FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
gmikrut

Help me spend some money

gmikrut

I've been throwing around a few ideas in my head and need to brainstorm out loud.  I figured my kind friends here will be able to give me a few good ideas.

So here is the deal, I'm tall and have odd dimensions.  I had my Fox Sterlingworth 16 restocked and the LOP is 16 7/8'' and the drop is nearly 3''.  I hunted those dimensions last year and have been practicing skeet lately from low gun and shooting well enough for my standards.  I would like to acquire another 16 so I have a backup gun on trips that I can shoot the same ammo, I'm trying to save weight and space.  I wish I could buy and try a few guns to see what I connect with but I think the reality of it is, that nothing will feel quite right unless it fits.

Say I have $5k to put towards a new to me gun.  Since I'll have to modify the gun, it will likely be something that I have until the day I die.  What do I buy?  What are my options?  I have a preference for SxS's and would like for it to be a vintage type gun although I keep throwing the idea of having a modern gun that I can shoot steel through.  I'd also really like a 29-30'' barrels.  My Sterly has 28's.  I do reload so I'm sure I can figure out some loads to fit my needs if I end up with another vintage gun.  I hunt all over the midwest and shoot birds over pointing dogs.

Thanks,

Garrett

lee sykes

How about a light 12?  Many more options available . I'd be looking at vintage Brit guns and new Italian and Spanish guns.  I daresay, you are never going to find a stock that long as you probably know. I'm guessing the seemingly excessive drop is the result of the extra length alone and would be about 2 1/2" at the butt. of a 14" l.o.p.  So we're talking a custom stocked new gun or a modifiable older gun.  

gmikrut
3 minutes ago, lee sykes said:

How about a light 12?  Many more options available . I'd be looking at vintage Brit guns and new Italian and Spanish guns.  I daresay, you are never going to find a stock that long as you probably know. I'm guessing the seemingly excessive drop is the result of the extra length alone and would be about 2 1/2" at the butt. of a 14" l.o.p.  So we're talking a custom stocked new gun or a modifiable older gun.  

yes, custom stocked or modifiable.  Just wondering what options exist and what a good path would be.

I don't have anything against a light 12 but really would like a 16 considering I already have one and reload.

salmontogue

You can buy a new B. Rizzini BR550 or 552 stocked to your requirements.  Rizzini USA would be the contact.  Wonderful guns.

Perk

lee sykes

I was just looking at Hill Rod and Gun's inventory. That might be a good place for you to look.  They had a nice Bonehill  (12) with 30" barrels and 15" stock. You'd only need to add a 2" spacer. It weighs about 6 3/4 lbs.  The trouble with a 16 is, with a stock that long, it will be poorly balanced.  You might want to look for a 30" barreled 16 gauge Win Model 21.  

oak stob

The 30” would look best, imo, on that or a bit less LOP....nice.

I suppose you are set upon 16 7/8”?....”well enough” would odds on still exist with a tad shorter measurement and also increase your options as regards sawdust or glue. 

Anyway, I would consider looking for a 16 gauge Model 21 with 30” barrels...balance issues might just be swell.

Have fun deciding.

ScottGrush
42 minutes ago, lee sykes said:

You might want to look for a 30" barreled 16 gauge Win Model 21.  

I wonder what the price for one of those would be? 

oak stob
1 minute ago, ScottGrush said:

I wonder what the price for one of those would be? 

One seldom dodges every pothole.

Dave Erickson

This one is too short, but there's a whole world of 30" 16 gauge Parkers out there. I bought mine for well under 2K. It's not perfect, but it's sound and shoots well. 

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/parker-shotguns/parker-vhe-16-gauge-30-barrels-ejectors-100-turnbull-case-colors-restored-nice-.cfm?gun_id=101055397

Swampy 16

I believe Fair will build to suit. If it were me, I’d probably look for a graded Fox and have it restocked. You can find them at reasonable prices and I would obviously save the original stock. Parker’s are just so expensive.

BlacknTan
48 minutes ago, Dave Erickson said:

This one is too short, but there's a whole world of 30" 16 gauge Parkers out there. I bought mine for well under 2K. It's not perfect, but it's sound and shoots well. 

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/parker-shotguns/parker-vhe-16-gauge-30-barrels-ejectors-100-turnbull-case-colors-restored-nice-.cfm?gun_id=101055397

That's a nice gun!

BTW, I've seen pieces of walnut added to a buttstock, and stained to match, and it looks fairly unobtrusive.. if done properly.

gunsrus

Mark Larson Gun Art .

i have seek extensions he has put on guns . He has matched the existing to a T . Pretty reasonable , I'd give him a try . 

Find a Fox w 30'' and have at it . 

gmikrut
7 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

Mark Larson Gun Art .

i have seek extensions he has put on guns . He has matched the existing to a T . Pretty reasonable , I'd give him a try . 

Find a Fox w 30'' and have at it . 

I"m all about a 16 30'' Fox.  Help me find one!

gunsrus

I'll keep my eyes open . 

tut
3 hours ago, gmikrut said:

I"m all about a 16 30'' Fox.  Help me find one!

I have a 16 gauge Fox Sterly ejector with 30" barrels (not for sale btw).   Took me about 7 years of hard looking to find it and it wasn't cheap.  30" Fox Sterly 16's extractor guns are out there.  I've seen several in the last few years.  You find one and restock it and you are where you want to be with class.  

dove.jpg