FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Second try on push mower...

Brad Eden

My ancient Craftsman heavy as lead high wheel push mower died, or let's say the last time I bent the blade using it like a bushhog...bent the main shaft. (Inherited this old mower from previous house owners)

I have a JD Rider so only use the push mower for edge work and tight areas, and at camp to mow the front and along road property lines.

Decided on the Yard Machine 21 inch high wheel from Home Depot. Bought it a couple weeks ago. (My properties are hilly and rough in places and the high wheels are a must) It's a decent but cheap mower, OK reviews, NOT self propelled for under $200. Im not spending a lot of cash on a push mower I don't use a lot.

Easy to assemble, real light and nimble. Like it. Started up no problem but ran poorly, sputtering and sounding like a mower having ethanol issues. I used FRESH treated gas so couldn't understand it. Not real bad but not good for a brand new mower. I pulled the plug and saw the prong over electrode was bent to side a little. Aha! I bent it back and re-gapped to spec. Still running rough. Got a new plug. Still running rough. Enough dicking around on a new purchase.

Brought it back to HD this morning and brought home a brand new one of the same model. Will assemble and test after lunch. I'm hoping it's a smooth runner...

settem

The shaft can be straightened on that old mower if you want to keep it around for rough cuts. 

I had one straitened years ago, it was cheap, and the shop that did it didn’t want the engine disassembled. 

markbrit

I got a huskavarna mower this Spring after the 20 year old Craftsman finally quit. The phrase "they don't make 'em like the used to" applies here...lots of plastic, where metal used to be.

Although the new Briggs & Stratton motor needs no priming and seems to be running good...so that is kinda cool. 1-2 pulls and it fires up.

paul frey

My Craftsman ride-on died at the end of last year.  The engine was good but it kept breaking the shift link.  I got tired of replacing it and went out and bought a Toro zero turn.  In 27 years I have been through 3 ride-on mowers like the Craftsman.  Spoke with a dealer and he stated that they really are designed to last about 8-9 years.  The Toro was twice the cost of a Craftsman type mower but if it lasts me twice as long, my mowing days should be over by then:D.  I'm 54 now. 

Brad Eden

This one runs smoother. I'll put it to the test later after grass dries from last nights rain.

MNice
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

My ancient Craftsman heavy as lead high wheel push mower died, or let's say the last time I bent the blade using it like a bushhog...bent the main shaft. (Inherited this old mower from previous house owners)

The engines are pretty simple to rebuild...I had the same problem and luckily the cylinder wasn't damaged so I replaced the broken components in two beers time.

Brad Eden

The rear high wheels were held on with huge washers and bailing wire as well on the old mower. It needed to be put out to pasture. 

vabirddog
4 hours ago, paul frey said:

he stated that they really are designed to last about 8-9 years.  The Toro was twice the cost of a Craftsman type mower but if it lasts me twice as long, my mowing days should be over by then:D.  I'm 54 now. 

My dad will still jump on the mower and mow his grass if I dont beat him to it, he's 92!

Brad Eden

Yeah, good move swapping this push mower out. This one runs much smoother. Cheapy, but happy for now.👍

bill
8 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I have a JD Rider so only use the push mower for edge work and tight areas, and at camp to mow the front and along road property lines.

Decided on the Yard Machine 21 inch high wheel from Home Depot. Bought it a couple weeks ago. (My properties are hilly and rough in places and the high wheels are a must) It's a decent but cheap mower, OK reviews, NOT self propelled for under $200. Im not spending a lot of cash on a push mower I don't use a lot.

Easy to assemble, real light and nimble. Like it. Started up no problem but ran poorly, sputtering and sounding like a mower having ethanol issues. I used FRESH treated gas so couldn't understand it. Not real bad but not good for a brand new mower. I pulled the plug and saw the prong over electrode was bent to side a little. Aha! I bent it back and re-gapped to spec. Still running rough. Got a new plug. Still running rough. Enough dicking around on a new purchase.

Brought it back to HD this morning and brought home a brand new one of the same model. Will assemble and test after lunch. I'm hoping it's a smooth runner...

1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

Yeah, good move swapping this push mower out. This one runs much smoother. Cheapy, but happy for now.👍

if you haveLOWES close they have new battery 40 amps mowers on sale 299,00 at least down  South for small  yard  think it would do great.

homelessadam

I cut grass for a living and I refuse to push mow. We don’t even carry one in the truck. If a zero turn can’t get it, I weedwack. 

Coalman

Bought a 22" Toro Recycler self propelled in 2008. It has been through heck. Especially at camp.

But she's a war veteran and still fighting. 

Brad Eden

I've had a few self propelled, mostly Sears Craftsman I think. They are great if you mow a fair share of lawn. I use a lawn tractor for 90% and only do edges and a tiny bit at camp to give it the appearance it's being used and not abandoned. So I don't need one. One time I really went hog wild and bought a self-propelled Husqvarna. Relatively expensive, with all the bells and whistles including the ability to adjust walking speed with a squeeze lever on the handle. After the first 1/2 hour of mowing average length, dry grass, the speed control stopped working and the machine felt sluggish. I took off the cover that's over the front self propelled wheel gears. Everything was packed with clipped grass. Hmmmmm, looked at manual. It said to clean under that housing and those gears once a season. Cleaned out the grass, replaced cover, mowed again, same thing. Took off cover, packed with grass. That went back to the dealer. I was surprised since Husqvarana had a reputation for good engineering.