the advice...will just wait and see how things play out...any chance it resulted from something she may have eaten?  i just got back from SD and the dogs have a few minutes to roam several times a day...i saw her eating something out in a pasture yesterday am...i called her back, but she did eat something out there...probably not the culprit, just thought i would mention it...again, thanks much.

No

DocE

Canine grade CBD has been shown to reduce seizures by over 90%, even in 'drug resistant' seizures.