2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Quig

Torn ACL occurrence with spaying

Quig

My vet told me that there seems to be evidence of a higher rate of torn ACL‘s when a dog has been spayed or neutered. Has anyone heard of this?

i dont plan to breeed my pup, but I’m letting her go through a few heat  cycles.

Kieffer

Yes, if you look at some of the threads on here about spaying, there should be some references about that issue.  I don't plan to breed my current female either and also won't be spaying her anytime soon if at all, because of that.  I've had one spayed female and she did end up tearing her ACL.  I'd rather have her wear shorts around the house when in season rather than deal with that again.

Urban_Redneck

The recommendation I got was wait 2 heats for females and 18 months minimum for neutering. 

bennelli-banger

my spayed female tore both rear ACL's about 2 years apart...age 3 and 5...

406dn

I know of more than a few dogs that have had CCL injuries in the field trial game. None of them that I am aware of had been neutered or spayed. 

SxSetter

It's likely been up here multiple times, but there's some early research to indicate that waiting until physical maturity to spay/neuter may decrease the risk of some orthopedic issues later in life in some breeds of dogs.  No real downside to waiting a little longer for surgery if that's your plan.  For female Golden's the reduced cancer risk may outweigh the complications of being an intact non breeding female?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4096726/