REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
hexfly

Grouse hunters and gps v locators

john mcg

Another thought...bells get packed with snow and don’t clang.

BlacknTan

I ran a beeper for decades... I'm not listening to it anymore!

I presently run a sleigh bell with Astro. I do not believe I'll go back to a beeper, but, stranger things have happened!

john mcg

There is another aspect to this and could prolly use another thread, although I’m sure it’s been done before.

Marking the vehicle location is a mighty fine thing. Even folks with big woods experience, a compass and skills can get turned around when presence of mind is scarce. Its no joke to get turned around following a dog or dogs. Especially as the shadows lengthen.

There is no substitute for compass and orienteering skills and great fun in itself...but that gps protection for man is not a thing to be made little of.

WPG Gizmo

I ran bells for years just like everyone else but I found that you find more birds with the dog running silent then you do with a dog wearing a bell so I stopped running bells along time ago.  A lot of the places we hunt get hit by other hunters and the birds get smart they hear a bell they get out of town but a dog running quiet gets the drop on these birds and that is when the beeper goes off only when they are on point.  I am sure that you can find birds that have not heard a bell but in the places I get to hunt that is not the case.

john mcg
Just now, WPG Gizmo said:

I ran bells for years just like everyone else but I found that you find more birds with the dog running silent then you do with a dog wearing a bell so I stopped running bells along time ago.  A lot of the places we hunt get hit by other hunters and the birds get smart they hear a bell they get out of town but a dog running quiet gets the drop on these birds and that is when the beeper goes off only when they are on point.  I am sure that you can find birds that have not heard a bell but in the places I get to hunt that is not the case.

Some grouse are much smarter than others...eh Gary?

Picket Pin

Alpha 100 and a low tone bell for me.  

gaberdeen

Alpha and a bell for my mutts. They are fairly close working but peace of mind is peace of mind.

Quig

Astro and low tone bell for me also. I like all the maps, distance the dog has traveled and how far I’ve walked information. Knowing where the truck is, rivers etc.. is worth the hassle of carrying it.