Jump to content
2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Brad Eden

First Lipoma Removal for Cash

Recommended Posts

Brad Eden

I'm a bit of a veteran when it comes to dealing with benign fatty tumors or Lipomas on my dogs. The late great Jake was covered and had some extensive surgery to remove them, resulting in infections and a tough recuperation. 

 

A while back  I noticed a small lump on Cash's left leg after he was cut/shaved. (He is 7 years old) Smaller than an acorn, between what would be his wrist and elbow, closer to the wrist. It grew to the size of a small flattish walnut in a couple months. Tested to be a fatty tumor but in an unusual spot. I decided to have it removed before it grew any larger. Actually had second thoughts and cancelled the first surgery appointment. I was concerned about the location in an area with almost no muscle just bone, tendons and nerves. The last thing I wanted was to compromise his activity, since he is a physical specimen and the most athletic dog I have ever owned. But it's position was such that it might lead to problems when hunting, getting abrased and caught on stuff. 

 

It wasnt something I could ignore so he went under the knife yesterday. I spoke with my vet about my concerns and she said she would take a good look once open and decide what to do. Everything went well, the lump was pliable, and encased or encapsulated as we had hoped, and was "popped/scooped" out. He was a little loopy and whining under his breath when I got him home in the afternoon, likely due to the anesthesia, but settled down, good appetite, no limping. I have a cone of shame but he is such a good boy and hasn't even licked the bandage on the leg, so will only use if he is left alone for a long period.

 

Slept well last night, still eating well, had a small poop this morning and took a short walk on leash out back. He came home with some syringe/oral pain meds for a few days, and I decided to take no chances so asked for antibiotics since last surgery experiences typically resulted in some infections. 

 

Appointment in 10 days to hopefully remove staples. Again, he had a bad reaction to stitches when neutered so vet went the staple route. Im cautiously optimistic all will continue to progress well, and my boy will be doing laps around the property and moving the resident Woodcock and grouse in a couple weeks.

 

it was lonely around the house for me and Luna when he was at the vets all day. And I was of course a nervous wreck until I got a status report after surgery. Makes you really appreciate how much you can love a dog,

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlacknTan

I understand your concern, and can commiserate...

 

Best wishes for Cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gaberdeen

Mojo for the Cash monkey’s speedy recovery!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gunsrus

Go get em Cash .

My thoughts , like this situation , is to have it done sooner than later . I waited too long to remove something that grew over my GSP's eye . 

Later it couldn't be removed without removing some of the eye lid always leaving it open . I regret that poor dog living with that growth .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
salmontogue
19 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

I'm a bit of a veteran when it comes to dealing with benign fatty tumors or Lipomas on my dogs. The late great Jake was covered and had some extensive surgery to remove them, resulting in infections and a tough recuperation. 

 

A while back  I noticed a small lump on Cash's left leg after he was cut/shaved. (He is 7 years old) Smaller than an acorn, between what would be his wrist and elbow, closer to the wrist. It grew to the size of a small flattish walnut in a couple months. Tested to be a fatty tumor but in an unusual spot. I decided to have it removed before it grew any larger. Actually had second thoughts and cancelled the first surgery appointment. I was concerned about the location in an area with almost no muscle just bone, tendons and nerves. The last thing I wanted was to compromise his activity, since he is a physical specimen and the most athletic dog I have ever owned. 

 

It wasnt something I could ignore so he went under the knife yesterday. I spoke with my vet about my concerns and she said she would take a good look once open and decide what to do. Everything went well, the lump was pliable, and encased or encapsulated as we had hoped, and was "popped/scooped" out. He was a little loopy and whining under his breath when I got him home in the afternoon, likely due to the anesthesia, but settled down, good appetite, no limping. I have a cone of shame but he is such a good boy and hasn't even licked the bandage on the leg, so will only use if he is left alone for a long period.

 

Slept well last night, still eating well, had a small poop this morning and took a short walk on leash out back. He came home with some syringe/oral pain meds for a few days, and I decided to take no chances so asked for antibiotics since last surgery experiences typically resulted in some infections. 

 

Appointment in 10 days to hopefully remove staples. Again, he had a bad reaction to stitches when neutered so vet went the staple route. Im cautiously optimistic all will continue to progress well, and my boy will be doing laps around the property and moving the resident Woodcock and grouse in a couple weeks.

 

it was lonely around the house for me and Luna when he was at the vets all day. And I was of course a nervous wreck until I got a status report after surgery. Makes you really appreciate how much you can love a dog,

 

 

 

Going to Calais for church this morning.  A candle will be lit for Cash's speedy recovery.

 

Perk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden
22 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

 

Going to Calais for church this morning.  A candle will be lit for Cash's speedy recovery.

 

Perk

 

Double "like"...his northwoods stomping grounds no less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tim Frazier

13 y/o Thor has had his share of maladies but he did not get the lipomas to the extent Briar did.  Like Cash though, Briar was half show/half field.

 

Glad Cash is doing well post surgery!

thor.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden

IMG_0802.JPG

 

What a good boy. No Cone of Shame yet. Being watched over by his concerned little sister Luna as I tend the garden. They like shade when they see it. The lump was under the purple part of bandage on back of leg. The shaved part on other leg was where they put the intravenous for surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
henryrski

Since it was benign why did you have it removed? The reason I'm asking is because my wife's 75# mixed breed has several of them. They were aspirated recently and all seemed okay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden
5 minutes ago, henryrski said:

Since it was benign why did you have it removed? The reason I'm asking is because my wife's 75# mixed breed has several of them. They were aspirated recently and all seemed okay.

 Good question. It was growing slowly, and it's easier and less invasive surgery when it's small, and its position on his leg could have led to it getting sore and abrased when hunting. If it was anywhere else I'd have likely just watched it. I did let some lipomas on Jake get too large and that surgery didn't go so well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden

Fingers crossed. So far so good with recuperation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UplandHntr

Awesome to hear. Being in great shape will help him bounce back I assume. Hang in there Eden’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fire Marshal Bill

Cash looks really good in the picture, relaxed but alert to what his Master is doing. Luna is also. To me that's a sign that wherever you go/do they want to be with you. Can't ask for more than that, Loyalty!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden
7 minutes ago, Fire Marshal Bill said:

Cash looks really good in the picture, relaxed but alert to what his Master is doing. Luna is also. To me that's a sign that wherever you go/do they want to be with you. Can't ask for more than that, Loyalty!!

That's spot on. Been that way with all my dogs. The fun begins and ends with me, very little self play or self hunt or wandering off. A product of me being self employed and around them so much I think. Although we live a ways in the woods, off a very lightly traveled dirt road I want eyes on them all the time. When they are let out, or if I'm working in the yard, this is what I like to see when I check to see where they are.

 

IMG_0804.JPG

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fire Marshal Bill

You are truly blessed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×