FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Brent

iOS no service areas free map app recommendations

Brent

Hey everyone:

Have any of you had a positive experience with maps on your iPhone that can be pre-loaded for areas with no service?

map.me is highly recommended, but doesn't have much of Michigan.  I'd like to pre-load Michigan, or at least a few counties, as a backup to my Garmin.  I don't mind spending a little money.  

Thanks-

Brent

Chukarman

I download HuntX maps to my iPad for use in remote areas.

2 Ugly Dogs

I download my hunting areas prior to leaving the house using OnX, works great when there was is no cell service and the GPS feature still works. 

Jim Vander

Ive used ONX maps in Dakotas and Montana and found them outstanding. Last year I used Northwind maps in Michigan and was very pleased.

Brent

Hey thanks everyone-

duluthUPLAND

OnX maps is excellent for this and much more.

Northwind maps is improving in this area and is in the midst of rolling out the latest iteration of their mobile service. I've had some hands-on time with it and it's really slick! For the grouse and woodcock hunter, Scout-N-Hunt from Northwind is going to be an excellent tool for scouting cover and navigating both at home and most importantly, in the field.

Additionally, I use a very basic GIS application called Map Plus to download and store satellite imagery of areas I intend to hunt. It takes a little manipulating and upfront work but it's a great tool and I like knowing that I've got a quality satellite imagery base map combined with GPS tracking wherever I go.

Brent

Thanks Duluth-