2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Jmrozinski

Bell or Beeper?

Jmrozinski

I have a 5 month gwp pup and I’m not sure whether I should use a bell or beeper.  I do track her with an Astro 430 and T-5 collar but she is hard to see in MI grouse cover.  Any thoughts on a locator?

Timn

Neither if you have a Astro why deal with all the bird scaring , get on your nerves noise.

ScottGrush

Beeper set to point only.

Jmrozinski

Thanks for replying.  She is my first hunting dog and the family loves her.  I’m hearing impaired and I hate to lose her.

Jmrozinski

I do like the beeper set to point.  Who makes a reliable unit?

greg jacobs

Gps only. I have a real dislike for beepers, and a love for quiet. Never been around bells. Don't know anyone here in the NW that uses one

NECarson

Another vote for GPS only. 

gunsrus

if you need a beeper / ecollar set up , Dogtra is the way to go .

I personally like the Alpha and run a bell . I too am hearing impaired but like to hear the dog moving through the woods . When the bell stops,  I walk toward where I last heard it , check the Alpha and find the dog . YMMV . 

Treerooster

I don't have a GPS type collar so I don't have experience with those.

I have a hearing impairment also (wear hearing aids while hunting), mine is mostly in the higher pitches. Also have a GWP and a Pudelpointer, yeah hard to see but handy when I duck hunt.

I run a Beeper on point mode only. Lovett makes a good Beeper collar and they also make a low tone model for guys like me.

QuailhunterNZ

I also have no experience with GPS collars. I use beeper collars on point mode. Tried a bell once but in my matagouri/ briar scrub it was useless. Even with my beepers sometimes I have trouble telling which direction the sound is coming from! - but till better than losing them on point. 

Rick Hall

Never got a by-line, much less paid, for this online reprint of a piece I only sold "first serial"  rights to the magazine's prior owner, Stover Publishing, but this was my take on your question back in the '90s: http://www.gundogmag.com/training/training_bells_beepers/

gunsrus
46 minutes ago, Rick Hall said:

Never got a by-line, much less paid, for this online reprint of a piece I only sold "first serial"  rights to the magazine's prior owner, Stover Publishing, but this was my take on your question back in the '90s: http://www.gundogmag.com/training/training_bells_beepers/

Well done . I did run beepers , point mode only , before Astro/Alpha . I prefer the sweet sound of the bell as opposed to the beeper . I am a traditionalist , I think !

Fire Marshal Bill

In addition to a GPS/Bell, because my dog is dark colored brown I use on orange vest on him. Sometimes all I see is an orange blanket moving thru the brush. 

oak stob

Depends upon the dog and the bell but I have come to prefer an Astro with the immediacy of location, pretty much, delivered by a good bell.

Virgil Kane

I like the bell.  I can tell at what pace my dog is working by the cadence of the bell when out of sight.  I also wrap the bell with some duct tape to subdue the sound somewhat.

Virgil