FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
cf1193

Pro-plan?

cf1193

Thinking about making the switch from Science Diet to Pro Plan, seems like many here feed it, and if ear infections might be lessened by a change in food, I’m more than willing.

What are your thoughts? Think the change would be worthwhile?

BlacknTan

I feed Pro Plan to this dog and like it so far. Hills and Purina are the leading prescription diet makers... they have Vets and Nutritionists on staff and should know something!

ccavacini

Always Pro Plan with no problems

Skybuster

I'm feeding Purina JD (Joint Management) to my 12 year old Lab, available only through your local Vet however. I don't think you can go wrong with Purina products.

Jayhawk92

I feed Purina Pro-Plan Focus, Chicken and Rice. It's worked well with my dog for 4 years now. I can't say if it will impact your pups ear infections.

E.Young

I feed PPP Focus in the summer and Performance in-season, both with a little glug of cod liver oil on the top. The dogs love the PPP and it is about the only thing that keeps weight on one of them in season - highest fat food I've been able to find, as well. I also periodically give them PPP Fortiflora, which clears up a number of GI discomforts pretty well. 

Treerooster

I feed Pro Plan Sport and my dogs do fine on it. To my knowledge dog food does not preve t ear infections. Got one dog that is prone to that. I clear it up with Douxo Micellar Solution that my vet gave me. 

Flairball

I will never give my dogs Pro Plan ever again. I feed Fromm, and will stick with it. Pro Plan has always gotten good reviews, so I thought I’d try it. I bought a bag and about of a third of the way through it I found some trype of foreign object in it. The bag went straight in to the trash. A few months later, after some conversation with dog people, I decided to try it again. Right away I found garbage mixed in with the food. Another bag in the trash, and back to Fromms. 

cf1193
1 minute ago, Flairball said:

I will never give my dogs Pro Plan ever again. I feed Fromm, and will stick with it. Pro Plan has always gotten good reviews, so I thought I’d try it. I bought a bag and about of a third of the way through it I found some trype of foreign object in it. The bag went straight in to the trash. A few months later, after some conversation with dog people, I decided to try it again. Right away I found garbage mixed in with the food. Another bag in the trash, and back to Fromms. 

Interesting... what’s the sales pitch for Fromm? I’ve never heard of it before.

Brad Eden

Only PPP. Tried a lot of brands, foo foo and otherwise. Sticking with PPP for all our dogs now, and I don't even read the label. They just plain do well on it.

Greg Hartman

FWIW, I too, once strayed from Purina Pro Plan Sport to various other types that supposedly had better ingredients because my dogs are family members and I wanted them to have whatever was "The Best" for them, regardless of cost.  After studying the situation rather carefully, discovered that the much more expensive upscale foods I was feeding were not actually as good in terms of ingredients, purity, etc. as PPPS.  I went back to PPPS and have stayed there ever since.  I don't know if it is objectively "The Best"; and I don't know how to find what is objectively "The Best" food, but I can say that my dogs seem to thrive on PPPS, live long and healthy lives, etc.

The Chaser, yet another Purina Pro Plan Sport dog of champions!!  😊

1-24-18 - Chase retrieve - 2a

sxsneubaum

I've been feeding Pro Plan 30/20 Salmon and Rice for years.  Switched from others.  It's consistent and the dogs do really well on it.  Only need to feed about 1/2 cup more in the winter. 

drummer's stump
1 hour ago, Flairball said:

x2 

I switched from PPP to Eukanuba premium performance which I liked but had a hard time getting it, then I switched to Fromm about 6 years ago and have not looked back. I like that PPP is dedicated to field trials and such, but my dogs did not do well on it.

Pub Scout

8 years of PPP and no complaints.

gaberdeen

Didn’t have good luck with PP either. My Golden itches terribly and had such dry scaly skin while on PP. Switched to Blue Buffalo and skin issues went away. Been using it for 8 yrs now.