REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Jmrozinski

Bell or Beeper?

terrym
On 7/31/2018 at 10:43 PM, Jmrozinski said:

I do like the beeper set to point.  Who makes a reliable unit?

Dogtra 2500 T&B. 

I switched from a bell to a beeper in 1985/1986 and have used a beeper exclusively since. Only time I use a bell on my dog is to stage a photo and give it a nostalgic theme.

If my hearing gives out I’ll revert to using a gps in conjunction with a beeper attached to the collar strap. 

In my lifetime the beeper collar and google earth have been “the” grouse hunting game changers. 

tut

I have an Astro 320 and use it on occasion.  I don't have a big running dog and 95 percent of the time Soph is within 150 yards.  For me personally I like the Lovetts Low Tone beeper.  I actually like the tone.  Some beepers sound like a trash truck backing up or they have a shrill tone that I find frankly annoying.  I like the Lovetts because of the tone and because it beeps every 4 seconds or so, and therefore I always know where the little girl is.  If she gets out on the edge of range I whistle her back in.  To me the value of the Astro is when the winds get up and I can't hear the beeper.  That's when the Astro adds its true value.   I'd feel totally different if I had a pup that operates out to 400 yards or so.   PS.  I have quite a few bells, but my issue with those I think the noise is constant and therefore Sophie might not be able to hear the whistle over the constant bell noise.  There is no right answer.   Lot depends on the dog and the game and what terrain is being hunted IMO..

gmikrut

I started out running a beeper collar and then found myself wanting a GPS.  This year, I'll be adding a beeper back in the woods because it just takes too long to figure out where they are at with a GPS alone.  

The bell can be nice to follow where your dog is but the range isn't always far and if they stretch their legs and go silent, it can be very difficult to find them.

bill
8 hours ago, JCJ said:

I switched from a bell to a beeper in 1985/1986 and have used a beeper exclusively since. Only time I use a bell on my dog is to stage a photo and give it a nostalgic theme.

If my hearing gives out I’ll revert to using a gps in conjunction with a beeper attached to the collar strap. 

In my lifetime the beeper collar and google earth have been “the” grouse hunting game changers. 

I remember the first beeper collar I every saw came from a guy made them lived around Trout lake Mich  had mercury switch in them to make it operate .  Was hunting alot in N C then that ole setter champ figured he could range further out with beeper than bell that was back when they still cut Timber ON USFS lands we had good grouse numbers.

bill
7 hours ago, tut said:

I have an Astro 320 and use it on occasion.  I don't have a big running dog and 95 percent of the time Soph is within 150 yards.  For me personally I like the Lovetts Low Tone beeper.  I actually like the tone.  Some beepers sound like a trash truck backing up or they have a shrill tone that I find frankly annoying.  I like the Lovetts because of the tone and because it beeps every 4 seconds or so, and therefore I always know where the little girl is.  If she gets out on the edge of range I whistle her back in.  To me the value of the Astro is when the winds get up and I can't hear the beeper.  That's when the Astro adds its true value.   I'd feel totally different if I had a pup that operates out to 400 yards or so.   PS.  I have quite a few bells, but my issue with those I think the noise is constant and therefore Sophie might not be able to hear the whistle over the constant bell noise.  There is no right answer.   Lot depends on the dog and the game and what terrain is being hunted IMO..

I think over time as dog ages Bells and beepers bring on Deafness sooner Plus all the shotgun blasts over the years around them at close quarters.

tut
40 minutes ago, bill said:

I think over time as dog ages Bells and beepers bring on Deafness sooner Plus all the shotgun blasts over the years around them at close quarters.

I live in Va.  No Va bird dog would ever get into enough birds to have an issue with Shotgun Blasts causing deafness.  Its the only plus on hunting upland in Va. 

oak stob
1 hour ago, bill said:

Bells and dog ears both differ......hearing loss from a bell, of a degree that matters, would never be a given, imo.

‘Course, my dogs do suffer bouts of not listening...probably from beet pulp.

A good bell is a tie to past days....I wonder if that will ever be said of battery devices.

2 hours ago, bill said:

I remember the first beeper collar I every saw came from a guy made them lived around Trout lake Mich  had mercury switch in them to make it operate .  Was hunting alot in N C then that ole setter champ figured he could range further out with beeper than bell that was back when they still cut Timber ON USFS lands we had good grouse numbers.

The first beepers we had were made starting in the early 1980’s by Dave Lunn (Tracker Electronics) Forest Lake, MN. Dave was a local dog man and grouse hunter. 

Picket Pin

Also a little hard of hearing, so a Garmin Alpha and a bell covers it all for my grouse and woodcock hunting this fall.

PartsGuy
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:43 PM, Jmrozinski said:

I do like the beeper set to point.  Who makes a reliable unit?

i have the sport dog 1875  works pretty good. I run silent until they point on the female the male I keep it on low beep and point

Yukon1

I've tried bells and beepers. I always liked the bell better because it gave me more info as to what my dogs were doing. 

Sometimes I would add the beeper but in "Locate" mode, not point mode. That way the beeper was only sounding when I needed it. 

Last year I started using gps because as I mentioned elsewhere, my hearing isn't getting any younger. Same goes for the dogs. 

stwilgefortis

i hunt in the woods of Wisconsin,where there is considerable anxiety about wolves and bears. Those who purport to know say the more noise the safer your dog is. With that in mind,I’m 65,and beepers are getting harder for me to hear ,and in the woods the sound seems to reverberate, so I have a harder time locating it. So I use a small cow bell type bell that is much more than a tinkle and have the beeper on point only.

Remo
On 7/31/2018 at 8:21 PM, Jmrozinski said:

I have a 5 month gwp pup and I’m not sure whether I should use a bell or beeper.  I do track her with an Astro 430 and T-5 collar but she is hard to see in MI grouse cover.  Any thoughts on a locator?

I use a beeper on my GWP Max that is set to hand only. Hearing aids don't quite give me direction of the beep so I hit the button a couple times when turning my head. The thing with the unit is that it can pack with snow and the sound is muffled out sometimes.

ccavacini

I have always run my dogs with bells.  My current Brittany is a runt (23 lbs.), so the brush is always higher than she is.  I also have a beeper set to locate only.

This year, though, I noticed she's getting hard of hearing (12).  I used to hit the locate beeper, and she would come back to me...if she couldn't see me I would direct her with the whistle.    But, lately she just ignores the beep....figured out she's near deaf.  

So, I just try to keep her in my sight (or sound of her bell.)