FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Dave Rice

Beretta SP1 vs. CSMC Revelation 20ga

Dave Rice

My brother is looking for a new O/U 20ga. He was sold on a Beretta SP1, then I confused matters by sending him info on a CSMC Revelation (https://connecticutshotgun.com/product/csmc-20-gauge-revelation-shotgun/) that has an introductory price matching the Beretta. I love my own SP1 that I've had for many years, shoot it well, and have put many thousands of rounds through without issue. 

Opinions on CMSC guns valued, including the ability to get them serviced/repaired without sending them home to the factory.

Thanks!

Dave

steveziv

The SP1 is pretty plain looking compared to the Revelation or the Rizzini BR110

OTOH, the SP1 is a proven performer, readily repaired with, I'd expect, better resale value.

lee sykes

It depends on what you like.  The stock dimensions will be a bit different.  The wood finish is nicer on the Revelation but it has no engraving. It does have real bone charcoal case colors which He may or may not like.  The bright finish on the Beretta with the engraving is nice too.  They are both well designed and Will function well.  I would guess that Rich Cole could work on either gun though a continent away from you. 

gunsrus

Don't have one yet ............. but I think the Revelation is pretty special . Special order the upgrade wood for a couple bucks is definitely the deal maker in my book . SP1 new wood is very plain and to jazz will cost you a lot more . 

lee sykes
10 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

Don't have one yet ............. but I think the Revelation is pretty special . Special order the upgrade wood for a couple bucks is definitely the deal maker in my book . SP1 new wood is very plain and to jazz will cost you a lot more . 

and there's that..

Dave Rice

Yep. If I were in the market, the Revelation with upgraded wood would be my choice. That's a nice piece of wood for a very reasonable upgrade price.

gunsrus

I have been thinking along the lines of buying a 30" barrel for my Beretta Black Onyx that has 28" barrels . Consider it a sub gauge Sporting Clays gun . Cost of the barrel is $1300 and Coles fit another $200 . Total $1500 and what I've already sunk into it .

The Revelation nixed that idea completely . 30" with wood upgrade , that's the way to go .  

bgreen

I'm very interested in perspectives on these two guns as well as the Rizzini BR110, which has a similar price point.  I'm particularly interested in people's opinions on how they handle comparatively.  To me, a key upside to the Reveleation is that you can get it with an English stock.  

lee sykes
14 minutes ago, bgreen said:

I'm very interested in perspectives on these two guns as well as the Rizzini BR110, which has a similar price point.  I'm particularly interested in people's opinions on how they handle comparatively.  To me, a key upside to the Reveleation is that you can get it with an English stock.  

i have a B. Rizzini with round knob, half pistol grip and a revelation with straight grip.  Both 20s, They both handle like light game guns.   The grip on the BR110 looks like it is more closed.  I've owned the Rizzini for 15 years.  The Revelation, just a few months but I've always liked light, straight gripped guns for brush busting. At 6 lbs even with 28" barrels, the Rev is as light as any gun I own.  The Rizzini doesn't weigh much more.

salmontogue

You will likely find the furniture on the B. Rizzini and CSMC Revelation to be noticeably nicer than what is typical on the Beretta.  All three guns will outlast you many times over if properly maintained.

Perk

Jazz4Brazo
1 hour ago, gunsrus said:

I have been thinking along the lines of buying a 30" barrel for my Beretta Black Onyx that has 28" barrels . Consider it a sub gauge Sporting Clays gun . Cost of the barrel is $1300 and Coles fit another $200 . Total $1500 and what I've already sunk into it .

The Revelation nixed that idea completely . 30" with wood upgrade , that's the way to go .  

...Revelation comes with standard stock dimensions which means you will likely need to add a pad, bend the stock, plu some additional fittings g work puts in the $700 - $800 additional cost...seems to me the 30" barrels on the BO is the way to go given you already have it stocked to your dimensions.

BTW, does anyone know whether 686 stocks are interchangeable i.e. pay to get a stock set up the way you want and wondering  can then you move it to another 686 platform in the future?

J4B

gunsrus

Pierre , Revelation stock dimensions are right on for me for a single trigger gun . Only difference is I prefer LOP 14 5/8 . I can deal with 1/8

I may have to bend for cast off 3/16" 

$2350 buys a lot of gun . And .......as we already know , I like guns . 😀

LOP 14 1/2

DAC 1 1/2

DAH 2 3/8

MNSpaniels

A lot of excitement for the Revelation out there. I know I was. Still am, despite sending it back due to finish issues. 

Sent it back almost two months ago. Never heard a word from them. Finally emailed and was told the shop would be sending it back this past week. Not a peep and no gun. Certainly no apology or offer to pay for the cost of my return shipping. 

I hope, whenever I do get it back, that they made it right. 

I understand this is a low end gun for CSMC but if they can’t make it with consistent quality at that price, don’t make it. Certainly don’t pull at the heart strings/loyalty of Americans as an American made gun.

At this point, I’d recommend going with a B or B.R. gun. 

Hope I change my mind when I receive mine back.

Zoli 16ga.
2 hours ago, gunsrus said:

Pierre , Revelation stock dimensions are right on for me for a single trigger gun . Only difference is I prefer LOP 14 5/8 . I can deal with 1/8

I may have to bend for cast off 3/16" 

$2350 buys a lot of gun . And .......as we already know , I like guns . 😀

LOP 14 1/2

DAC 1 1/2

DAH 2 3/8

Why try to reinvent the wheel....what gunsrus says....he's been there and bought that many times over.

personally I've never felt like the SP1 is good value....but what do i know.

quailguy
On 8/2/2018 at 8:47 PM, Zoli 16ga. said:

personally I've never felt like the SP1 is good value....but what do i know.

Agree^^^ and I had one in 20 and in 28. As Perk sez they'll last but there is too much fake wood and uninspiring engraving there for me. I dunno if "value" is the precisely correct word, but the SPI simply doesn't trip my trigger. Lot rather have a Revelation or B Rizinni. Or Don's Miroku 28 gauge. 😊