Sign in to follow this  
Jmrozinski

Bell or Beeper?

mccuha

GPS like some of the others. Noises will spoke pressured birds where I hunt.

bill

I still like beeper have had good luck with those Lovett beepers have Garmin too my problem with garmin don't like have to be holding it in my hand following screen to my dog. If I am dealing with wild spooky birds then just make dog stay close us a bell. like the guy said set on point mode

Curt
1 hour ago, Fire Marshal Bill said:

In addition to a GPS/Bell, because my dog is dark colored brown I use on orange vest on him. Sometimes all I see is an orange blanket moving thru the brush. 

This helps for sure, my dogs are mostly white but I still have them wear a blaze orange vest for best visibility. 

duluthUPLAND

I prefer all three (bell, beeper and GPS) in grouse cover. My beeper is controlled remotely and I typically run it silent. The only time it gets used is when the GPS and bell don't get me all the way there. If the GPS tells me I'm close and I still can't see the dog, a quick tap of the "locate" button on the beeper usually solves the problem.

I detailed it more in an article I wrote last fall: https://www.projectupland.com/gun-dog-confidential/bird-dog-tracking-2/

caleb
25 minutes ago, duluthUPLAND said:

I prefer all three (bell, beeper and GPS) in grouse cover. My beeper is controlled remotely and I typically run it silent. The only time it gets used is when the GPS and bell don't get me all the way there. If the GPS tells me I'm close and I still can't see the dog, a quick tap of the "locate" button on the beeper usually solves the problem.

I detailed it more in an article I wrote last fall: https://www.projectupland.com/gun-dog-confidential/bird-dog-tracking-2/

I'm an "all three" guy.  Bell to track the dog when he's running, beeper to find him on point, and GPS as a backup for both of us.

Some people don't like the constant noise of the bell, but one major advantage I see in it is knowing the dog's direction of travel when he went point, allowing me make an educated guess about how best to approach the point.  If I wait to think about how to handle the bird until I find the dog, it's often too late.

duluthUPLAND
4 minutes ago, caleb said:

I'm an "all three" guy.  Bell to track the dog when he's running, beeper to find him on point, and GPS as a backup for both of us.

Some people don't like the constant noise of the bell, but one major advantage I see in it is knowing the dog's direction of travel when he went point, allowing me make an educated guess about how best to approach the point.  If I wait to think about how to handle the bird until I find the dog, it's often too late.

Exactly! Each specific tracking tool plays a role and they all have advantages. 

In a perfect point situation, I'll never look at the GPS or use the beeper. The bell will tell me everything I need to know. When that doesn't happen, the beeper and GPS are there as additional tracking support. Like you, I've found that time is the critical factor, specifically with grouse. The quicker I can get to a grouse point and approach it correctly, the better my chances are.

Additionally, I've heard this one both ways, but as long as I hunt in wolf country my dog will wear a bell. I personally think it's better to let them know you're coming. (Knock on wood)

BlacknTan

I've used beepers since they first came out.. The old Tracker Electronics unit, which was a pretty good beeper, save a couple of inherent design flaws. I ran a beeper for many years.. the difficulty of seeing a Gordon in the woods didn't help matters. This dog has run a bell, and I'm pretty happy with it thus far, and the range she works, so we'll see. But, I'm prepared to return to the electronic video game if need be.

mccuha
2 hours ago, Curt said:

This helps for sure, my dogs are mostly white but I still have them wear a blaze orange vest for best visibility. 

I run a fluorescent vest on my gsp because she is so darkly marked you can walk past her even with a gps on her.  I flushed a bird from in front of her one time. I could see exactly where she was on the gps but never saw her with my eyes until I walked up the bird by accident 

bill
16 hours ago, Jmrozinski said:

Thanks for replying.  She is my first hunting dog and the family loves her.  I’m hearing impaired and I hate to lose her.

I have hunted with folks who have trouble hearing a beeper > If hearing impaired  yes us a GSP locator don't want loose dog especially in wolf country

Cooter Brown

I use an Alpha and a beeper on point only.  I used to use a bell but stopped when I got the GPS.  The bell does tell you a lot about what's going on, but I don't miss it anymore.

With my hearing I need the lowest tone beeper available.  Right now that's the Lovett's VLT.  If you get one put it through its paces.  I got a new one a while back that was defective intermittently.

Curt

Well, bells are old school and damn near worthless once the dog goes on point.  I know this because I followed dogs around wearing bells, hunting grouse, for 30 years or so prior to beepers.

The older you get the less likely it is that you'll find the sound a bell makes useful, hearing gets worse as time goes by and that will cut down on the range that you'll be able to hear it and identify what direction it's coming from.  At 71 I've experienced that.

The beeper was a big improvement over the bell, added range, various tones, and the fact that it didn't go silent when the dog found birds all made it a winner.  Only issue was, hunting with one sounded like a cement truck backing up in the cover, not a great thing.  I hunted a lot of years using just a beeper.

Then along came the GPS(Astro), now locating the dog was easy peasy, the thing even gave you a little beep if the dog stopped, maybe on point, or maybe to take a dump, but he stopped.

Couple that with a beeper set on point mode only and you have a pretty tough combination to beat, as long as you can hear the beeper well enough.  I did that for several years as well.

The last few years it's been GPS only for me, I can find the dog, don't have the distraction of the beeper, and I've taken the hearing issue out of the game, the eyes are still fine although if you watched me shoot you might question that.

MEdooGuide

For real grouse cover I couple a bell with a GPS. As soon as you stop hearing the bell you can locate by checking the GPS. 

2 Ugly Dogs
10 hours ago, duluthUPLAND said:

Same just no bell. Really like this setup

C.J.L.

To my ears the only sound more repulsive than a beeper is a guy yelling for his dog lol.  I used a beeper maybe 25 or 30 years ago.  Can't stand the sound.  It's a bell when leaves are on the trees and nothing out west and after the leaves fall.  No orange vest but I do tie a a good size piece of Flo orange nylon on their collar. I got a sheet of 5'X5' on line a few years back for $5.00 shipped and it works great for me.  Plus, all my dogs have always been 90% white and that helps some.  Its not all that hard to keep a line on your dogs.

finsfurfeathers

After reading some of these post think I know why I hunt alone a lot.

Love the sound of the bell as I find its the sound tract to what the dog is doing. By the cadence of the bell can tell you exactly what the dogs up to. Run the beeper on point only cause when they stop moving hard to pick them out. White dog is hard enough to pick out in the bush but a freak snow  fall made it tougher. Don't have a taste for GPS yet cause for me hunting still means eyes on dog not a screen.

40760604174_a7c3a5d403_z.jpg