2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
jeff88

National Parks of the US

jeff88

A good friend of mine who lives in London just returned from a tour of Nat'l Parks in CO, WY and MT.  He and his wife were blown away, highly impressed by how beautiful the parks areas are.  My BIL who is from Madrid believes the Nat'l Parks are the best thing about America.  Both of these gents grew up as city kids and never imagined there could be places like these.  Another friend from down under would say the same, he's explored the N CA and NW Parks.  Looks like I've visited 18 of the 59 Nat'l Parks listed and agree with my buddies from overseas, they are remarkable.  We are in AK in Sept and will be adding a couple more to our list.  Next month I'll also add Hot Springs.  The ones I haven't seen and want to visit are Glacier and Yosemite.  What do you think about the parks?  Any good adventures or stories?  

Wyobirds

I live close to 2 NP's and several State Parks.  I like everything about them except tourist traffic where the view is often the back of a motor home.  I visit the parks off season.

oak stob

In 1960, my father had my mother and I paged at the Old Faithful Inn at Yellowstone.....he said he thought we were lost.

Actually, he had forgotton the room number and was wandering around....the floors all looked much the same.

For an 8 year-old year old, that seemed a bit of a humorous adventure....not as much as being thrown out of the Flamingo hotel gambling area in Vegas but, I never let him forget it.

C.J.L.
52 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

The ones I haven't seen and want to visit are Glacier and Yosemite.  What do you think about the parks?  Any good adventures or stories?  

Glacier is Beautiful.  Last time there we bumped into a Grizzly dragging a roadkill steer off the road into the woods. Had that cow off the ground a foot or two and was walking backwards into the bush.  I stopped the truck and fumbled with my camera and the bear dropped the cow and walked off into the woods.  No pic!. 

Sleeping Bear Dunes is nice if you get there before the tourists do.  I take the dogs there first thing in the morning for a good long run and swim in Lake Michigan.

20180728_070553.jpg

Brad Eden

Me and JoAnn were on a bucket list deal with Nat Parks for awhile:

Acadia

Bryce

Everglades

Glacier Bay

Grand Canyon

Joshua Tree

Mesa Verde

Zion

But every time we plan to go to Yellowstone or Yosemite something screws up the plans. Someday.

I do have a story or two I'll try and post later 

FWIW. We have found some State Parks and Monument areas are very cool too, especially in the Southwest, less crowded and not as large but worth it.

boutdoors4

Well, hopefully you can visit Yosemite,  maybe next year as the fire in the area has the park shut down due to fire personnel needing the access to fight the fire. Here's hoping they can stop the fire and prevent it from entering the park.

jeff88
13 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Me and JoAnn were on a bucket list deal with Nat Parks for awhile:

Acadia

Bryce

Everglades

Glacier Bay

Grand Canyon

Joshua Tree

Mesa Verde

Zion

But every time we plan to go to Yellowstone or Yosemite something screws up the plans. Someday.

I do have a story or two I'll try and post later 

FWIW. We have found some State Parks and Monument areas are very cool too, especially in the Southwest, less crowded and not as large but worth it.

Brad, your blueberry picking thread reminded me of our Arcadia Nat'l trip, the memory of it inspired this topic.  We did a hike that included ladders for the steepest parts of the trail which led us to an amazing blueberry patch.  It was a bit challenging with young kids but well worth it.  When you go to Yellowstone, include Teton, Teton is my favorite thus far.  Agree with Wyobirds, going a bit off-season is ideal.  My favorite month is mid to late September, after Labor Day the crowds vanish.  Last September we did Guadalupe, Carlsbad and Rocky Mtn and they were all wide open with great weather.  While I don't know how old you are, I qualified for the Senior Pass which is $10 for a lifetime of every Nat'l Park!  

Chukarman

I live within a days drive of Yosemite, Kings Canyon, and Sequoia NPs. No matter how many times I visit Yosemite I am always blown away by the view from the valley floor. All three of these parks are well worth a visit.

Auto-5

I think the national parks are America’s greatest treasure. I am always a bit concerned when there are talks of federal budget cuts that they may be seen as an easy target and be allowed to suffer. I have visited several and plan to see as many as I can. By far my favorite is Yellowstone but since I live within a couple of hours of  The Smokies  they get most of my time.  When I envision Heaven it’s a combination of our national parks w/o the roads and development..

jeff88
26 minutes ago, Auto-5 said:

I think the national parks are America’s greatest treasure. I am always a bit concerned when there are talks of federal budget cuts that they may be seen as an easy target and be allowed to suffer. I have visited several and plan to see as many as I can. By far my favorite is Yellowstone but since I live within a couple of hours of  The Smokies  they get most of my time.  When I envision Heaven it’s a combination of our national parks w/o the roads and development..

Agree, they are a treasure.  Cades Cove in the Smokies was a nice trip - we biked it.  Saw a black bear too.  The park we've visited the most is Rocky Mtn, have been there six times and it never gets old.  

Big Al

Some good friends of mine took their Airstream trailer on a road trip this spring and hit 23 National Parks.  They were on the road for about three months.  It was a trip of a lifetime. 

In Montana we're about 90 minutes from Yellowstone.  It was expected that when friends and family visited us up here that we would take them into the park.  Well that got old.  Now if you visit I'll give you directions and wish you a nice day.

quailguy
1 hour ago, Auto-5 said:

I think the national parks are America’s greatest treasure. I am always a bit concerned when there are talks of federal budget cuts that they may be seen as an easy target and be allowed to suffer

I doubt the national parks themselves would ever be impacted except indirectly by some sort of hiring freeze. The US Gummint already owns them. Our National Park system has been taken as the model for numerous other countries; but we had the great good luck to have leaders like Theodore Roosevelt who established our parks almost entirely out of uninhabited or nearly so federal land. Totally different thing than trying to get a National Park in Europe.

And our National Park system draws millions of tourists every year; the damn gummint would be crazy to mess with a sure bet money maker. Ok, they are prolly not THAT crazy.

bmeador

I have done many, lived in AK for a while and hit several up there. My top 4 are Badlands of SD, Gates of the Arctic, Petrified Forest and Arches. The Smokies are nice but crowded. Don't pass up the Nat. Forests scattered throughout this great land. They have some spectacular areas, much less crowded and awesome camping. But I do love the NP/NM system and have many more to hit.

jeff88

TX Nat'l forests I've frequented are Sam Houston, Davy Crockett, Big Thicket and Sabine.  In PA it was Allegheny Nat'l Forest.  They are also good resources, have hunted all the above.

SEPAlander

Couldn't agree more with the OP, the National Parks are treasures here. They serve to capture and preserve the natural beauty of an area while also providing access. I didn't start traveling internationally until I was in my 30's, growing up the family always packed up the van, and drove from northern CA to Louisiana to visit family, mostly taking various routes that allowed us to visit many of the National Parks that weren't too far out of the way. Smaller vacations afforded the opportunity to see a lot of parks in CA and the PacNW.  Looking back I'm grateful to have had the chance to travel and see so much of the US. It's a big county with lots of different geologic and climatologic conditions to put on offer.  Still haven't been to Yellowstone, Grand Teton, or Acadia; those are on my bucket list of parks to visit.